X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Among the goodies JLU introduces Rachel Cohen, Jon3 remembers Paul Bley

Sat 30 Jan
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton plays a 1929 recording by Ben Pollack and his Orchestra with trombonist Jack Teagarden

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Claire Martin introduces a performance by saxophonist Rachel Cohen and her quartet, recorded in June at the Glasgow Jazz Festival. In Kevin Le Gendre's monthly feature Now's the Time, profiling a classic album,he chooses See the Light - the 1976 release by American keyboardist Eddie Russ. And reporter Sebastian Scotney explores connections between jazz and sports.

A performance given by saxophonist Rachael Cohen at the 2015 Glasgow Jazz Festival.

This one could keep running and running...

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    As part of Radio 3's Folk Connections Geoffrey Smith surveys the folk-jazz connection from the likes of Lead Belly to Jan Garbarek and Dizzy Gillespie

Geoffrey Smith surveys the deep roots shared between jazz and folk music.

That's what it says in RT. How about Danny Thompson's Whatever - the band including John Etheridge that had the Shetland Island pullover brigaders demanding their entry money back in '92?

Notable quotes:

Louis Armstrong (or was it Bill Broonzy?): "I ain't never heard no horse singin' it".

Keith Tippett: "Well if this is folk music, then what my band plays is folk music".

Elgar: "I am folk music".

Mon 1 Feb
    Jazz on 3

Jez Nelson and guests select their favourite new releases and pay tribute to Canadian pianist Paul Bley, who died last month at the age of 83

A round-up of the best new releases on vinyl and a tribute to pioneering pianist Paul Bley

We shall be listening.

Actually, despite the billing, Teagarden and Pollack didn't quite make it into this week's JRR. Full running order on my website as above or here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06yjdqr

Comment

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
      Actually, despite the billing, Teagarden and Pollack didn't quite make it into this week's JRR. Full running order on my website as above or here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06yjdqr
      Thanks, Alyn.

Comment

"the connection between sports and jazz"

How many people know that one of Monk's key compositions was in fact inspired by Max Roach's speed, accuracy and ballplay down the left wing when they played Sunday league soccer together in Central Park?

"Brilliant Corners".

I'll get my laces.

BN.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          "the connection between sports and jazz"

How many people know that one of Monk's key compositions was in fact inspired by Max Roach's speed, accuracy and ballplay down the left wing when they played Sunday league soccer together in Central Park?

"Brilliant Corners".

I'll get my laces.

BN.
          That's just about right, I think. I have a feeling this is a repeat, and Scotney was only able to show an extremely weak connection.

After all, what serious athlete is going to burn the midnight oil at a Jazz club, when they should be wrapped up in bed?

However, I hope I'm proved wrong.

Comment

It is staggering to think that someone has requested a Ben Pollack track. I have only ever once heard this band on the radio although they were really prolific in the recording studio. I can't remember the title of the record but it was far better than I had imagined. The clips you can find on Youtube seem to be dance band material which belays his originals as the drummer with the New Orleans Rhythm Kings.

Art Blakey is usually held up as the greatest discoverer and promoter of new jazz talent but it when it came to the degree of success of his sidemen, Pollack was probably far more successful. The likes of Benny Goodman, the Teagarden brothers, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, harry James and Charlie Spivak all passed through his bands and had far greater success. Nowadays, if he is remember at all, it is due to his association with these future bandleaders and as composer of "Tin Roof Blues. " To add insult to injury, I believe he hired a singer for the band who eventually became his wife. It was his desire to feature her singer that caused a schism in the band which ultimately led the musical director to kick Pollack out and replace him with Bob Crosby who then went on to lead the band to greater success with a then contemporary spin on Dixieland jazz albeit somewhat exaggerated. The critic / promoter John Hammond hated Bob Crosby's band because of the supposed retrospective feel of the band but these days it is easier to see the band as a forerunner of bands like Steve Bernstein's MTO where historic jazz and current pop music is mashed up together by contemporary players.

This track is quite good and actually features a decent bit of trumpet by Harry James very much in the mould of Red Allen. Shame he mutated into such a tasteless showman who deserted jazz. However, there are quite a few Pollack tracks on Youtube that seem to have little to do with jazz.

Comment

Re JRR: Not sure who requested the Griffin "Kerry Dancers" track, an album which should not have worked (reworked folk tunes on one LP side) but is just great.

The Alain Goraguer track is interesting too, not great, he was more an arranger, but I'm a sucker for French jazz of that period. Interesting how the French "got" jazz but their pop music was so often inept. Athough Ms Fran Hardy was always a secret vice (if only).

BN.

Well, really enjoyable program. And a few "old" name requesters, Patrick John and Victor Schonfield...and Herr Taylor of this patch.

And hey, if Johnny Griffin wants to drop a jokey quote, no yellow card, lunch with the directors!

BN.
              Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 30-01-16, 18:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                [B]Sat 30 Jan

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
                Claire Martin introduces a performance by saxophonist Rachel Cohen and her quartet, recorded in June at the Glasgow Jazz Festival. In Kevin Le Gendre's monthly feature Now's the Time, profiling a classic album,he chooses See the Light - the 1976 release by American keyboardist Eddie Russ. And reporter Sebastian Scotney explores connections between jazz and sports.

A performance given by saxophonist Rachael Cohen at the 2015 Glasgow Jazz Festival.

This one could keep running and running...
                Nice set by Rachel Cohen - bit too much talk for a one hour show though.

Could do without Jimmy Cricket and his sports and jazz slot...

hopefully it will run out (right out of the room).

OG

P.S. When are we going to get our additional half hour of jazz back?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

hopefully it will run out (right out of the room).

OG

P.S. When are we going to get our additional half hour of jazz back?

Agreed OG. But if JLU has to roll out time-fillers like this, with very little Jazz content, it may not encourage R3 management to grant us another 30 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post

Agreed OG. But if JLU has to roll out time-fillers like this, with very little Jazz content, it may not encourage R3 management to grant us another 30 minutes!
                    Yep, that is my concern too.

OG

Comment

No reference to jazz and sport would be complete without mention jazz saxophone playing centre forward Dion Dublin's invention the Dube:-

http://www.thedube.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                        No reference to jazz and sport would be complete without mention jazz saxophone playing centre forward Dion Dublin's invention the Dube:-

http://www.thedube.com/
                        I've just thought up a word to describe it: dubious.

Comment

SA

I think the Dube actually looks quite interesting. Always been a fan of Dion Dublin , one of the "nice guys" in football. Interesting to see that one of the musicians endorsing the Dube is Courtney Pine.

Comment

SA

I think the Dube actually looks quite interesting. Always been a fan of Dion Dublin , one of the "nice guys" in football. Interesting to see that one of the musicians endorsing the Dube is Courtney Pine.
                            They probably don't have the rich resonance of African drums, but as low-budget alternatives they're fine.

Comment

SA

Dublin is not considered one of the nice guys od football at Coventry - he refused to play in order to get a move.

Comment

Working...
                              X