X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugged in, à la batterie, and from an aerial perspective

Sat 28 Dec
    5pm - J to Z

Kevin Le Gendre presents concert highlights from the Euradio Jazz Orchestra - featuring top young players from across Europe - and his 2019 picks.

In addition pianist Danielo Pérez talks about his dad, and mentors Dizzy Gillespie and Wayne Shorter.

Euroradio Jazz Orchestra in concert, Danilo Pérez's inspirations and 2019 highlights.

12midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba presents the cream of new jazz and improvised music with an adventurous spirit.

Is that Corey, or the new jazz and improvised music?

Anyway, the website mentions a gentleman named Adam Fairhall, performing on the dulcitone, a 19th century keyboard instrument; saxophonist Tim Hill (whom I remember as being a bit of a wild man), leading an Ornette/Braxton-influenced quartet; and a track from Laura Cole's octet Metamorphic - names new to me.

Corey Mwamba presents Adam Fairhall performing on a prepared dulcitone.

Sun 29 Dec
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton with listeners' favourite jazz records of 2019 including music from Led Bib, Julia Hülsmann and Greg Abate and newly discovered archive recordings by Tubby Hayes and Louis Armstrong.

And for the eagle-eared among us, that very good young London-based guitarist Rob Luft has a couple of numbers at the end of Tuesday Jan 1st's New Generation Artists programme, Snow Country and Synaesthesia, accompanied by an equally talented band of comparative newcomers I can happily vouch for, Joe Wright (tenor sax), Tom McCredie (bass guitar) and Corrie Dick (drums). commencing at 4.30pm.

A nice way to greet the New Year - and may I wish everyone a happy, healthy and enriching one.

Same to you SA, "Lotta Continua" as they say in all the best places. And for a minute there (JRR), I thought that was a rare archive recording of Tubby Hayes WITH Louis Armstrong. Well, Tubby recorded "Sally, pride of our alley" as a 45 in a vague attempt at a "hit" and Louis recorded "Dolly", so they were obviously "converging", if not exactly together. Unless...
    BN.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Well, Tubby recorded "Sally, pride of our alley" as a 45 in a vague attempt at a "hit"
      BN.
      Swing as we go and let the world go by.

Tubbys duet with Danny La Rue - On Wynton Kelly's Doorstep has never been realeased -

Comment

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
        Swing as we go and let the world go by.

Tubbys duet with Danny La Rue - On Wynton Kelly's Doorstep has never been realeased -
        Oh yes, the one with the fork handles and candy labra on the joanna.

Comment

"Sally"
          (Fontana TF 397) 1963
          Released by Philips at the height of the trad boom, this was intended to be an antidote to all the Barber, Bilk and Ball frivolity, with Tubby’s regular quintet (discographers please note, it is Terry Shannon at the piano, not Gordon Beck as previously stated) tackling Gracie Fields’ former hit. Unsurprisingly it bombed, getting the indignant thumbs-down from no less a figure than Dusty Springfield, who told Melody Maker “it doesn’t stand an earthly”. Spirited if brief early-60s soul-jazz with the B-side, mixing Tubby on vibes and sax"

I actually remember seeing Tubby and the Quintet playing this on one of those teen pop shows, "Thank your lucky stars"? They (the band) all looked deeply embarrassed!

Interestingly in this same piece - Tubby Hayes apparently showed his annual Fontana royalty statement to Mark Gardener and it was for £12 8s 6d. Not to be spent on fast living.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            In addition pianist Danielo Pérez talks about his dad, and mentors Dizzy Gillespie and Wayne Shorter.
            Must have gone a bit heavy on the port at lunch time. I read 'mentors' as a verb, and stared uncomprehendingly for 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freude View Post
              Must have gone a bit heavy on the port at lunch time. I read 'mentors' as a verb, and stared uncomprehendingly for 5 minutes.
              There seems to be rather a lot of this around today.

It can't have been me around aged 5 who started it, asking my mum: "Please can I see Daddy go through the window?" - which she put in "My Book of Sayings".

Comment

There is some really interesting music on Sunday's JRR including the Julian Lage Ornette cover from his recent excellent album. Also nice to see Ashely Henry request too. A really exciting new pianist and top bloke as well when I spoke to him after the Winchester Jazz Festival gig in 2018. A new , monthly jazz gig is no starting in the Theatre Royal every month as an expansion of the WJF and I already have a ticket to see John Shenoy in a duet. I also saw him last year with his quartet "Framework" which are fantastic.

Curious to see Julia Hulsmann chosen for JRR. I have not heard much of her music but am intrigued by the idea of temporary German jazz musicians. What little I have heard from Hulsmann is that it is pretty introspective and cerebral music as you might expect from ECM. Her CV is really impressive and includes studying with diverse musicians such as Aki Takase, Maria Schneider, Jane Ira Bloom and Richie Beirach who i believe is now resident in Germany. She is also one of the few musicians who have thoroughly pursued the idea of marrying poetry with music. I had no idea that she has been such a mainstay for ECM since the mid 2000s and also recorded extensively for ACT before this. Both labels have not really been on my radar so she is a name hat has totally escaped me.

I cannot quite recall if it was the pianist Hulsmann or the Norwegian saxophonist Mette Henriette who was subject to a scathing podcast by the self-styled "Jazz Bastards" a couple of Christmases ago. It is a weird podcast because the two reviewers

Comment

And for the eagle-eared among us, that very good young London-based guitarist Rob Luft has a couple of numbers at the end of Tuesday Jan 1st's New Generation Artists programme, Snow Country and Synaesthesia, accompanied by an equally talented band of comparative newcomers I can happily vouch for, Joe Wright (tenor sax), Tom McCredie (bass guitar) and Corrie Dick (drums). commencing at 4.30pm.

A nice way to greet the New Year - and may I wish everyone a happy, healthy and enriching one.
                  Just bumping this up as it is due on presently, following the Chopin piano sonata.

Comment

Just bumping this up as it is due on presently, following the Chopin piano sonata.
                    Well that weren't 'arf cold, mum.

Comment

Working...
                    X