Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackie McLean Quintet with Wallace Roney, Horace Parlan, Peter Washington & Kenny Washington at Mt. Fuji J.F., 1988:

Jackie McLean:asWallace Roney:tpHorace Parlan:pPeter Washington:bKenny Washington:dsMt. Fuji Jazz Festival with Blue Note

JR

Comment

Evan Parker Improvisation

Photograph by Caroline ForbesThough he has worked extensively in both large and small ensembles, Evan Parker is perhaps best known for his solo soprano saxophone music, a singular body of work that in recent years has centred around his continuing exploration of techniques such as circular breathing, split tonguing, overblowing, multiphonics and cross-pattern fingering. The resulting music i

Comment

Dizzy Gillespie with Sonny Stitt, Lou Levy, Ray Brown & Gus Johnson live in Belgium, 1958:

jazz, bebop, bop, trumpet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, dizzy gillespie, sonny stitt, charlie parker

JR

Comment

Chick Corea - "The Brain" - from the so-called IS sessions:

Woody Shaw (tpt) Benny Maupin (ts) Hubert Laws (fl) Dave Holland (b) Horacee Arnold or Jack DeJohnette (d)

Recorded 11/13 May 1969

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Sonny Rollins with Henry Grimes & Pete LaRoca(?) playing 'Weaver of Dreams' in 1959:

1. Weaver of Dreams (0:00)Composed by Jack Elliot & Victor YoungRecorded in Laren, Holland, March 7, 1959Tenor Saxophone – Sonny RollinsBass – Henry GrimesDr...

JR

Comment

Freedom Jazz Dance, from Miroslav Vitous' Mountain in the Clouds of 1969 (not 1972, as stated on the link), with Joe Henderson, John McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock and Jack DeJohnette really making explicit the tacit funk of the original on Miles Smiles in the bassist's arrangement:

Best to google the album title, as I can't make any of the alternative links work.
              Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 07-10-20, 17:26.

Comment

Chet Baker with Harold Danko, Hein Van Der Geyn & John Engels playing 'Four' in Tokyo, June 14, 1987:

Chet Baker (Live In Tokyo) - 01 Stella By Starlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq8oHYWHji8Chet Baker (Live In Tokyo) - 02 For Minors Only: http://www.yo...

JR

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Freedom Jazz Dance, from Miroslav Vitous' Mountain in the Clouds of 1969 (not 1972, as stated on the link), with Joe Henderson, John McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock and Jack DeJohnette really making explicit the tacit funk of the original on Miles Smiles in the bassist's arrangement:

Best to google the album title, as I can't make any of the alternative links work.
                  From Miroslav's album: Mountains In The Clouds.Miroslav Vitous - BassJohn McLaughlin - GuitarJoe Henderson - T.SaxophoneHerbie Hancock - E.PianoJack DeJohnet...

I love this tune and this performance (I posted it on the original post of the John McLaughlin thread IIRC).

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNGVoeDXA6M

I love this tune and this performance (I posted it on the original post of the John McLaughlin thread IIRC).

Most grateful, thanks Joseph K. That whole album was on youtube a couple of years ago. Obviously "too good for the working man" as people used to say.

Comment

Prompted by an article in The Guardian(Film & Music) today(9/10/20) on The Jazz and People's Movement started 50 years ago on US TV:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Most grateful, thanks Joseph K. That whole album was on youtube a couple of years ago. Obviously "too good for the working man" as people used to say.
                          One of my favourite albums...

Comment

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                            One of my favourite albums...
                            I first came across it in a record shop, sometime in the late 1970s, and, not having enough money at the time, it was a toss-up between it and another LP. In the end I chose Chick Corea's Tones for Joan's Bones.

I still miss those wet afternoons spent rifling through offerings in record shops.

Comment

Gordon Beck with Kenny Wheeler, Stan Sulzmann, Dieter Ilg(?) & Tony Oxley playing 'Waltz For Debby':

JR

Comment

Elvin Jones Quartet in 1973, consisting of hisself, Dave Liebman, Steve Grossman and bassist Gene Perla (who he?) - a very fine group; I don't know if they ever made a record: this number was slotted into one of Jezza's programmes in the late 90s, celebrating Elvin's 60th birthday, if I remember correctly.

Elvin Jones - drums; Dave Liebman and Steve Grossman - saxes; Gene Perla - bass; France 1973, stretching out on a Dave Liebman original... Thanx to Dan Adler...

Comment

Working...
                                X