BUCKing trends? You gotta be Joe "King"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

BUCKing trends? You gotta be Joe "King"!

Sat 23 July
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton presents listeners' requests in all styles of jazz, including music by trumpeter Buck Clayton, the one-time Count Basie soloist who led a series of all-star jam sessions in the 1950s and 60s.

Caesar adsum iam sessions forte, Brutus aderat, my Latin teacher told me.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    With Claire Martini. A performance by UK saxophonist Andy Sheppard and Italian pianist Rita Marcotulli, recorded in April 2015 at the Gateshead International Jazz Festival

NB - this is a repeat.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Louis Armstrong's revered cornettist Joe "King" Oliver aka "Papa Joe" (1885-1938) brought Satchmo to fame with his fabled Creole Jazz Band. Geoffrey Smith selects records by Oliver and later admirers such as Wynton Marsalis

"O play that thing!"

Geoffrey Smith features cornet player King Oliver of Louis Armstrong's Creole Jazz Band.

Mon 25 July
    11.00 Jazz Now

Netherlands-based trio Tin Men and the Telephone play concerts that interact with an app operated by the audience. Here, Soweto Kinch presents their show from the 2016 Norfolk and Norwich Festival.

Give the audience what the audience gives itself sounds like an ad person's nightmare!

With Tin Men and the Telephone in concert at 2016 the Norfolk and Norwich Festival.

Just to mention the final one of the R3 4-parter mentioned last week is on Tuesday 26 July 10.45 pm:
    The Essay: Meeting the Giants of Jazz

Martin Gayford describes his encounters with pianist Jimmy Rowles, who achieved success as a soloist and a vocal coach in Hollywood

Norma Winstone made Rowles's "The Peacocks" even better, imo, by putting some lyrics of her own to it, whereby (have to be careful here...) it became "A Nameless Place", though everyone who plays it still always calls it "The Peacocks" while name-dropping Norma Winstone. Like I just done. They ain't singing her lyrics, like, so I s'pose that sorta makes it all right, yeah. Just sayin', Norma!

If it doesn't come up in the prog, the story Norma tells about getting to record that song with Jimmy is pretty amazing.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

JRR very good again this week with a good cross section although my "teen inspiration" Jolly Jack Kerouac has not worn at all well! Nice sax from Zoot D'Toot tho. Thought the Chet dedication very moving.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

SA

I am struggling with the Latin and it's significance to JRR. is this a quote from Cicero? What has it got to do with Count Basie?

I hated Latin at school but wish I had retained some knowledge as it would have helped with reading Roman plinths and tombstones albeit these are often written in abbreviation that requires some previous knowledge.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

Read it slowly aloud Ian - Latin it ain't.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
          Read it slowly aloud Ian - Latin it ain't.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

On the subject of the great Buck Clayton, wondered if anyone was aware of this new record? It imagine that it might interest Alyn. I had forgotten about Joe Bushkin although I really loved his playing with Bunny Berigan's under-rated big band from the 1930s'. In this instance, the record is a live quartet with Buck Clayton, Bushkin, Milt Hinton and Jo Jones. The clips seem pretty impressive but Clayton has always struck me as a musician who was always consistent and maybe the most rewarding trumpeter to emerge between the window that say the emergence of Red Allen and Dizzy Gillespie. Clayton is my Dad's favourite trumpeter and I grew up hearing a lot of the ex-Basie-ite's music. On his day, I would have to say Roy Eldridge could play through the stratosphere yet I find Clayton to be far more tasteful and constantly inventive. There is a lot of material by Clayton around from this era yet the line up on this rediscovered live session sounds like it is the perfect example to hear the trumpeter as the sole front line instrument. Bushkin, as far as I am aware, is not over-recorded and whilst Hinton and Jones are mainstream staple, they are probably about as good as pre-bop ever got. I would imagine that the Gerry Mulligan live concert from the same label would appeal to Bluesnik.

http://https://news.allaboutjazz.com...er-15-2016.php

Comment

Working...
            X