• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Sorting out the Loose Tubes could well be Weiss

Sat 15 June
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton introduces records from across the genre, as requested by Radio 3 listeners, including Billie Holiday, Errol Garner, and Sonny Rollins.

5pm - J to Z
    Kevin Le Gendre presents a concert by Austrian jazz outfit Shake Stew, which features two drummers, two double bass players, and, in this gig, UK saxophonist Shabaka Hutchings. And multi-instrumentalist Django Bates, who in the 1980s rose to fame with loose Tubes, shares his music influences including singer Nina Simone and South African saxophonist Dudu Pukwana.

One of Austria's most exciting current outfits, Shake Stew in concert plus Django Bates.

12midnight - Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    A trailblazing teacher and pianist, Chicago-born Lennie Tristano (1919-78) influenced the likes of Bill Evans and Charles Mingus, while creating coolly radical music of his own. Geoffrey Smith salutes a unique free-jazz pioneer.

This is a repeat.

Geoffrey Smith salutes the free-jazz pioneer and trailblazing pianist, Lennie Tristano.

Mon 17 June
    11pm - Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch introduces a concert by drummer Dan Weiss's ensemble Starebaby, recorded in early May at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival

What RT doesn't mention is that Abdullah Ibrahim is in conversation with Alyn about his new CD The Balance.

Soweto Kinch with Dan Weiss' Starebaby in concert and an interview with Abdullah Ibrahim.

Tues 18 June - Radio 2
    9pm - The Jazz Show with Jamie Cullum

Radio Academy-winning jazz series, with singer Jamie Cullum showcasing his love for jazz, selecting tracks from its heritage to the contemporary. Tonight he welcomes pianist and singer Reuben James, who shares an exclusive first play of a track from his new EP Adore.

Did you know they still made EPs?
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Sat 15 June
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton introduces records from across the genre, as requested by Radio 3 listeners, including Billie Holiday, Errol Garner, and Sonny Rollins.

5pm - J to Z
    Kevin Le Gendre presents a concert by Austrian jazz outfit Shake Stew, which features two drummers, two double bass players, and, in this gig, UK saxophonist Shabaka Hutchings. And multi-instrumentalist Django Bates, who in the 1980s rose to fame with loose Tubes, shares his music influences including singer Nina Simone and South African saxophonist Dudu Pukwana.

One of Austria's most exciting current outfits, Shake Stew in concert plus Django Bates.

12midnight - Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    A trailblazing teacher and pianist, Chicago-born Lennie Tristano (1919-78) influenced the likes of Bill Evans and Charles Mingus, while creating coolly radical music of his own. Geoffrey Smith salutes a unique free-jazz pioneer.

This is a repeat.

Geoffrey Smith salutes the free-jazz pioneer and trailblazing pianist, Lennie Tristano.

Mon 17 June
    11pm - Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch introduces a concert by drummer Dan Weiss's ensemble Starebaby, recorded in early May at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival

What RT doesn't mention is that Abdullah Ibrahim is in conversation with Alyn about his new CD The Balance.

Soweto Kinch with Dan Weiss' Starebaby in concert and an interview with Abdullah Ibrahim.

Tues 18 June - Radio 2
    9pm - The Jazz Show with Jamie Cullum

Radio Academy-winning jazz series, with singer Jamie Cullum showcasing his love for jazz, selecting tracks from its heritage to the contemporary. Tonight he welcomes pianist and singer Reuben James, who shares an exclusive first play of a track from his new EP Adore.

Did you know they still made EPs?
    In my early teenage day, EP could mean extended play AND Elvis Presley. Or both, as in Elvis on EP. Very handy at parties when girls would say "Oh, put some Elvis!" and you could shove on a Phillips Mingus EP, and when they all collectively groaned, say, "Shushhh, it's an EP." Sexist times, but fair.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      In my early teenage day, EP could mean extended play AND Elvis Presley. Or both, as in Elvis on EP. Very handy at parties when girls would say "Oh, put some Elvis!" and you could shove on a Phillips Mingus EP, and when they all collectively groaned, say, "Shushhh, it's an EP." Sexist times, but fair.
      Easy Peasy!!!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Excellent JRR again. Particularly liked the Elvin closer (those records are much neglected) and, surprisingly for my tastes, the Edmund Hall. Lovely Eddie Heywood piano included. One thing that's always struck me about the Sonny Rollins Village Vanguard dates is how muddy the sound is, especially the drums. RVG was not so great on live dates? Although the classic Bill Evans trio are fine.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Excellent JRR again. Particularly liked the Elvin closer (those records are much neglected) and, surprisingly for my tastes, the Edmund Hall. Lovely Eddie Heywood piano included. One thing that's always struck me about the Sonny Rollins Village Vanguard dates is how muddy the sound is, especially the drums. RVG was not so great on live dates? Although the classic Bill Evans trio are fine.

BN.
          I enjoy listening to the late Swing guys from time to time - someone gave me a self-recorded cassette alternating Art Tatum trio tracks with guests from the mid-50s - Benny Carter, Webster etc - with Billie Holiday tracks: no titles, I had to research for those. The other side consists entirely of solo stride piano - again, no name(s?), no titles: not slick enough to be Fats, maybe Hines? All my acquaintances, being modernists, wouldn't know either. I enjoyed the Ellingtonish version of "C Jam Blues", on the programme too - I expect Ian could help me out with the names!

Have to say, much as I like Kevin Le Gendre - very friendly approacheable guy, not at all stand offish like some at the BBC one has met - his over-larded praise for what is really mostly MOR stuff on J to Z these days makes nme wonder: does he really believe in what he is saying, or does the job depend on it? You or I col d probably do a reasonable job as a presenter - well, you, anyway. I expect brickbats to come my way from certain quarters for saying this. And too often the programme announces a track from a new release without saying anything about personnel: the Avishai Cohen CD today being a case in point. OK, they will say I can Goggle it to get what I want to know - but if I'm doing that while the programme is ensuing I'm missing out at the moment others I respect are listening and may have comments to make. And (final moan!) only playing about two minutes of "Miles Runs The Voodoo Down" was totally meaningless: what's the point?? I look forward to hearing Django Bates giving us his fave tracks and talking them through: perhaps they should just substitute a programme of articulate musicians doing this.

So - Charlie Parker was the first music Django ever heard!!! For me it was mostly Johann Strauss waltz sequences and Khachaturian's Sabre Dance on the crackly Light programme, from an extension speaker my dad rigged up high in the corner of our Earls Court flat. And Mum playing Chopin and Schumann on our upright Joanna. What an amazing story about meeting Dudu Pukwana! I have a cassette of Zila fom a broadcast with a young Mr Bates doing all right on the piano - must be around 1982.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Yep, I know what you mean about that programme. The tendency for gush and breathless wonder for the mostly average and routine just puts me off listening. Having said that, Kevin Le Gendre on his own turf can be excellent. That R4 programme a few months back about Paris, Jazz and the New Wave in film was outstanding, not afraid to touch on race and the downsides of the 60s French liberal myth. I really felt he had a personal stake in that programme. Be good to hear some more in that style.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Yep, I know what you mean about that programme. The tendency for gush and breathless wonder for the mostly average and routine just puts me off listening. Having said that, Kevin Le Gendre on his own turf can be excellent. That R4 programme a few months back about Paris, Jazz and the New Wave in film was outstanding, not afraid to touch on race and the downsides of the 60s French liberal myth. I really felt he had a personal stake in that programme. Be good to hear some more in that style.
              Yes that was excellent. Soweto Kinch is also very good when not having to follow someone else's script.

Comment

Working...
              X