No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If only he'd kept that name...

Sat 6 Feb - 4 pm Jazz Record Requests
    Alyn Shipton gives listeners another chance to share their favourite jazz records, including Dinah Washington's 1958 performance of the old Marks and Simons standard All of me.

5 pm - Jazz Line-Up
    Trumpeter Laura Jurd, the current BBC Radio 3 New Generation Jazz Artist, performs with pianist Elliott Galvin.

Hey Ian: Thelma from Scooby Doo meets Harry Potter

Trumpeter Laura Jurd performs in a duo setting with pianist Elliot Galvin.

12 midnight - Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith anticipates Tuesday's Mardi Gras with a tribute to New orleans pianist and composer Jelly Roll Morton (1891-1941), born Ferdinand LaMoth. He revisits the performer's famous interviews at the Library of Congress in 1938, and introduces music from the great days of the Crescent City.

Mon 8 Feb - 11 pm Jazz on 3
    Jez Nelson presents more music from the 2015 Vision Festival in New York City, featuring saxophonist Tony malaby and his latest project TubaCello.

Featuring Tony Malaby's TubaCello in concert at the 2015 Vision Festival in New York City.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 05-02-16, 16:20. Reason: date eror

Many thanks, S_A
    Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 06-02-16, 11:09.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Pedants' corner - Morton was born Ferdinand Joseph Lamothe (New Grove Dictionary of Jazz details the research that led to this definitive conclusion, by the late Larry Gushee).

Comment

There are some amazingly brilliant tracks on the programme this afternoon. The Spike Hughes arrangement that feature Coleman Hawkins is pretty incredible and the Shorter track from the quartet is one of my favourite too. Good to hear the Slim Gaillard track too as, although it is pretty ridiculous, I have always felt that it was really good fun to listen to. Funny that Jug band records continue to be requested - long may that continue!! I suppose that the promised for Ben Pollack track will be next week. I am very intrigued to hear this.

Comment

Good range of tracks played on both JRR and JLU yesterday, I thought. I was particularly pleased to hear a track from the latest (and probably last) release by Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia - The Last Fandango

[AND we got our extra half hour of jazz back]

OG

Comment

Working...
          X