Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elmo
    • Nov 2010

The 1957 Jazz Messengers recorded live at the Blue Note Philadelphia 25/4/1957 with Jackie Mac, Bill Hardman, Johnny Griffin, Sam Dockery, Spanky De Brest and Art.
    Nice to hear a live session by this edition of the band - fired up and inspired.

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
      The 1957 Jazz Messengers recorded live at the Blue Note Philadelphia 25/4/1957 with Jackie Mac, Bill Hardman, Johnny Griffin, Sam Dockery, Spanky De Brest and Art.
      Nice to hear a live session by this edition of the band - fired up and inspired.

elmo
      Great stuff, no idea that existed!

Here's "Sam's tune/Sam you made the bridge too long" by the same band from 1957. This is one of the VERY first jazz records I ever brought on an EP called "Ritual" on Vogue in 1959. Still sounds as remarkable to me.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Part of a great series of interviews with Danny Thompson, from tea chest, to soho strip clubs, to the army, to Ronnie, Tubby Hayes, Alexis Korner et al and on to the folk etc. Great guy

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          Part of a great series of interviews with Danny Thompson, from tea chest, to soho strip clubs, to the army, to Ronnie, Tubby Hayes, Alexis Korner et al and on to the folk etc. Great guy

http://youtu.be/uN1caanKGAs?si=bVU_VNT4CYLcKjnU
          Battersea boy Danny will be 83 now. I must be one of the many who asked him about his sound on the bass, wanting to know if his instrument was customised... Not a good question, Danny was Not Pleased. Give him any bass and he would get the same sound out of it was his insistence. That was when he had a band which played a sophisticated folk jazz drawing on tunes from across the world, with Tony Roberts and Paul Dunmall on saxes flutes and various bagpipes, and John Etheridge on guitar... no drums. He called it Whatever, in answer to a promoter asking what category the music fitted into.

Comment

• elmo
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post

Great stuff, no idea that existed!

Here's "Sam's tune/Sam you made the bridge too long" by the same band from 1957. This is one of the VERY first jazz records I ever brought on an EP called "Ritual" on Vogue in 1959. Still sounds as remarkable to me.

http://youtu.be/6O-G1U8-V8k?si=nmZAav6RckpyI4Ov
            Such an underrated band, my first album by this band was 'Night in Tunisia' on RCA Vik with a "full of eastern promise" sleeve picture - great album though. Here is 'Evans' from the album with a great Jackie solo and the whole band firing on all cylinders.

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Such an underrated band, my first album by this band was 'Night in Tunisia' on RCA Vik with a "full of eastern promise" sleeve picture - great album though. Here is 'Evans' from the album with a great Jackie solo and the whole band firing on all cylinders.

elmo
              That RCA album was the first Art Blakey record I heard back in the early 1960s.
              Here's 'Stanley's Stiff Chickens' from the same band recorded for COLUMBIA in December, 1956:

Provided to YouTube by Columbia/LegacyStanley's Stiff Chickens · Art Blakey & The Jazz MessengersHard Bop (Expanded Edition)℗ Originally released 1957. All r...

JR
              Last edited by Jazzrook; 17-09-23, 10:06.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Back to videos, here's Art Blakey with Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Walter Davis Jr., & Jymie Merritt at Theatre Des Champs-Elysees in November, 1959:

A longer version was recently unblocked by youtube you can find it here (including Blue March and Close your eyes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Hc63dGW...

JR
                Last edited by Jazzrook; 17-09-23, 17:40.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                  Back to videos, here's Art Blakey with Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Walter Davis Jr., & Jymie Merrit at Theatre Des Champs-Elysees in November, 1959:

A longer version was recently unblocked by youtube you can find it here (including Blue March and Close your eyes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Hc63dGW...

JR
                  Splendid.

Comment

• elmo
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                    Back to videos, here's Art Blakey with Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Walter Davis Jr., & Jymie Merrit at Theatre Des Champs-Elysees in November, 1959:

JR
                    Superb solo's by Wayne and Lee on "Are you real" one of my very favourite jazz video's

elmo

Comment

• elmo
                      • Nov 2010

Milt Jackson, Benny Golson, Art Farmer, Ulf Wakenius, Kenny Kirkland, NHOP playing the John Lewis composition "Afternoon in Paris" - lovely stuff. Joseph will enjoy the guitar solo

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Chet Baker Sextet with Lars Gullin(baritone sax); Glauco Masetti(alto sax); Romano Mussolini(piano); Franco Cerri(bass) & Jimmy Pratt(drums) live at Teatro Alfiari, Torino, Italy in 1959:

My Funny Valentine 00:00Bernie's Tune 05:40 All the Things You Are 14:05Chet Baker (vocal, trumpet), Lars Gullin (baryton sax), Glauco Masetti (alto sax) ,...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Milt Jackson, Benny Golson, Art Farmer, Ulf Wakenius, Kenny Kirkland, NHOP playing the John Lewis composition "Afternoon in Paris" - lovely stuff. Joseph will enjoy the guitar solo

elmo
                          Ulf is indeed awesome.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Muddy Waters with Otis Spann, Pat Hare, Andrew Stevens(on), James Cotton & Francis Clay at Newport J.F., July 3, 1960.
                            Brings back memories of the early 1960s 'blues boom':

00:25 Hoochie Coochie Man03:25 Put a Tiger in Your Tank07:45 Catfish Blues (Rollin' Stone)10:55 Got My Mojo Working17:00 Muddy dance moves18:03 Mean Mistreat...

JR
                            Last edited by Jazzrook; 18-09-23, 14:28.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Julian Lage solo acoustic 9/18/23 Homer, NY - YouTube

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

I'm continuing to watch this sublime Julian Lage solo concert. He's so brilliant, often I find myself rewinding the video a bit to listen to something he just played that blew my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X