Montmartre Jazz Club Copenhagen...to (maybe) close for good..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Montmartre Jazz Club Copenhagen...to (maybe) close for good..

Press release...

"LEGENDARY JAZZHUS MONTMARTRE IN COPENHAGEN STOPS ALL CONCERTS AND INITIATES A CLOSE DOWN
    The Corona-virus limitations of only being able to sell 35 tickets for each concert due to social distancing, is causing the legendary Copenhagen jazz club Jazzhus Montmartre to close down.

All staff have been served notice, as has the lease of the historic venue going back to 1959 for decades serving as home for giants such as Dexter Gordon, Ben Webster and Stan Getz, who relocated to Copenhagen in the 60’s because of the vibe of the famous club.

"It’s deeply regrettable, but it is not possible for us to continue the venue at the level of our artistic ambitions while only being able to sell 35 tickets in a house that already at 85 seats is one of the world’s most intimate venues. We had hoped the Danish state would help us, but their help has been too little too late", said Jonas Dyrved, CEO of Montmartre.

The decision to close the historic venue takes immediate effect, so the last concert of the club was last Saturday’s concert with the Danish vocalist Sinne Eeg and her band. The two staff running the club, the CEO and the artistic director Jan Lundgren, have both been served notice, and all part time staff and volunteers have been sent home.

"It’s a truly sad situation for international jazz, for Denmark and for hundreds of artists now losing an important venue for their performance. Montmartre has presented thousands of historic concerts since 1959 and has been part of several generations of talented artists maturing into stars. But we cannot continue any longer - unless someone in the 11th hour will come to our rescue. My phone is open and my fingers crossed. As a board we have a grave responsibility in the given situation, and have been forced to take all necessary steps to close down the venue in an orderly manner," said Michael Christiansen, chairman of the board.

Jazzhus Montmartre used to stage 230 concerts annually for 12-14,000 audiences in the historic venue in Store Regnegade 19a in downtown Copenhagen. More than 600 artists are presented on stage every year. The venue has been run as a non-profit institution by a large group of volunteers, and will need 2.4 million DKK (385,000 USD) in support annually in order to survive. The Copenhagen City Council had earlier this year pledged to give 1 million DKK a year going forward, but the Danish State’s Arts Council didn’t follow suit, and with Corona on top this has led to an unsustainable situation.

"It’s looking truly bleak, but we hope that the state may eventually find a last minute solution together with The Copenhagen City Council, but it’s five minutes to twelve, and we have no other choice than to set the wheels in motion for a closure," said Michael Christiansen.

For further information:

Chairman of the board, Michael Christiansen, telefon: +45 4042 3248, mail: mic.christiansen@gmail.com

CEO, Jonas Dyrved, telefon: +45 2889 4852, mail: jonas@jazzhusmontmartre.dk"

Very sad, and I think soon to be the fate of many...

BN
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
    Press release...

"LEGENDARY JAZZHUS MONTMARTRE IN COPENHAGEN STOPS ALL CONCERTS AND INITIATES A CLOSE DOWN
    The Corona-virus limitations of only being able to sell 35 tickets for each concert due to social distancing, is causing the legendary Copenhagen jazz club Jazzhus Montmartre to close down.

All staff have been served notice, as has the lease of the historic venue going back to 1959 for decades serving as home for giants such as Dexter Gordon, Ben Webster and Stan Getz, who relocated to Copenhagen in the 60’s because of the vibe of the famous club.

"It’s deeply regrettable, but it is not possible for us to continue the venue at the level of our artistic ambitions while only being able to sell 35 tickets in a house that already at 85 seats is one of the world’s most intimate venues. We had hoped the Danish state would help us, but their help has been too little too late", said Jonas Dyrved, CEO of Montmartre.

The decision to close the historic venue takes immediate effect, so the last concert of the club was last Saturday’s concert with the Danish vocalist Sinne Eeg and her band. The two staff running the club, the CEO and the artistic director Jan Lundgren, have both been served notice, and all part time staff and volunteers have been sent home.

"It’s a truly sad situation for international jazz, for Denmark and for hundreds of artists now losing an important venue for their performance. Montmartre has presented thousands of historic concerts since 1959 and has been part of several generations of talented artists maturing into stars. But we cannot continue any longer - unless someone in the 11th hour will come to our rescue. My phone is open and my fingers crossed. As a board we have a grave responsibility in the given situation, and have been forced to take all necessary steps to close down the venue in an orderly manner," said Michael Christiansen, chairman of the board.

