• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Corea Peaks - Scott Lynched

Sat 9 Sept
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton showcases listeners' requests for music from across all styles and periods of jazz, including a memory of distinctive Ohio-born jazz countertenor Jimmy Scott (1925-2014), who in 1991 reached new audiences appearing in an episode of David Lynch's cult TV series Twin Peaks.

Has anyone heard of Jimmy Scott, apart from the requester?? NB - programme times return to normal this weekend.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Julian Joseph presents a solo performance by virtuoso jazz guitarist MartinTaylor, who has collaborated with artists including jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli, Nashville guitarist Chet Atkins and former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Whyman. Today's set captures Taylor demonstrating his famous fingerstyle playing and his deep love of gypsy jazz, recorded in June on the Jazz Line-Up stage as part of the Glasgow Jazz Festival. Also on the programme, a tribute to the late jazz guitarist John Abercrombie in the company of fellow guitarist Rob Luft.

Virtuoso jazz guitarist Martin Taylor in performance at the 2017 Glasgow Jazz Festival.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith explores the impact of classical music on jazz, from Louis Armstrong and Coleman Hawkins to Lennie Tristano and Chick Corea.

I'll be interested to find out how Geoff tackles this subject.

Mon 11 Sept
    11.00 Jazz Now

Emma Smith presents Nerija in concert at Pizza Express Jazz Club, while Soweto Kinch meets American bassist Christian McBride.

Emma Smith presents Nerija in concert at Pizza Express Jazz Club London.

Did anyone listen to Mr Akinmusire's band? I thought his pianist was remarkable and certainly that rare thing in piano jazz these days, a genuine original, but didn't warm to the music played.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Yes, I've weeeeelllll heard of "Little Jimmy Scott". Several CDs including a wonderful one with Ray Charles on piano, produced by Ray, that was contractually blocked by Savoy at the time. He, JS, was a big influence on Nancy Wilson etc. Ck/out his The Source on Atlantic.

Btw, I've just seen on Richard Williams twitter feed that John Jack has just died. Something of a legendary figure, Ronnie's Old Place, Cadillac Records, concerts etc etc etc....

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Yes, I've weeeeelllll heard of "Little Jimmy Scott". Several CDs including a wonderful one with Ray Charles on piano, produced by Ray, that was contractually blocked by Savoy at the time. He, JS, was a big influence on Nancy Wilson etc. Ck/out his The Source on Atlantic.

Btw, I've just seen on Richard Williams twitter feed that John Jack has just died. Something of a legendary figure, Ronnie's Old Place, Cadillac Records, concerts etc etc etc....

BN.
      Gosh - how sad! I was only talking to him and his delightful missus last week, on a visit to The Vortex on Tuesday, as reported in the Jazz in the Smoke thread!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

"Richard Williams @rwilliams1947
        Very saddened by death of old friend John Jack, a pillar of the London jazz scene for 60 years. He'll be greatly missed."

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post

BN.
          I have Jimmy Scott's 1962 album 'Falling In Love Is Wonderful' produced by Ray Charles.
          There's a photo of Scott in the CD booklet looking remarkably like Obama!
          Atlantic boss Nesuhi Ertegun admired him but Dave Gelly in a review of Scott's 'Lost and Found' wrote 'I cannot for the life of me understand Ertegun's enthusiasm'.
          Probably an acquired taste.

Sad to hear about John Jack. I corresponded with him many years ago and he helped me track down several elusive jazz albums.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Yes, I think Jimmy Scott is perhaps an acquired taste, best a few tracks at a time. But I really like the album avec Ray and "The Source" (Atlantic with David Newman, Junior Mance, Ron Carter, Billy Butler etc) that JRR is playing today. His covers of Our Day Will Come and On Broadway are little gems.

It looks a very good program today btw.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Rob Luft is turning out to be an excellent interviewee of taste in today's JLU - a programme which has improved under Le Gendre's diplomatic dealings with his subjects. I can almost hear Ian agreeing with much of what he has had to say about the specifics of Frisell and Abercrombie and where they differ. And he has some of the best among the newer generation of London players in his band, as was clear from the intro track and the last one of the programme. Martin Taylor's set from Glasgow was thoroughly satisfying for the man's phenomenal technique alone. His harmonic language may be conservative, and as an improviser he may lack McLaughlin's, Holdsworth's or Mike Walker's originality, but I have to admit to preferring Martin's remarkably seamless integration of line and accompaniment to McLaughlin's resorting to overdubbing on the solo side of his 1970 "My Goal's Beyond". Call me purist, but if it can be done, it should be!

