X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

III ~ "Our thing 2"

I received a fascinating CD as a present for my birthday over the weekend and , having given the disc a good spin over the last few days, feel compelled to share my enthusiasm on this board. The title of the record is simply called "III" and was released by Criss-Cross, a label I had hitherto not particularly appreciated.

The record in question is by a young, American tenor player called "Walter Smith III" who I believe is still in his twenties as are all the other band members other than pianisr Jason Moran and drummer , Eric Harland. Joe Sanders, the bassist with Gerald Clayton's trio fleshes out the rhythm section. Alto player Logan Richardson also crops up on one track which isn't really sufficient to show how impressive he is too - it is more of a cameo appearance. Whilst the tenor player alone is sufficiently impressive to merit attention, the star attraction for me is the trumpet player Ambrose Akinmusire. I saw his last year with an all-star group led by Michel Portal and was impressed then but this record lets you get to grips with what his playing is all about with the benefit of repeated listening.

The liner notes includes mention of the influence of Andrew Hill and Sam Rivers and the full line up certainly suggests the classic "Our thing" disc made by Joe Henderson in the 1960's. Smith's playing is fully formed and the rhythm section is terrific, especially Eric Harland whose drumming holds the whole ensemble together and drives the horns. However, the trumpet playing is absolutely incredible and Akinmusire is probably the only player I have heard who is definately taking his cues from the almost un-trumpet like approach of Kenny Dorham. Small wonder that he is attracting so much attention in the States! His playing owes a lot to Dorham's sound but , with the advantage of 50 years of jazz development, the technique fizzes in a fashion that is far more contemporary. He is a far more unorthodox player than someone like Roy Hargrove but firmly rooted in jazz tradition as opposed to Improv. Akinmusire almost treats the trumpet like a saxophone in the way that he executes his lines - he is a breath of fresh air in my opinion.

The only downside is that the compositions are not especially memorable even if some of the convoluted themes are under-pinned by a sinuous groove. "Moran-ish" is the pick of the bunch but once this group actually starts to blow, it is the quality of the soloing that grabs the ears. What is good is that this record has none of the trappings that a major label might have insisted upon so that the groups largely holds it's own identity. (The exceptions being a duo with Moran, a bass , tenor drums trio and the quinetet with Richardson.) The playing time is generous as well. Staggering that this is only Smith's third disc but all of these newcomers (Richardson, Akinmisure, Sanders, Smith) have very impressive CV's. Fascinating to read that Jason Moran has acted as a mentor to the likes of Smith too.

For me, this disc promises a lot for the future and definately something that Calum , Bluesnik and especially Jazzrook will want to track down. A quality album and one of the best of the year so far along with the Lovano "Bird " ablum.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Many happy returns, Ian. Have a great weekend!

S-A

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

yep Ian a happy birthday to you ...

30 May – Blue Note Records latest signing, US trumpeter Ambrose Akinmusire presents his debut album.
      ...from the Jon3 newsletter
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Kenny Dorham is a (my) jass God... "Quiet Kenny" and "Whistle Stop" (bought on B/note import on first release) are still food for the soul 50 years on. I was re-reading Miles's autobiog recently where Kenny sat in with Miles' quintet and took him apart. Miles later saw Jackie Mclean in the club and said, "Hey, did that happen?" Jackie said, "Yeah Miles, he REALLY cut you!"

Happy birthday Ian.

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
          • Nov 2010

Walter Smith III was one of the finalists in the 2002 Montreux Jazz festival Saxophone competition, for which I chaired the judges. He was a brilliant player then, and he won the audience vote as the most popular player of the contest. He was beaten in the final playoff, in the judges' opinion (and the judges that year included Lee Konitz, David Sanborn, Kirk Whalum and Jean Toussaint) by someone called Soweto Kinch...

Comment

• charles t
            • Nov 2010

Ian: Inasmuch as you are 'celebrating' - not - merely 'observing' your arrival on the planet, here is a (to-be-self-purchased) gift which you will heartily dig.

A 21st Century published opus devoted to interviews with 'Today's Living Legends And The Artists of Tomorrow' entitled:

The New Face Of Jazz by Cicily Janus (foreward by Marcus MIller...afterward by Sonny Rollins)

DomainMarket.com sells premium domain names to entrepreneurs, businesses, and nonprofits that want to dominate their online marketplaces and control great brands.

NPR has a follow-up interview with author, as well:

Writer Cicily Janus spent the last few years of her life compiling a new book of interviews with jazz musicians: both "living legends and the artists of tomorrow." She writes on what, why, and for whom.
            Last edited by charles t; 19-05-11, 04:06.

Comment

• grippie

Hey, Happy birthday Ian and congratulations on The Saints promotion
              cheeeeeeeeeers

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                Walter Smith III was one of the finalists in the 2002 Montreux Jazz festival Saxophone competition, for which I chaired the judges. He was a brilliant player then, and he won the audience vote as the most popular player of the contest. He was beaten in the final playoff, in the judges' opinion (and the judges that year included Lee Konitz, David Sanborn, Kirk Whalum and Jean Toussaint) by someone called Soweto Kinch...
                Klinched, you could say

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Thanks for alerting me to this CD, Ian. It's had some rave reviews on Amazon.com
                  His website can be found at www.waltersmith3.com

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                    • Dec 2010

I'm listening to the Ambrose Akinmusire album on Spotify right now....very good indeed....Happy Birthday Ian!
                    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Norfolk Born

When I first saw the name of this thread, I thought it was the new name and logo for Radio 3. I was quite disappointed when I dissovered my mistake....
                      (Oh, yes, and à propos of sports-related news, I was something of a regular at The Dell in the 1960s. I remember being shocked at having to pay 7/6 (37.5 pence)!!! for a ticket to cheer on Martin Chivers as he helped the England Under-23s beat their Yugoslav opponents 2-0.

Comment

Working...
                      X