X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I Got Plenty of Nothing

Auntie has confiscated J to Z and Freeness this Saturday. In their place Radio 3 offers 20 minutes of Tom Arthurs, Misha Mullov-Abbado and Trish Clowes at 4pm. There's no link supplied to give us an idea as to what's in store, but this is the only item not to offer titles or personnel, in a sequence of stuff under the heading of New Generation Artists Day, commencing at at 9am and terminating at 1am.

Speaks for itself, doesn't it, really, in terms of the importance the BBC invests in its young New Generation jazz sponsorees - not all of whom are included or even mentioned by name here. Where for instance are Oren Marshall and Shabaka Hutchings? Utterly disgraceful - I hope somebody in their high-paid position is taking note but I very much doubt it.

Anyway, we still have:

Sunday 2 Feb
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton with recordings by Charlie Parker, Woody Shaw, Jessica Williams and many others.

Perhaps it's no accident that on Thursday 6 Feb BBC2 commences a series of six hour-long programmes at 8pm titled Secrets of the Museum, showing us art from the Victoria and Albert Museum's collection we don't otherwise get to see.

And on Fri 7 Feb, 8pm, BBC4 presents a previously shown documentary titled Doris Day: Virgin Territory, of which the RT blurb reads:
    Clips from her many films, including Calamity Jane and Pillow Talk, illustrate the biography of the actress and singer, who died in May last year at the age of 97. After starting her career as a band singer, Day became one of Hollywood's most bankable stars, but away from the cameras her life was often troubled. Furthermore, her work has not always received the critical acclaim it deserves. With contributions from James Garner, Richard Carpenter, Terence Davies and Don Pippin.
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Utterly disgraceful - I hope somebody in their high-paid position is taking note but I very much doubt it.
    They’ll be too busy trying to protect their jobs and status in the light of the forthcoming cuts! The listener will always come last!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      They’ll be too busy trying to protect their jobs and status in the light of the forthcoming cuts! The listener will always come last!
      I dare say you're right cloughie.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

In their "Connect with the Youth OR You'll Die!" going fowards MAJOR strategy announcement, the BBC announced the return of a supercharged "Crackerjack", but with avocados instead of cabbages as the fail prize. "We need to get the next generation of children & hipsters firmly on OUR side", said Kiron Oxbridge, Head of Cross Platform Digital Determination (salary £1,890,000 plus a red helicopter) if we are to save the cheap as chips licence. And our pensions".

"Nation shall mumble gibberish unto nation".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          In their "Connect with the Youth OR You'll Die!" going fowards MAJOR strategy announcement, the BBC announced the return of a supercharged "Crackerjack", but with avocados instead of cabbages as the fail prize. "We need to get the next generation of children & hipsters firmly on OUR side", said Kiron Oxbridge, Head of Cross Platform Digital Determination (salary £1,890,000 plus a red helicopter) if we are to save the cheap as chips licence. And our pensions".

"Nation shall mumble gibberish unto nation".
          And I'd thought a cross platform was passengers waiting for the 6.30 from Orpington which never arrived.

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Auntie has confiscated J to Z and Freeness this Saturday. In their place Radio 3 offers 20 minutes of Tom Arthurs, Misha Mullov-Abbado and Trish Clowes at 4pm. There's no link supplied to give us an idea as to what's in store, but this is the only item not to offer titles or personnel, in a sequence of stuff under the heading of New Generation Artists Day, commencing at at 9am and terminating at 1am.

Speaks for itself, doesn't it, really, in terms of the importance the BBC invests in its young New Generation jazz sponsorees - not all of whom are included or even mentioned by name here. Where for instance are Oren Marshall and Shabaka Hutchings? Utterly disgraceful - I hope somebody in their high-paid position is taking note but I very much doubt it.

Anyway, we still have:

Sunday 2 Feb
            4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton with recordings by Charlie Parker, Woody Shaw, Jessica Williams and many others.