I remember a guitarist in Bristol who could do the Martin Taylor solo thing equally well, called Kit Morgan. I see he's still at it:

Guitar Soloat The Eldon HouseBristolwritten by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strongmade famous by Marvin Gaye

Really glad I found that!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Do you remember Frank Evans playing around Bristol who I saw a few times. Lovely, cleanly played, solo guitar features. Bristol's Jim Hall?

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

SA

I thought that the programme was quite insightful. The Grant Green track was strange because it seemed so contemporary. It is weird how his reputation has changed. Several years ago Alyn was really dismissive of Green's playing and there was a consensus that his impact had been dampened through drugs. There was an interview with a more adventurous and better guitarist than Rob Luft called Jeff Parker that was on a Jazz Times before and after interview where he basically cited him as his greatest influence . Parker probably has about 30 years on Luft and covers all bases in music from FM-friendly fusion with Peter Erskine , improvised rock with the group Tortoise and various jazz projects that have both standard line ups or use sampling. Parker was hugely complimentary about Green's playing and it chimed in with another interview I once read about someone who got in to jazz though hearing Green perform live in a small café in an American city.

The tracks chosen were quite fascinating in their own way. The Bill Frisell track is actually quite celebrated and has been re-worked by the British avant-garde composer and improv bassist Gavin Bryars. I love this track yet it is amazing that Frisell's playing has greatly changed from the early 1980's. Nowadays we are used to hearing this kind of sound yet it was sounded hugely original when I heard him play for the first time on a record around 1987. A lot of Frisell's compositions are quite simple although what he does with them isn't. Regarding the Kevn Eubanks track, I felt a little under-whelmed. I have the album "Extensions" at home and this is one of the best jazz albums of the 1980s and easily one of Dave Holland's finest. More recently, Eubanks was involved for a lengthy period with TV work and he just seems to have been left behind by other players. I was surprised that Russell Malone wasn't mentioned in the context of more straight ahead jazz as I feel he has the edge on Eubanks.

I have to totally agree with your comments about Martin Taylor. On the old site, Trveopr Cooper had a bitter hatred of Taylor's music which he saw as some kind of cop-out, a light-weight approach to jazz that had nothing to do with bop and therefore symptomatic of what he saw as a malaise in jazz. Oddly, Martin's comments were far more interesting than Luft's and it was fascinating to learn how he approached the instrument both from an educative point of view (which basically turned Cooper's idea of him not being "authentic" totally on it's head) and from the technical point of view. This was all too short but one of the best interview subjects on JLU for a long while. Years ago I was given a solo album by Martin Taylor and I had little expectations . It proved to be an incredible piece of music-making. He is a "conservative" and not necessarily original yet I think he is totally distinctive and few guitarists actually play as much "music" as him. I have enjoyed listening to him perform live with group too although the solos work is fascinating and something of a masterclass. The use of dynamics is staggering.

The tribute to John Abercrombie was a bit under-whelming and I would have thought that better and more representative tracks might have been chosen.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

I think Grant Green's output is enormously variable, not just by era, but by session and context and, as importantly, who he's playing and paired with. In this he's a bit like Horace Parlan, who can be wonderfully tasteful, supportive and swinging or deadly tedious. The Parlan Bluenote "Up an Down" is a prime example where Green and Parlan bring out the very worst in each other. Solos meandering and stuck on a few (not very interesting) notes in the name of "soul". Even Booker Ervin sounds bored with it. Green also has a thin "pick" tone which I don't personally find that attractive. But "Idle Moments" is a wonderful classic album despite that, where Grant excells.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

Interview with jeff Parker

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Btw, just re-listening to the album Karin Krogg cut with Dexter Gordon in Oslo in 1969. "Some other Spring". Her version of "I wish I knew" is a massive homage to the Little Jimmy Scott track (JRR)! She must have played it to death....Excellent.

BN.

Comment

Working...
                        X