No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
    Elmo

I was intrigued by that record as I love Steve Lacy's playing. i seem to recall Lacy being totally dismissed by Richard Barrett in here several years ago as not being a competent improviser. Looking back to that lime up , my opinion is that it is the absence of genuine jazz like this which makes the current jazz scene so poor. Not sure if I concur with Bruce's observation that the contemporary British jazz scene is on the verge of something significant but would be guessing we would agree that this seemed to be happening on a regular basis with groups like Steve Lacy's back in the 1980s. I am curious about this disc but the review on All About Jazz was suggestive that the music meandered. I would rather accept Elmo's opinion and am tempted. Not bought any jazz for ages....mainly Villa Lobos and Scarlatti these days !

If I wanted to convert Jazzrook to Classical Music I would choose the piano music by Villa Lobos.
    I have to say I'm surprised to hear that Richard Barrett would say that of Steve Lacy - many composers outside jazz and authoritative commentators have in general been laudatory about Steve Lacy and the importance of what he represents in the story. But I guess in the light of what BBC interviewers always say, "They're not here to answer for themselves", I'll have to believe this - Richard and I did not agree on all things!

Lacy + Cherry a.o. "Evidence" - 1962

full album in two parts (side1 + side2):https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLedcoqyR4s7JCrUQreDGZkmoVq7LkuzoLtaken from the Album / tratto dall’album “EVI...

Wish there was utube of Lacy's solo on this tune with Globe Unity from 1976.

Comment

Working...
    X