Perhaps it's no accident that on Thursday 6 Feb BBC2 commences a series of six hour-long programmes at 8pm titled Secrets of the Museum, showing us art from the Victoria and Albert Museum's collection we don't otherwise get to see.

And on Fri 7 Feb, 8pm, BBC4 presents a previously shown documentary titled Doris Day: Virgin Territory, of which the RT blurb reads:
            Clips from her many films, including Calamity Jane and Pillow Talk, illustrate the biography of the actress and singer, who died in May last year at the age of 97. After starting her career as a band singer, Day became one of Hollywood's most bankable stars, but away from the cameras her life was often troubled. Furthermore, her work has not always received the critical acclaim it deserves. With contributions from James Garner, Richard Carpenter, Terence Davies and Don Pippin.
            By my reckoning JRR, J to Z & Freeness have, so far this year, lost 5 hours of programmes to classical broadcasts... and it's only 1 Feb!

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Today's mini-ration didn't amount to much, did it? - Tom Arthur's duet piece with Richard Fairhurst gone before any chance of getting into it, and the tracks by Mullov-Abbado and Ms Clowes effectively "novelty" pieces - the kind of thing one might expect to see musicians in period costumes performing as background to plummy scenes of actors smoking through cigarette holders and quaffing champers in a Stephen Poliakoff production.

I was glad to learn that Radio 3 is keeping Trish in their fold - can it really be 12 years since she gained her New Generation Artist status?

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Today's mini-ration didn't amount to much, did it? - Tom Arthur's duet piece with Richard Fairhurst gone before any chance of getting into it, and the tracks by Mullov-Abbado and Ms Clowes effectively "novelty" pieces - the kind of thing one might expect to see musicians in period costumes performing as background to plummy scenes of actors smoking through cigarette holders and quaffing champers in a Stephen Poliakoff production.

I was glad to learn that Radio 3 is keeping Trish in their fold - can it really be 12 years since she gained her New Generation Artist status?
                I recorded the 20-minute 'Tea-time Jazz' programme featuring 'New Generation Artists' but was very disappointed.
                It seemed rather polite and inconsequential modern jazz and I won't be keeping the tape.
                The presenter, Fiona Talkington, appeared enthusiastic about the music, however.

JR

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                  I recorded the 20-minute 'Tea-time Jazz' programme featuring 'New Generation Artists' but was very disappointed.
                  It seemed rather polite and inconsequential modern jazz and I won't be keeping the tape.
                  The presenter, Fiona Talkington, appeared enthusiastic about the music, however.

JR
                  Still using tape?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Tonight (Monday 3rd February)...7.30?

Ellington's Nutcracker Suite
                    Radio 3 in Concert

The BBC National Orchestra of Wales and conductor David Danzmayr explore the borderland between classical music and jazz through works by Duke Ellington, Maurice Ravel and Sergei Prokofiev. We begin with the brilliant re-imagining of Tchaikovsky's ballet in which Ellington revamps the suite for the jazz age - including an upgrade of the sugar plum fairy to a sugar rum cherry. Where Ellington was having fun with a classic, Ravel's Piano Concerto in G reverses the roles, a classical composer having fun with the popular music of the day, especially jazz. After the interval, we finish with a selection of movements from Prokofiev's ballet Cinderella. In this treatment of the classic fairy tale, Prokofiev's mastery of orchestral colour brings the inherent romance to the fore.

Recorded 23rd January in Hoddinott Hall and presented by Nicola Heywood Thomas.

7.30pm Ellington: The Nutcracker Suite
                    7.55pm Ravel: Piano Concerto in G major

8.20pm Interval music

8.40pm Prokofiev: Cinderella (Selection of movements)

Huw Watkins (piano)
                    BBC National Orchestra of Wales
                    David Danzmayr (conductor)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Fri 7 Feb, 8pm, BBC4 presents a previously shown documentary titled Doris Day: Virgin Territory, of which the RT blurb reads:
                      Just bumping this up for one Day.

Comment

Working...
                      X