Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

John Coltrane with Pharoah Sanders, Alice Coltrane, Jimmy Garrison & Rashied Ali playing 'Peace on Earth' live in Tokyo, 1966:

John Coltrane - soprano, alto and tenor saxophones, bass clarinet, percussionAlice Coltrane - pianoPharaoh Sanders - alto and tenor saxophones, bass clarinet...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
      John Coltrane with Pharoah Sanders, Alice Coltrane, Jimmy Garrison & Rashied Ali playing 'Peace on Earth' live in Tokyo, 1966:

John Coltrane - soprano, alto and tenor saxophones, bass clarinet, percussionAlice Coltrane - pianoPharaoh Sanders - alto and tenor saxophones, bass clarinet...

JR
      And what a truly wonderful documentary!!! For once, the narrative did not stop at Love Supreme - the point many still think of as the final apex - but tackled the later work. Lovely film footage of Trane with members of his family. Benny Golson was marvellous in recalling their early days - always the perfect gentleman of jazz. Were people to take on board the message powering Coltrane's music, (and read Alan Watts' The Way of Zen too, btw!) half the world's problems would be solved - the other half being about dismantling privilege and abuse of power.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Roll Call’ – Hank Mobley
        with Freddie Hubbard, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Art Blakey
        Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          And what a truly wonderful documentary!!! For once, the narrative did not stop at Love Supreme - the point many still think of as the final apex - but tackled the later work. Lovely film footage of Trane with members of his family. Benny Golson was marvellous in recalling their early days - always the perfect gentleman of jazz. Were people to take on board the message powering Coltrane's music, (and read Alan Watts' The Way of Zen too, btw!) half the world's problems would be solved - the other half being about dismantling privilege and abuse of power.
          Yes, a fascinating documentary on Coltrane's life and music although I could have done without the comments from Bill Clinton & Carlos Santana. Thanks to elmo for alerting us to this programme.
          I see there's a cheap CD 'Chasing Trane' which includes a lot of music heard in the film.
          I did own a copy of Alan Watts' 'The Way of Zen' back in the '60s and will have to try reading it again.

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            Yes, a fascinating documentary on Coltrane's life and music although I could have done without the comments from Bill Clinton & Carlos Santana. Thanks to elmo for alerting us to this programme.
            I see there's a cheap CD 'Chasing Trane' which includes a lot of music heard in the film.
            I did own a copy of Alan Watts' 'The Way of Zen' back in the '60s and will have to try reading it again.

JR
            I agree, could've done without Bill Clinton and Santana. But otherwise - very good (I've just finished watching it). Lots of nice home footage and unusual for a documentary in that there were stretches which were just of Coltrane playing without someone talking over it. I think I will put some Coltrane on now, in fact...

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Kenny Dorham sings and plays 'Chicago Blues' with Jimmy Heath, Walter Bishop, Percy Heath & Kenny Clarke in New York, 1953:

PersonnelKenny Dorham—Trumpet, Vocal On #10 And 11Jimmy Heath—Tenor And Baritone SaxophonesWalter Bishop—PianoPercy Heath—BassKenny Clarke—DrumsComposers1. A...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                I agree, could've done without Bill Clinton and Santana. But otherwise - very good (I've just finished watching it). Lots of nice home footage and unusual for a documentary in that there were stretches which were just of Coltrane playing without someone talking over it. I think I will put some Coltrane on now, in fact...
                I enjoyed the programme, SA was right it was good to see time devoted to the post ALS music. I especially liked those short clips of "Vigil" I haven't seen that film before.

I have been listening to Trane from all era's today starting with the first Trane records I bought eon's ago - Trane/Monk quartet ep (Nutty, Trinkle Tinkle) and "West 42nd street" an underrated album with wilbur Harden from 1958 and finishing with "acknowledgment" from the just issued ALS live in Seattle.

elmo

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                  I enjoyed the programme, SA was right it was good to see time devoted to the post ALS music. I especially liked those short clips of "Vigil" I haven't seen that film before.
                  Agreed. And yes - I think I'd forgotten or not realised they played 'Vigil' at that Belgium concert.

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                  I have been listening to Trane from all era's today starting with the first Trane records I bought eon's ago - Trane/Monk quartet ep (Nutty, Trinkle Tinkle) and "West 42nd street" an underrated album with wilbur Harden from 1958 and finishing with "acknowledgment" from the just issued ALS live in Seattle.

elmo

I listened to 'My Favorite Things' from the Last Newport Concert (of which footage was shown on the documentary, with sound dubbed onto it) from 1966. Today I think I'll listen to some Trane and Monk, Live at the Five Spot perhaps...

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Charles Mingus with Eric Dolphy, Clifford Jordan, Jaki Byard & Dannie Richmond playing an astonishing 43-minute version of 'Fables of Faubus' in Stuttgart on April 28, 1964:

Charles Mingus featuring Eric Dolphy, "Fables of Faubus", live in Stuttgart 1964Musicians:·Charles Mingus (bass)·Eric Dolphy (alto sax, flute, bass clarinet)...

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                      • Dec 2010

Ethan Iverson p, Peter Washington b, Al Foster d from Mezzrow in NYC livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O53JIGXHSDs

The trio are playing standards - very nice. Just finishing off "Good Bait".
                      Last edited by Tenor Freak; 16-04-22, 01:31. Reason: in E flat
                      all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                        Ethan Iverson p, Peter Washington b, Al Foster d from Mezzrow in NYC livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O53JIGXHSDs

The trio are playing standards - very nice. Just finishing off "Good Bait".
                        Bruce

Have you heard Iveson's album which re-worked Bud Powell's music? I have to say that I was really surprised that he produced something some fascinating in a field of jazz that I had never really associated him with. The music re-visited by an Italian big band with soloists such as Ingrid Jenson and Dayna Stephens with Powell compositions featuring alongside originals which have their origins in the pianist's work. It is fascinating. A few years back Stephen Lehman did a similar if more radical re-imagining of a few Bud Powell works. Iveson was looking to re-casting Powell's work in a more contemporary light whereas Lehman seemed to be using Powell as a starting point for developing his own musical vocabulary. I like the original recordings very much and think it is fascinating the contemporary musicians see something within Powell's work that can be made relevant for the 21st century. It is almost like re-casting Powell as a Jazz Bach where there is sufficient within the originals to enable you to do this. A few of the tracks on the Iveson disc are straight ahead and recalled Dizzy Gillespie's be-bop big band but , for the most part, Iveson is pretty radical.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘New Soil’ - Jackie McLean
                          with Donald Byrd, Walter Davis JR, Paul Chambers & Pete LaRoca
                          Blue Note (1959)

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                            • Dec 2010

Seawind - "He Loves You" (CTI, 1976). I'm prepared to overlook their God-bothering ways as this is a superb recording.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                              Today I think I'll listen to some Trane and Monk, Live at the Five Spot perhaps...
                              Actually, I'm just now getting round to listening to this...

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                                • Dec 2010

"The Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive Ass Slippers" - Mingus with orchestra, etc. from LP "Let My Children Hear Music" (CBS, 1972)

Comment

Working...
                                X