X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

A Pulitzer prize for Threadgill...

"Since the 1990s, the Pulitzer Prize board has struggled to liberate the award from the grip of classical music.

On Monday, that campaign took another a dramatic step forward, with eminent, Chicago-born-and-raised composer-instrumentalist Henry Threadgill winning for his brilliant album of 2015, “In for a Penny, In for a Pound” (Pi Recordings)."

- Chicago Tribune.
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Seems a bit overdue but Threadgill has always seemed a bit marginal even though I am always reminded of Jelly Roll Morton whenever I hear his bands with their odd use of rhythm and attention to juxtaposing different combinations of instruments from within his ensembles. The tracks from his latest double CD seem a bit dense from the performance that is available on YouTube. I think the fact that we was living in India for a long while ensured that he was outside of the public eye. Threadgill's latest band includes British guitarist Liberty Ellman who is extremely impressive and frequently crops up with more forward-thinking leaders.

This little documentary which features Henry Threagill is quite intriguing but it is staggering to see that these musicians seems quite elderly now. I would still listen to their music than a lot of the newer stuff - I suppose they still have the connection to the heritage so newer musicians don't necessarily have. I used to find Roscoe Mitchell shocking but he now seems to be someone with great integrity and maybe more "within the tradition" that might have seemed when I was discovering jazz as a teenager.

The more I listen to jazz from Chicago, the more important it seems. I can appreciate that many of the musicians in the current scene originate from other states and, indeed, other countries, but it is much more interesting than the current New York mainstream.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Prize or no prize I've always listened to Threadgill's work with great pleasure. I've only seen him once, just under twenty years ago, but he and the rest of the band were electrifying. Also he was wearing the coolest suit I have ever seen.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
        • Dec 2010

Thoroughly deserved, should have happened years ago, Threadgill is excellent. Particularly love Very Very Circus.

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

Working...
        X