Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never Ellied? - Try it, you Mark my Murphy

Just trying to keep the level of punning down to my usual standards...

Sat 9 Jan
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton introduces listeners' requests for a new box set by Duke Ellington, which includes his meeting with Dizzy Gillespie on the 1959 album Jazz Party.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Another chance to hear a programme broadcast in August last year...

Darius Brubeck at Edinburgh Fringe, Alison Affleck performing Billie-associated material, etc etc.

A special edition from the Edinburgh Fringe with music from the Darius Brubeck Quartet.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    A feast of great jazz singing introducing surreal, rhapsodic, madly swinging selections by vocal virtuoso Kurt Elling and his mentor Mark Murphy, who died in October.

Geoffrey Smith celebrates vocal virtuoso Kurt Elling and his mentor, the late Mark Murphy.

I once made the mistake of putting "Bitches Brew" on at a dinner party Mark Murphy was at. "Aargh!! - take that off!!! - music to do your hooverin' to".

Mon 11 Jan
    11.00 Jazz on 3

Jez Nelson's second programme of highlights from the annual festival and industry expo Jazahead! 2015, which took place in April in Bremen, Germany. With music from saxophonist Thomas de Pourquery and his group Supersonic, quirky piano and drums duo Donkey Monkey and young quintet Papanosh

I once worked with a bloke called Don Keys. From Yorkshire he was. Just thought I'd mention that cos I hate terms like industry expo being applied to this music... Anyway:

A selection of French bands recorded at the 2015 Jazzahead! festival in Bremen.

Might also be worth mentioning The Jazz Ambassadors of the Cold War - next Tuesday at 4 pm on Radio 4. Something rings a bell about that programme title, but RT doesn't mention anything about it being a repeat:

Julian Joseph tells the story of how some of the biggest jazz musicians toured the world in the name of democracy, only to turn the tables on the US government that had sent them [ my emphasis] Contributors include Dizzy Gilespie's drummer Charlie Persip, jazz impresario George Wein, Penny Von Eschen, Professsor of History at the University of Michigan, and Louis Armstrong's biographer Ricky Riccardi

Mark Murphy is the last depth of hell in Dante's Inferno. There's a 1969 British "Swinging London" cult comedy drama film on Youtube ("Just like a woman") where Wendy Craig (yes her) sings a "hip" duet with the dreaded Marko in a night club. A match richly deserved. There is a Satan.

BN.

Comment

It is strange that I concur with Bluesnik's opinion of Mark Murphy but I really enjoy Kurt Elling's music. Elling seems to have perfected Murphy's concept and has a far better voice. It also helps that Elling's music is arranged by Laurence Hopgood.

Comment

Working...
      X