• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Don weller rip....

From the Jazzwise obit just now...

"Famously laconic and never one for self-promotion, or likely to stand out as the snappiest dresser on the scene, the great British tenor-saxophonist Don Weller, who has died aged 79, found a way to play that marked him out as one of the most distinctive of local jazz voices. Writing in 1998, the late Jack Massarik described him thus: “This gruffly spoken, barrel-chested South Londoner is a world-class performer but would be the last to tell you so. He imitates nobody yet swings as hard and plays as soulfully as any American icon could..."

RIP Don,
    BN.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Don Weller Qrt 1998 "Juice"...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Very sad, if not unexpected, one has to say. A year ago a close associate of Don's told me he was suffering with bad heart problems, and hadn't played for a long time. The last time I actually saw and spoke to Don was at the funeral of the even-less-well-known local musician and pianist Richard Madgwick, whose sole claim to fame, despite possibly being the best vocalist accompanist, was as pianist to the John (once-upon-a-time Glenn) Miller Orchestra. Don admitted to me being a good five years older than he had always claimed to be - reminding me of the omni-youthful Harry Beckett, and underneath the dry distance that was his persona he would come across as a warm affectionate man who just lived for the music - like others of that generation - (I immediately think of people like Tony Coe, Stan Robinson, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Bobby Wellins, and the ever-ebullient octogenarian Art Themen) - who very much had their own immediately recognisable voices without apparently needing to strive for one, and for whom the most important career move consisted of the next pub date.

Actually Don had for a time a wonderful gutsy, Basie-ish big band, full of people in his own class, and he could "do" free or jazz-rock (his Major Surgery in the 1970s being as resolutely in that freewheeling lineage that eschewed flashionable [sic] US Fusion influences as John Stevens's Away and Trevor Watts's Amalgam) as well as serenade an Ellington ballad or mightily swing a 32-bar standard. And I can think of at least two younger players who have been influenced by his playing style: one who is better known for his free than for his straight-ahead playing, though he is equally committed in both - Simon Picard; and one whose reputation in that regard is the other way around - Andy Sheppard. Simon was introduced to Don's playing as part of a regular "mainstream" north London pub outfit by his dad, the trombonist John Picard (Humph Lyttelton), in his teens, while Andy had "confessed" to Don's impact on his own playing, which can often be heard in those dotted single-note rhythmic punctuations literally peppering solos by all three of these giants. In Don's case my favourite moments would be in comparing how he, Art Themen and Tony Coe, and occasionally John Surman added to the line-up, would deal with one of Stan Tracey's themes in those memorable big band and Octet gigs and recordings from the 1980s: "chunky" being one adjective I would use as best describing the spirit and energy of it all.

Thanks Don for all that you gave to the music.

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Art Themen remembers Don Weller(1940-2020):

Saxophonist Don Weller, who had been unwell for some time, passed away in his native Croydon on Saturday 30 May 2020 at the age of 79. Saxophonist Art Themen, a good friend of Don’s since the…

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          Don Weller Qrt 1998 "Juice"...

http://youtu.be/ExT_GoPqdX4
          That's Andy Cleyndert on bass for that date - Stan Tracey's last longlasting bass player, and bearer of a name whose Dutch (I believe) heritage conveys a good description for the music! The drummer is Dave Barry - a regular at the local Croydon Sundy lunchtime freebie I would regulary attend pre-C-19 lockdown. Dave's missus was a friend of Don's, and if I can make contact (I think the drummer John Webb may have phone numbers or email details) I might do to convey sympathies from bordees, if so wished.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            Art Themen remembers Don Weller(1940-2020):

Saxophonist Don Weller, who had been unwell for some time, passed away in his native Croydon on Saturday 30 May 2020 at the age of 79. Saxophonist Art Themen, a good friend of Don’s since the…

JR
            Thanks for linking to that JR. It says something about the man that a colleague can come up with such a wonderful tribute in such short time. To my embarassment I hadn't realised that Don's wife had passed on, which I am assuming from Art's closing comments.

Art's account captures that dry sense of humour peculiar to south London - you never laugh telling a joke, or even smile, thus you keep others wondering... Don's titles were another aspect of it, such ones as "Shitotto Risotto", "Young Mums' Bums", "Four By Two - dedicated to a piece of wood", and "Rosy Glow" - which, as he announced to the 1995 Appleby audience, becomes "Glosy Row after you've had a few".

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Thanks for linking to that JR. It says something about the man that a colleague can come up with such a wonderful tribute in such short time. To my embarassment I hadn't realised that Don's wife had passed on, which I am assuming from Art's closing comments.

Art's account captures that dry sense of humour peculiar to south London - you never laugh telling a joke, or even smile, thus you keep others wondering... Don's titles were another aspect of it, such ones as "Shitotto Risotto", "Young Mums' Bums", "Four By Two - dedicated to a piece of wood", and "Rosy Glow" - which, as he announced to the 1995 Appleby audience, becomes "Glosy Row after you've had a few".
              I love the title of his 2003 quartet album 'The Way You're Going To Look Tomorrow Morning'. Wish I could find a copy.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

I remember he cut a track, "Young Mum's Bums" and Humph (I'm almost certain it was he) reading that out straight faced on R2. I've got a tape somewhere of him playing in a quartet setting with Georgie Fame, classic solo on "Georgia". I will search for it.....

