X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Teal appeal among the weekend's Fosterings

Apologies, first of all, for some mis-transcribed links to last week's programmes.

Sat 5 May
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton responds to listeners' requests for music across a wide spectrum of jazz, today including recordings by the doyen of jazz organists, Jimmy Smith.

5pm - J to Z
    The cream of jazz past, present and future, including interviews and demos from musicians, today featuring a concert by drummer Al Foster, who during the 1970s played with Miles Davis.

Celebrating the best in jazz - past, present and future. With Al Foster in concert.

12midnight - Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Although tenor saxophonist Stan Getz won global fame for his beautiful tone and pulsating bossa novas, Geoffrey Smith highlights the eloquent valedictory recordings he made not long before his death in 1991, including sessions with pianist Kenny Barron and singer Abbey Lincoln

Geoffrey Smith highlights the late recordings of American saxophonist Stan Getz.

Sun 6 May - Radio 2
    9pm - Clare Teal

A special show broadcast from backstage at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival with guests performing live and discussing their time at the festival. Featuring Kansas Smitty's House Band (as Clare's own house band), Corrine Bailey Rae and US singer China Moses, daughter of jazz singer Dee Dee Bridgewater.

Just to draw attention to this 2-hour long programme, which looks more interesting than usual!

Mon 7 May
    11pm - Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a concert by Shabaka Hutchings and the Ancestors, featuring Siyabonga Mthembu, Mthunzi Mvubu, Ariel Zomonsky, Tumi Mogorosi and Gontse Makhene.

Further apologies if I've misspelt any of those names.

Soweto Kinch presents a concert by Shabaka Hutchings and the Ancestors.
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Plenty of banjos on JRR tonite

Some will be pleased...

Some great tracks alongside though. Particularly enjoyed Stan Tracey.

OG

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      Plenty of banjos on JRR tonite

Some will be pleased...

Some great tracks alongside though. Particularly enjoyed Stan Tracey.

OG
      The Tracey/Wellins track is one of my favourites by both. I think it was also played on the JRR 50th anniversary edition. McCoy Tyner's "Real McCoy"/ Bluenote "Passion Dance" with Joe Henderson just now is still fantastic. That's such a huge album, in another league this afternoon.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        The Tracey/Wellins track is one of my favourites by both. I think it was also played on the JRR 50th anniversary edition. McCoy Tyner's "Real McCoy"/ Bluenote "Passion Dance" with Joe Henderson just now is still fantastic. That's such a huge album, in another league this afternoon.

BN.
        Agree about the wonderful Tracey/Wellins 'Misterioso' track which was indeed played on the 50th anniversary edition of JRR.
        There's a great version of 'Passion Dance' with Jackie McLean & Woody Shaw on 'One Night With Blue Note' from 1985.
        I think there's a film on YouTube somewhere.
        Absolutely dreadful track by Kamasi Washington which started 'J to Z' - I almost switched off!

JR

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          Absolutely dreadful track by Kamasi Washington which started 'J to Z' - I almost switched off!

JR
          Agreed, JR!

The rest was good though

OG

Comment

Working...
          X