X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Tubby Hayes lost album "Grits ..." (1969) - Now available CDs & LP

Re. The "lost" Tubby Hayes Fontana 1969 album sessions (plugged on J to Z yesterday). Most of the core tracks, plus alternatives, are now up on YouTube..."Grits, Greens & Beans". Hayes (to my ears and as an admirer) plays extremely well, but that's not so unusual, but I didn't quite buy that this is "a masterpiece", ranking with Coltrane, Rollins etc etc. It's very good but "masterpiece"? Comparisons are invidious but I was playing the Joe Henderson/Kenny Dirham "Our Thing" yesterday, and was immediately reminded just how superb that date was, the writing, the playing (esp Kenny) et al. If prizes are to be handed out at school.... THAT.

Anyway "Rumpus" from the "new" album...52nd street theme?

• burning dog
    • Dec 2010

Hayes seemed to be treading a similar path to Henderson at that time

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Yes, I thought that. And apparently at that time he was buying every Joe Henderson album that came out. No offence to the rhythm section who were obviously very fine but it would have been good to hear him with Miles rhythm section, Wynton or Herbie. Or Cannonball's. And Philly Joe was living in London at that time and they did play together if not "officially".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        Yes, I thought that. And apparently at that time he was buying every Joe Henderson album that came out. No offence to the rhythm section who were obviously very fine but it would have been good to hear him with Miles rhythm section, Wynton or Herbie. Or Cannonball's. And Philly Joe was living in London at that time and they did play together if not "officially".
        After thinking about that I think you're right, Bluesie. Somewhere on tape I have Charles Fox in conversation with someone (b*ggered if I can remember who right now, possibly Peter King) about Tubby, and how he would be giving more than just all his attention to the musical goings on around him, even when he was not being the soloist at the time.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

"For a more potent declaration of intent, Tubby Hayes' 'Lament' is unbeatable. Recorded in Spring, 1967 on a gig in Rochester, Kent, just after the band had taped the landmark 'Mexican Green', it's music which fires on all four and which effectively outlines the parameters of Tubby's mature style...
          Of all the recent Tubby discoveries this album may well be the best, simply because it documents Hayes at the point when all his key influences had been fully assimilated."

(Simon Spillett, Jazz Journal, January 2016)

With Mike Pyne, Ron Mathewson & Tony Levin:

Provided to YouTube by The state51 ConspiracyLament (Live at The Little Theatre, Rochester, Kent, April 2nd 1967) · The Tubby Hayes QuartetTubby Hayes Archiv...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            "For a more potent declaration of intent, Tubby Hayes' 'Lament' is unbeatable. Recorded in Spring, 1967 on a gig in Rochester, Kent, just after the band had taped the landmark 'Mexican Green', it's music which fires on all four and which effectively outlines the parameters of Tubby's mature style...
            Of all the recent Tubby discoveries this album may well be the best, simply because it documents Hayes at the point when all his key influences had been fully assimilated."

(Simon Spillett, Jazz Journal, January 2016)

With Mike Pyne, Ron Mathewson & Tony Levin:

Provided to YouTube by The state51 ConspiracyLament (Live at The Little Theatre, Rochester, Kent, April 2nd 1967) · The Tubby Hayes QuartetTubby Hayes Archiv...

JR
            Very nice. Unusual "Blues March" even crotchets underpinning the tune, with its cheeky false announcement of the then-popular standard "That's Nice" before going another way. Here's a ballad from the same sesh - I like Tubby playing ballads, he would really build up a narrative - by my favourite shirt-maker:

Provided to YouTube by The state51 ConspiracyNancy With The Laughing Face (Live at The Little Theatre, Rochester, Kent, April 2nd 1969) · The Tubby Hayes Qua...

Very much looking forward to the Roland Kirk track (the second) on today's JRR. I hadn't realised that Herbie Hancock played, let alone recorded with RK.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Very nice. Unusual "Blues March" even crotchets underpinning the tune, with its cheeky false announcement of the then-popular standard "That's Nice" before going another way. Here's a ballad from the same sesh - I like Tubby playing ballads, he would really build up a narrative - by my favourite shirt-maker:

Provided to YouTube by The state51 ConspiracyNancy With The Laughing Face (Live at The Little Theatre, Rochester, Kent, April 2nd 1969) · The Tubby Hayes Qua...

Very much looking forward to the Roland Kirk track (the second) on today's JRR. I hadn't realised that Herbie Hancock played, let alone recorded with RK.
              It's probably too long at around 11 minutes but Tubby's 'Nancy' deserves a hearing on JRR's 'tenor ballad' series sometime.
              Kirk's 'When The Sun Comes Out'(3 takes) with Herbie Hancock can be found on a Verve Master Edition(2000) of
              his great 1962 album 'Domino' with 15 extra tracks.
              The original 10 tracks have Andrew Hill or Wynton Kelly on piano.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

It's probably too long at around 11 minutes but Tubby's 'Nancy' deserves a hearing on JRR's 'tenor ballad' series sometime.
                Kirk's 'When The Sun Comes Out'(3 takes) with Herbie Hancock can be found on a Verve Master Edition(2000) of
                his great 1962 album 'Domino' with 15 extra tracks.
                The original 10 tracks have Andrew Hill or Wynton Kelly on piano.

JR

Here's Stanley Turrentine's very fine version of "When the sun comes out", from "The Spoiler" (Bluenote), arranged by Duke Pearson, its long been a favourite of mine.http://youtu.be/3QpCrAV1Cgk

Roland's was also very good and it was an excellent JRR in total.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                  Here's Stanley Turrentine's very fine version of "When the sun comes out", from "The Spoiler" (Bluenote), arranged by Duke Pearson, its long been a favourite of mine.http://youtu.be/3QpCrAV1Cgk

Roland's was also very good and it was an excellent JRR in total.
                  Thanks, BN.
                  Hadn't heard that Stanley Turrentine track before.
                  Will acquire a copy of 'The Spoiler'(RVG Ed.)
                  immediately!

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Thanks, BN.
                    Hadn't heard that Stanley Turrentine track before.
                    Will acquire a copy of 'The Spoiler'(RVG Ed.)
                    immediately!

JR
                    The title alone tells you you know what's in store!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      The title alone tells you you know what's in store!
                      McCoy Tyner seemed to really enjoy those perhaps unlikely matchings with Turrentine! He had that bluesy piano off to a T (for Tyner). I think he's also on Rough & Tumble which was Stanley's kind of tribute to the Ray Charles late 50s small band sound. Which is fine by me.

Comment

Working...
                      X