• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile balls through the Claw Room

Sat 23 Jan
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

5.00 jazz Line-Up
    Swiss pianist Nik Bartsch* performs with his acoustic quartet Mobile at the 2015 London Jazz Festival in a mix of funk, contemporary classical and Japanese ritual music. Recorded on the Jazz Line-Up stage at the Clore Ballroom in the Southbank Centre with Kaspar Rast (drums), Sha (saxophone), Nicolas Stocker (percussion) and Nik Bartsch* (piano)

*With umlaut

Nik Bartsch performs with his acoustic quartet Mobile at the 2015 EFG London Jazz Festival

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith turns his attention to the work of Teddy Wilson (1912-86), the Texas-born pianist famous for breaking the "colour bar" in jazz. Wilson starred with Benny Goodman, made classic recordings with Billie Holiday and set a lifelong standard for impeccable musicianship

Geoffrey Smith picks some favourite tracks from pianist Teddy Wilson (1912-86).

Mon 25 Jan
    11.00 Jazz on 3

Music recorded at Adventures in sound at the 2015 London Jazz Festival, featuring performances by Samuel Blaser and his quartet and Julie Kjaer with John Edwards and Steve Noble

I urge everyone to give this one a go. I don't know Samual Blaser, but I do Julie Kjaer, an amazing alto player from Denmark and lovely person, whom I saw at my jazz local a couple of years ago. She's with the incomparable John Edwards on bass and Steve Noble, probably my favourite "free" drummer on the British scene.

Samuel Blaser and Julie Kjaer at Adventures in Sound at the 2015 EFG London Jazz Festival.

The Paul Bley solo piano, "Afterthoughts" on JRR is from me. Certainly the first time I've ever requested a track on ECM. I will never again be able to hold my head up at our local Bull Moose Jackson fan club meetings. Well, not for a long long time. I will probably get angry shouts of "get back to yer cathedral!" down the bop bistro.

A very evocative and moving track anyway. RIP Paul.

BN.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      The Paul Bley solo piano, "Afterthoughts" on JRR is from me. Certainly the first time I've ever requested a track on ECM. I will never again be able to hold my head up at our local Bull Moose Jackson fan club meetings. Well, not for a long long time. I will probably get angry shouts of "get back to yer cathedral!" down the bop bistro.

A very evocative and moving track anyway. RIP Paul.

BN.
      The penultimate track is another Paul Bley; and the last one Bruce Turner's Jump Band - which I never saw.

PS - Thanks, you know who you are, for calling up the Rollins "All The Things You Are" track.
      Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 23-01-16, 16:50. Reason: Spotted too late!

Comment

I was impressed for a change by almost everything I heard on Monday's Jon3 - the Paul Bley theme was like a thread linking three of the four pianists featured in the different groups - all of whom showed a similar flexibility. Ethan Iverson is due on next week talking about Mr Bley - something to look forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I was impressed for a change by almost everything I heard on Monday's Jon3 - the Paul Bley theme was like a thread linking three of the four pianists featured in the different groups - all of whom showed a similar flexibility. Ethan Iverson is due on next week talking about Mr Bley - something to look forward to.
          A lot of interesting stuff/reflections re Bley on the current Do the Maths website (Iverson).

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            A lot of interesting stuff/reflections re Bley on the current Do the Maths website (Iverson).

Found it!

Comment

Working...
            X