X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

George Coleman. 84 last Friday...

Just a reminder that George Coleman is still with us. He was 84 on the 8 March and is apparently still playing in New York, although in semi retirement.

Coincidentally, I was listening at the weekend to the full unedited sets of Miles 1964 Lincoln Centre concert (released as the Columbia "Four and More" and "My Funny Valentine"). They are absolutely remarkably, Miles playing like a dream and the best George Coleman I've ever heard. It's a shame he is too often seen as the "one before Wayne" because he's a wonderful, slightly austere but lyrical and sensitive player in his own right. Those tapes, despite the band apparently being at "war" with Miles, are stupendous.

BN.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
    Just a reminder that George Coleman is still with us. He was 84 on the 8 March and is apparently still playing in New York, although in semi retirement.

Coincidentally, I was listening at the weekend to the full unedited sets of Miles 1964 Lincoln Centre concert (released as the Columbia "Four and More" and "My Funny Valentine"). They are absolutely remarkably, Miles playing like a dream and the best George Coleman I've ever heard. It's a shame he is too often seen as the "one before Wayne" because he's a wonderful, slightly austere but lyrical and sensitive player in his own right. Those tapes, despite the band apparently being at "war" with Miles, are stupendous.

BN.
    Herbie Hancock always tells how he, Ron and Tony would play differently behind George, forcing him to take fresh directions in his impriovising than he might otherwise have done, but that Miles told him, "The way you play behind George, why don't you play that way behind me?" So they did, and, in so many words, "Miles was duckin' and divin', you could see he wasn't happy with this new situation we were presenting, but within a few days it was he who was on top of things and taking charge of it".

In later life when asked why he did not still advocate this approach, Miles replied that to do so would probably result in him having a coronary. In view of the fact that George Coleman has well outlived Miles, this now seems ironic!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

The reason Miles and the rest of the group were at loggerheads was that it was a benefit for civil rights charities which Miles had agreed he wouldn't take a fee but didn't tell the others until they were at the hall. Not that they wouldn't have agreed, but they wanted to be consulted. Miles response was "you're in my band, you play my gigs regardless". So they went on stage with a large amount of inner tension. Herbie said that he thought it had got in the way and they has played badly, but when he heard the tapes he was knocked out at the heights the group achieved. It is a bloody marvelous concert even though Ian Carr said they took So What etc at a far too fast a pace. Tension?!

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

BN.
        I've always liked George Coleman's playing at the 1963 Antibes Jazz Festival on the 80-minute CD 'Miles in Europe'.
        Miles said that the 17 year-old Tony Williams "lit a big fire under everyone in the group" and Ralph J. Gleason wrote that Miles was so delighted when he first heard this recording that he almost wore out the test pressings!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• burning dog
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          I've always liked George Coleman's playing at the 1963 Antibes Jazz Festival on the 80-minute CD 'Miles in Europe'.
          Miles said that the 17 year-old Tony Williams "lit a big fire under everyone in the group" and Ralph J. Gleason wrote that Miles was so delighted when he first heard this recording that he almost wore out the test pressings!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Pretty sure this is the concert I bought a vinyl version of in the seventies, cost of 99p, on the Embassy label !

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
            Pretty sure this is the concert I bought a vinyl version of in the seventies, cost of 99p, on the Embassy label !
            Just checked my shelves- I still have a copy of that Embassy LP!

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
              Just checked my shelves- I still have a copy of that Embassy LP!

JR
              One of the enjoyments of that recording for me, I have to say, is the French announcer's pronunciation of the band members! "George Coooollemannnn, au saxophone ténore, Airrrbeee Ancoque au piano ... et le jeune Tonneee Williams à la batterie: il a dix-sept ans".

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

That's interesting! One of my favourite Bill Evans trio recordings is from Paris in 1965, not just because Chuck Israels is playing bass (the best of the post Lafaro for me), but because the French Radio announcer says, "Ze Bill Efvans trio, "Ow deep iz ze Oceeon"! So atmospheric and once heard unforgettable. And now everytime I hear anyone play that tune, the French intro comes into my mind.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                  • Dec 2010

BN.
                  Blimey Bluesie, you had me there...thought this was another "RIP" thread.

In addition to the Lincoln Centre concert tapes, George Coleman is also excellent on the original recording of "Dolphin Dance". He really gets inside the changes on that one. Happy birthday GC.
                  all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

Working...
                  X