A Collector's Christmas (to myself - from myself)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Collector's Christmas (to myself - from myself)

Woe to me, A Collector. Stumbled across this CD on Ebay, pricey, yet kept nagging at that portion of consciousness dedicated to such stuff.

Needless to say, Christmas is for giving:

A LIVE SUPREME - Takeo Moriyama - A LIVE SUPREME - Takeo Moriyama -
    2007/12/16 12:14 2007/12/16 12:14
    was released yesterday. Early Friday night, where were already on shelves.
    It was recorded live at a concert held in the city on September 20, 2003 Kani, Tanaka Nobumasa \ Japan as well as stress from the United States - George Garzone )tenor) and Abraham Burton )alto sax) Japanese rhythm section led by Takeo Moriyama, drums.
    As can be easily inferred 。 The performances are really hard to require considerable energy to the listener, this year's "new album" as it may be the best one. We recommend that you listen to loud as possible.
    Last edited by charles t; 29-11-10, 17:21.

Comment

I'll post more after I receive from Japan and hear Garzone, Moriyama do their thing on the Trane classic.

Comment

O.K, Charles thanks...

Comment

... waiting to hear what it is like Chas ...

in the meantime this sounds pretty convincing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xUvrb-BJd8

:cool2:
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

For those who do not have the book - A Love Supreme by Ashley Kahn - which has Trane's handwritten album notes:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
            Last edited by charles t; 02-12-10, 20:31.

Comment

And on that note, I picked this up for a song recently:

http://tinyurl.com/39tbrs8

Comment

O.K. - It's here! All the way from Japan. Extremely hard to come by, cdJapan, for instance, has no copies. HMV/Japan only had the one copy. I have read that Japanese issues fall into the rare category because much less cd's are produced.

The music: Sonically, fine concert presence. Introductory notes declaring 'A Love Supreme' blast out of the speakers.

If you have heard George Garzone, then nothing eclipses his work on tenor herein. (His one soprano solo is non-uplifting, to my ears.)

Abraham Burton - of the Mingus Big Band - also on tenor is fine when the moment calls for shorter solos. However, when he stretches his soloing out more; his lack of ideas is a drag.

Listening, it is impossible not to compare the comping by Japanese pianist Nobumasa Tanaka - to the classic McCoy Tyner version. Just the way it is.

Japanese bassist - Yosuke Inoue - has a very full tone; but, understandably gets almost lost in the mix of this hi-decibel production.

Now Takeo Moriyama is the real surprise...Never even having heard of him before. no inevitable comparison, whatsoever, to Elvin Jones' heavy pulsations' style. During the 44" or so, you find yourself actually looking forward to more drum soloing!

"We recommend that you listen to loud as possible."

Comment

...have yourself a really yule Chas!

[how will we ever hear it?]
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Cool man, cool! Hope you get your skooter with the requisite arm-candy. Otherwise, don't place your order!

Comment

Working...
                    X