Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jazz albums of the year - 2019

It is probably time to start the album of the year thread for 2019. I think that it has been an interesting year with some really decent records being issued although I am finding that CDs are increasingly difficult to acquire. Despite the internet making the release of material seemingly easier, I have noticed that some more obscure albums have been impossible to find and the discography of historically important artists diminishing in the CD format.

I would have to argue that although five new CDs have dominated my play list this year, I have probably played the 10-disc Paul Bley box set from Soul Note more than anything else in 2019. I think this came out several years ago now and would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Bley's music. Regarding new records, I would have to single out JD Allen's exceptional "Barracoon" which is a major achievement in what is already an impressive discography for the tenor man. This record would probably come second in my list albeit by some very fine margins. The recent Steve Lehman quartet recording "The people I love" is certainly going to chip in to many "best of..." lists whereas the record "Choukheads" by French trumpeter Shems Bendali is a disc that is unlikely to resonate with jazz fans outside of the Hexagon. The French jazz press have been really positive about this debut disc and it is not difficult to understand why. For me, his set at Vienne was one of the best gigs of 2019 and the record deserves wider attention, especially if you are fond of the kind of acoustic jazz produced by the likes of Ambrose Akinmusire. I would recommend hunting this record down although I think it is only available as a download in the UK. Probably one for JRR. I love it when you discover a new name such as Shems Bendali when the music is as good as this.

I felt Kassie Kinoshi's "Seed Ensemble" produced a fantastic debut with "Driftglass" and should be applauded for producing a record that felt both contemporary and was proud to boast it full on jazz credentials. This is the kind of record that make you feel good about the current state of jazz in the UK which has under-whelmed in the past. A name to watch.

From a point of view of shear enjoyment, my vote for best jazz album of the year is Greg Ward's "Stomping off from Greenwood." This record features the alto saxophonist backed by a quartet that includes two electric guitars. The music is visceral as you would expect from so much of the jazz Chicago produces yet the tone of Ward's alto has singing quality of Cannonball Adderley in the way that he communicates. It is a "modern" record in many respects whilst also being able to "connect" like so many of the jazz greats of the past. The repertoire largely consists of some very hummable originals as well as a twisted version of the standard "Stardust." I love the jabbing quality of the track "The contender" but there is so much to enjoy about this record.

I've not bought a single contemporary CD this year. First time for a very long time. Not even at gigs where I was reasonably impressed by the performance. I've fallen for the good performance / boring CD that never gets played again too many times in the past.

Comment

If anyone's interested here's the Jazzwise Top 10 New Releases of 2019:

1. Branford Marsalis Quartet - The Secret Between the Shadow and the Soul
      2. Chick Corea Trio - Trilogy 2
      3. =SEED Ensemble - Driftglass
      3. =Michael Janisch - Worlds Collide
      5. Bill Frisell - HARMONY
      6. = Avishai Cohen & Yonathan Avishai - Playing The Room
      6. = Gwilym Simcock - Near and Now
      8. Abdullah Ibrahim - The Balance
      9. = Quentin Collins Sextet - Road Warrior
      9. = Art Ensemble of Chicago - We Are On The Edge

At least there's one of Ian's interesting choices here!

JR
      Last edited by Jazzrook; 01-12-19, 12:59.

Comment

My choices for this year focus on my love for the Ellington, Monk, Herbie Nichols, Elmo school of pianists.

Two very fine pianists mining this rich pianistic school - Paul Giallorenzo trio "Flow" Delmark Records and Brian Marsella trio "Outspoken - The music of Hasaan Ibn Ali" Redeye distribution. Both these albums are under the radar but deserve to be very much better known.

J D Allen Trio "Barracoon" His best to date.

Pat Martino Formidable" thoroughly enjoyable mainstream with fine guitar from Pat.

New (previously unissued) from the Masters -

Kenny Dorham "The Swedish Sessions 1964" Dragon
        Miles Davis "The Lost Quintet"
        John Coltrane "Blue World" Impulse
        Stan Getz "Live at the Village Gate Nov 1961" Verve
        All contain timeless performances

elmo

Comment

Originally posted by elmo View Post
          My choices for this year focus on my love for the Ellington, Monk, Herbie Nichols, Elmo school of pianists.

Two very fine pianists mining this rich pianistic school - Paul Giallorenzo trio "Flow" Delmark Records and Brian Marsella trio "Outspoken - The music of Hasaan Ibn Ali" Redeye distribution. Both these albums are under the radar but deserve to be very much better known.

J D Allen Trio "Barracoon" His best to date.

Pat Martino Formidable" thoroughly enjoyable mainstream with fine guitar from Pat.

New (previously unissued) from the Masters -

Kenny Dorham "The Swedish Sessions 1964" Dragon
          Miles Davis "The Lost Quintet"
          John Coltrane "Blue World" Impulse
          Stan Getz "Live at the Village Gate Nov 1961" Verve
          All contain timeless performances

elmo
          Excellent! And I had known nothing about the Brian Marcella "Hassan" album, which seems a must. Just listening to it now on YouTube...

http://youtu.be/Mh425vohP8E

Many thanks!

Comment

From the Marsella's notes (comps to the Organissimo hard core who are raving about this)...

"...Without any other recordings of Hasaan I was worried about just re-creating this one album, and then John [Zorn] sent me some unreleased material of Hasaan's that included a rehearsal recorded for the Max Roach session. (This fascinating material will be made available soon in a box set compiled by Alan Sukoenig and Lewis Porter and is highly recommended.) It was through listening to these recordings that I started to really understand what Hasaan was about, especially harmonically. Hasaan extensively used dominant sharp eleven chords (much like Monk) but moves them even more chromatically than Monk... ...Another outcome of listening to the rehearsal recordings were the ways in which he treated his own thematic material---that is to say, that he always seemed to be extrapolating from the written notes. He never played a melody the same way twice."

It really is very very good, and as a TRIO recording of not easy material. Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks Bluesie glad you like it - that sleeve note continues "... in terms of our recording session, it followed one day of rehearsing and one concert. After the concert we thought that if it had been recorded we'd have the album. So we went into the studio with the mindset to record it all in single takes. And we did just that! We finished recording the entire CD in under 90 minutes with smiles on our faces the whole time"

Remarkable.... because as you say (like Elmo's) Hasaan's compositions are far from easy.

I have been looking out for the release of the Hasaan Box set but no sign as yet

Comment

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                Thanks Bluesie glad you like it - that sleeve note continues "... in terms of our recording session, it followed one day of rehearsing and one concert. After the concert we thought that if it had been recorded we'd have the album. So we went into the studio with the mindset to record it all in single takes. And we did just that! We finished recording the entire CD in under 90 minutes with smiles on our faces the whole time"

Remarkable.... because as you say (like Elmo's) Hasaan's compositions are far from easy.

I have been looking out for the release of the Hasaan Box set but no sign as yet
                Thanks, elmo, for alerting me to the existence of the Brian Marsella trio album 'Outspoken'. It sounds remarkable.
                I enjoyed the Max Roach/Hasaan album and now must acquire this.

JR

Comment

Working...
                X