Meanwhile..."Young Mum's Bums"...http://youtu.be/q2ueYYhAEJ0
                Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 01-06-20, 18:26.

Comment

• burning dog
                  • Dec 2010

Very sad

He was so underrated that he rarely appeared on anyone's list of "the most underrated musician"

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Very sad, if not unexpected, one has to say. A year ago a close associate of Don's told me he was suffering with bad heart problems, and hadn't played for a long time. The last time I actually saw and spoke to Don was at the funeral of the even-less-well-known local musician and pianist Richard Madgwick, whose sole claim to fame, despite possibly being the best vocalist accompanist, was as pianist to the John (once-upon-a-time Glenn) Miller Orchestra. Don admitted to me being a good five years older than he had always claimed to be - reminding me of the omni-youthful Harry Beckett, and underneath the dry distance that was his persona he would come across as a warm affectionate man who just lived for the music - like others of that generation - (I immediately think of people like Tony Coe, Stan Robinson, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Bobby Wellins, and the ever-ebullient octogenarian Art Themen) - who very much had their own immediately recognisable voices without apparently needing to strive for one, and for whom the most important career move consisted of the next pub date.

Actually Don had for a time a wonderful gutsy, Basie-ish big band, full of people in his own class, and he could "do" free or jazz-rock (his Major Surgery in the 1970s being as resolutely in that freewheeling lineage that eschewed flashionable [sic] US Fusion influences as John Stevens's Away and Trevor Watts's Amalgam) as well as serenade an Ellington ballad or mightily swing a 32-bar standard. And I can think of at least two younger players who have been influenced by his playing style: one who is better known for his free than for his straight-ahead playing, though he is equally committed in both - Simon Picard; and one whose reputation in that regard is the other way around - Andy Sheppard. Simon was introduced to Don's playing as part of a regular "mainstream" north London pub outfit by his dad, the trombonist John Picard (Humph Lyttelton), in his teens, while Andy had "confessed" to Don's impact on his own playing, which can often be heard in those dotted single-note rhythmic punctuations literally peppering solos by all three of these giants. In Don's case my favourite moments would be in comparing how he, Art Themen and Tony Coe, and occasionally John Surman added to the line-up, would deal with one of Stan Tracey's themes in those memorable big band and Octet gigs and recordings from the 1980s: "chunky" being one adjective I would use as best describing the spirit and energy of it all.

Thanks Don for all that you gave to the music.
                    SA - what a lovely tribute to a great musician who will be very much missed. A line up with Art , Tony , John and Don in would take some beating anywhere in the world .

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Don Weller with Hannibal Peterson, Martin Blackwell, Dave Green & Brian Spring playing Thelonious Monk's 'Well You Needn't:

Channel 4 UK. Monk's 'Well y9ou Needn't' Hannibel Peterson - trumpet; Don Weller - tenor saxophone; Martin Blackwell - piano; Dave Green - bass; Brian Spring...

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

I am pretty sure that I saw Don Weller with Gil Evans band back in about 1987. The clip is superb and is illustrative of just how different the UK jazz seen was back in about 1980!

I had forgotten about Brian Spring too.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                          I am pretty sure that I saw Don Weller with Gil Evans band back in about 1987. The clip is superb and is illustrative of just how different the UK jazz seen was back in about 1980!

I had forgotten about Brian Spring too.
                          Ian

Don Weller recorded with Gil Evans' British Orchestra which toured the UK in 1983:

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

Jazzrook

I saw Gil Evans at Hammersmith Odeon in 1987 and the sax section consisted of Don Weller, Chris Hunter, George Adams, Steve Lacy and John Surman. That was a massively impressive line up! The soloist I recall the most was guitarist Hiram Bullock who was dancing around the orchestra whilst soloing on "Stone Free." The concert came out on a BBC CD but I have always been convinced that one piece from the concert did not make it to the BBC broadcast. Never been able to clarify this. At that time, Gil Evans was my favourite jazz musician and seeing him in concert remains one of the greatest gigs I have been to.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                              Jazzrook

I saw Gil Evans at Hammersmith Odeon in 1987 and the sax section consisted of Don Weller, Chris Hunter, George Adams, Steve Lacy and John Surman. That was a massively impressive line up! The soloist I recall the most was guitarist Hiram Bullock who was dancing around the orchestra whilst soloing on "Stone Free." The concert came out on a BBC CD but I have always been convinced that one piece from the concert did not make it to the BBC broadcast. Never been able to clarify this. At that time, Gil Evans was my favourite jazz musician and seeing him in concert remains one of the greatest gigs I have been to.
                              According to the review of the BBC CD in the Penguin Guide: "The occasion was distinguished by a brief walk-on from Van Morrison, who delivered an excruciating version of 'Moondance' before disappearing again; mercifully it is not included".
                              Maybe that was the missing piece you heard at the concert?

JR

Comment

Working...
                              X