• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Happy New Ears to All!

New Year's Eve
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton with the full spectrum of listeners' jazz requests, today featuring music by blues singer Jimmy Witherspoon and saxophonist Dexter Gordon.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Julian Joseph profiles the work of pioneering Chicago-born jazz, funk and electronic musician Herbie Hancock, with help from pianist Jason Rebello. Best known for his Grammy Award-winning 1983 instrumental single Rockit, Hancock has also collaborated with trumpeter Miles Davis, Jaco Pastorius, Joni Mitchell and the Headhunters.

Best known for Rockit?? Hmmm - answers please on a used LP inner sleeve.

Julian Joseph and pianist Jason Rebello profile the music of jazz pioneer Herbie Hancock.

The Midnight Hour - ding-dong, fireworks, drunk dickheads outside accompanying, etc.

It's..........................

Geoffrey Smith's Jazz

Waheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!!!!!

A showcase of trumpeter Roy Eldridge (1911-89)

Oh - it's... a... repeat.............

(Nothing quite like a repeat for getting life off on a fresh start eh?)

Geoffrey Smith surveys the passionate career of trumpet great Roy Eldridge.

Monday 2 January
    11.00 Jazz Now

Music from the 2016 Sounds of Denmark Festival

Danish Blues served up by Denmark's favourite export, Chris Pierre Bacon.

From 2016's Sounds of Denmark Festival, music from Hess Is More and Hess/AC/Hess Spacelab.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 29-12-16, 17:12.
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Happy New Ears Serial_Apologist and to everyone on the Jazz boards.

2017 - Better Betcha!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

A lot of "Hess" in that Danish Jazz "Hess is More" prog...but no Dame Myra. They should cut a track, " More or Hess" or "More Hess less Speed". Endless-hess possibilities.

Anyway, this New Year Eve I will be listening to the Modena City Ramblers play and sing " Bella Ciao", the song of the partisans (on You Tube). A glorious video and noise and one which El Corby should below at the Blairite reactionaries. Before its too late.

Ciao a tutti e buon 2017! And if you see the young Monica Vitti (La Note 1961), send her round my house, I've got a crate of Chianti expresso and half a Panettone left.

BN.

NB, Mose Allison on JRR, good to see Mose's passing recognized. And "Byas a drink" (Dexter), another groovy title.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        A lot of "Hess" in that Danish Jazz "Hess is More" prog...but no Dame Myra. They should cut a track, " More or Hess" or "More Hess less Speed". Endless-hess possibilities.

Anyway, this New Year Eve I will be listening to the Modena City Ramblers play and sing " Bella Ciao", the song of the partisans (on You Tube). A glorious video and noise and one which El Corby should below at the Blairite reactionaries. Before its too late.

Ciao a tutti e buon 2017! And if you see the young Monica Vitti (La Note 1961), send her round my house, I've got a crate of Chianti expresso and half a Panettone left.

BN.

NB, Mose Allison on JRR, good to see Mose's passing recognized. And "Byas a drink" (Dexter), another groovy title.
        I sometimes wonder, with blues singers such as Bessie, Williams and Witherspoon who operate(d) more so-to-speak within the ethos of jazz than rock, whether enough recorded material exists to make a worthwhile programme on any one of them. Mose for instance worked alongside important musicians who more than added to his success as an artist. Perhaps Georgie Fame could do one on him?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

You mean interview material? Not Bessie herself, but certainly the others. I would really like a Georgie Fame autobiography. Apparently he holds a lot of photographic etc material back because he's always promised one. But if you think of the career span and just the "who what and where" he's experienced and played with its quite a list.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            You mean interview material? Not Bessie herself, but certainly the others. I would really like a Georgie Fame autobiography. Apparently he holds a lot of photographic etc material back because he's always promised one. But if you think of the career span and just the "who what and where" he's experienced and played with its quite a list.

BN.
            Sadly neither Joe Williams nor Jimmy Witherspoon are any more, either. That said Georgie Fame would imv make a good presenter/interviewee on anyone anyone thinks he could spiel for a programme's worth. I have him being interviewed by Alyn, possibly, and he comes across as sympathetic as people like Guy Barker and Alan Skidmore have described him as being.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

He did two or three one hour long R2 "My favorite jazz" programs about fifteen years ago? I've got these on C120s (what else), and they are very good, he really loves this stuff, the obvious Mose, but Monk, Clifford, Basie, Adderley, Griffin, Eddie Jefferson, Ray, Randy Weston, etc. He comes informed. He also has a good line on Christine Keeler from her days "hanging" at the Flamingo.

BN.

Comment

Working...
              X