X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Guardian article focussing on new currents in British jazz

The following article came to my attention yesterday, and given the views as to what constitutes current jazz and what doesn't, I thought might be of interest. I'm reminded of all the mainstream media publicity surrounding the F-Ire Collective about 10 years ago. Apart from Matthew Halsall and Shabaka Hutchings, all are names still new to me, which either shows how fast things are moving or my age .

The UK is home to a diverse, collaborative and newly confident jazz scene. We meet seven musicians reinvigorating the genre

Tuba player Theon Cross, from Shabaka's current Sons of Kemet, as heard on Saturday's J to Z, is heard in a trio format, courtesy the link below:

Want to bring the magic of Sofar to your city? Become a Curator and organize concerts with Sofar Sounds. Learn more and apply at https://www.sofarsounds.com/...

Other associated stuff can be found scrolling down the right hand side.
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

Almost all these people have featured on R3's Jazz Now. Moses Boyd both in duo with Binker Golding and as part of the Ezra Collective. Nubya Garcia appeared in a concert from Pizza Express with Nerija. Theon Cross was featured in a BBC Introducing segment and Shabaka in a Comet is Coming feature. So just keep listening and stay one step ahead of the Grauniad...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
      Almost all these people have featured on R3's Jazz Now. Moses Boyd both in duo with Binker Golding and as part of the Ezra Collective. Nubya Garcia appeared in a concert from Pizza Express with Nerija. Theon Cross was featured in a BBC Introducing segment and Shabaka in a Comet is Coming feature. So just keep listening and stay one step ahead of the Grauniad...
      Thank you Alyn. Your memory is better than mine. These are all still new names to me, even if I and others here have come across them on the wireless recently.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        The following article came to my attention yesterday, and given the views as to what constitutes current jazz and what doesn't, I thought might be of interest. I'm reminded of all the mainstream media publicity surrounding the F-Ire Collective about 10 years ago. Apart from Matthew Halsall and Shabaka Hutchings, all are names still new to me, which either shows how fast things are moving or my age .

The UK is home to a diverse, collaborative and newly confident jazz scene. We meet seven musicians reinvigorating the genre

Tuba player Theon Cross, from Shabaka's current Sons of Kemet, as heard on Saturday's J to Z, is heard in a trio format, courtesy the link below:

Want to bring the magic of Sofar to your city? Become a Curator and organize concerts with Sofar Sounds. Learn more and apply at https://www.sofarsounds.com/...

Other associated stuff can be found scrolling down the right hand side.
        Very interesting. If that's the stuff that appeals to the younger brigade, so be it. Noted some of Garcia's gigs are in some old haunts, but I can't see myself making the cut sitting cross-legged for several hours with people 1/3 of my age. Nothing wrong with remote listening I guess, but it does seem to me that this music can only be fully appreciated by going to a gig.

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Informative clip with Nubya talking about her music - Is it Jazz?

but is it jazz? | Episode 13Featuring: Nubya GarciaLive at: Arenberg Theatre | 11.11.17 Hosted by: Gea Russellbut is it jazz? is a live concept presented by ...

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

I go to gigs where most people are one and a third my age, not 1/3 !

Comment

Working...
            X