• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Outside of jazz, beyond Mazur: just call in at John Lewis

Sat 21 April
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton responds to listeners' requests with a broad range of music including recordings by US American singer Irene Kral and Modern Jazz Quartet pianist and founder John Lewis.

5.00 J to Z
    Kevin LeGendre presents the Preservation Hall Jazz Band in session. The septet have been playing the jazz music of New Orleans since the early 1960s and are known for their collaborations with artists from genres outside of jazz.

The best in jazz - past, present and future. Preservation Hall Jazz Band in session.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    American pianist Sonny Clark was admired by the likes of Dexter Gordon and Bill Evans before his death in 1963, aged 31. Geoffrey Smith selects highlights from his career.

Pianist Sonny Clark was admired by Dexter Gordon and Bill Evans before his premature death

Mon 23 April
    11.00 Jazz Now

As part of Radio 3's Japan season, Soweto Kinch presents a concert by pianist Makiko Hirabayashi and her trio at London's Pizza Express Live Club.

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

JRR....

DISC 8

Artist Irene Kral

Title Where is love?

Composer Lionel Bart

Album Where is love?

Label Choice

Number 1012 Side B track 3

Duration 4.23

Performers: Irene Kral, v; Alan Broadbent, p. 1974

*Utterly WONDERFUL. I've only heard her (and rarely at that) in more "orchestrated" settings. That was brilliant, high spot of the entire show.

BN.

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

JLU scores another hit with Kevin Legendre. It's a good mix for me, and hopefully it will continue in the same fashion.

Haven't figured out this week's brainteaser yet - who or what is Mazur??

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

Vespare: You might just find that the internationally famous percussionist Marilyn Mazur (she of many a Jan Gabarek group) is featured in Makiko Hirabayashi's concert on Jazz Now...

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Many thanks Alyn. I will be listening to Jazz Now for further edification.

I was going down a blind alley - M --Azure -- deep blue --

Currently enjoying JRR, by the way.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Mon 23 April
            11.00 Jazz Now

As part of Radio 3's Japan season, Soweto Kinch presents a concert by pianist Makiko Hirabayashi and her trio at London's Pizza Express Live Club.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b01kq0
            That was very interesting. A Japanese perspective on Jazz, and much to my taste. Quiet, introspective and full of subtleties.

Comment

Working...
            X