Jazzhus Montmartre used to stage 230 concerts annually for 12-14,000 audiences in the historic venue in Store Regnegade 19a in downtown Copenhagen. More than 600 artists are presented on stage every year. The venue has been run as a non-profit institution by a large group of volunteers, and will need 2.4 million DKK (385,000 USD) in support annually in order to survive. The Copenhagen City Council had earlier this year pledged to give 1 million DKK a year going forward, but the Danish State’s Arts Council didn’t follow suit, and with Corona on top this has led to an unsustainable situation.

"It’s looking truly bleak, but we hope that the state may eventually find a last minute solution together with The Copenhagen City Council, but it’s five minutes to twelve, and we have no other choice than to set the wheels in motion for a closure," said Michael Christiansen.

For further information:

Chairman of the board, Michael Christiansen, telefon: +45 4042 3248, mail: mic.christiansen@gmail.com

CEO, Jonas Dyrved, telefon: +45 2889 4852, mail: jonas@jazzhusmontmartre.dk"

Very sad, and I think soon to be the fate of many...

BN
    Very sad, no question - and doubtless any number of renowned venues to follow. Jazz has always been the Cinderella of all the music arts in this country, but one had hopes that more enlightened countries like Denmark might keep the flag flying till all this is over. Not much seems to be being said in our jazz press (sic Jazzwise) about the situations here in this country, possibly for understandable reasons of not wanting to further demoralise a community whose sturdiest are doing their level best to procure continuity by means of on-line and such like collaborative efforts.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Sonny Rollins Qrt. (With Kenny Drew, Nhop, Tootie Heath) live at Cafe Montmartre in 1968...http://youtu.be/Uq-c1EYWsTo

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

I went to the Jazzhus in 1996 when I went on holiday on Denmark. I thought that this was actually a different club to the Montmartre which was closed around that time. To be honest, the two gigs are saw there were at opposite ends of the spectrum with the first being by Hendrik Meurkins with Manfredo Fest on piano. The club was almost empty for this gig which was part of a festival running alongside Copenhagen's festivities for European city of culture. The best thing you could say about this music was that it was pleasant. The following night saw Kenny Garrett with Pat Metheny and Brian Blade which was sensational and then went up a notch again when Dave Liebman sat in. I would have to say that this gig was amongst the top two I have been to and the fact that you were so close to the stage really made the music seem more immediate. Not sure why Metheny comes in for criticism in some quarters as he was incredible that night although you are never going to be disappointed with a KG gig - for me, one of the most dependably exciting jazz musicians on the circuit.

What I would add was that this venue was nothing special even if the acoustics were good when this is not always a given in a club setting. I have been too other small clubs to listen to jazz and I think the music gains by the intimate setting although it is often no guarantee that the music will be great. The venue in Copenhagen did not strike me as a particularly brilliant setting yet I think that jazz clubs are unique amongst all venues in that there is always a level of expectation that the music will "happen." If you like, a jazz club is the ideal laboratory where you can hope to get the perfect results. I think this is because they attract a puritanical audience and the gloves really come off.

The small club at Vienne has pretty dreadful acoustics as it was designed for plays as it is theatre but I love the fact that many of the more "orthodox " jazz musicians seem to go up a gear. There are musicians as diverse as Christian Sands, Chico Freeman, James Carter, etc who seem galvanized within a club setting.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
          I think that jazz clubs are unique amongst all venues in that there is always a level of expectation that the music will "happen." If you like, a jazz club is the ideal laboratory where you can hope to get the perfect results. I think this is because they attract a puritanical audience and the gloves really come off.
          Also arguably because the physical connections between musicians and audience, on which so much of the spirit of jazz is dependent, are obviously less distanced than in an auditorium or concert hall situation.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Also arguably because the physical connections between musicians and audience, on which so much of the spirit of jazz is dependent, are obviously less distanced than in an auditorium or concert hall situation.
            Montmartre from the inside, from a Danish documentary of the earlier years. Opening with Oscar Pettiford, there's not a lot of film around of Oscar....

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Copenhagen Post...

"Just days after it surfaced that legendary Copenhagen jazz joint Montmartre was staring into the abyss of bankruptcy due to the Coronavirus Crisis, a helping hand has come into play.

The culture minister, Joy Mogensen, has announced that she will reach out to Copenhagen Municipality to see if it is possible to save the club.

“It would be a tragedy for Danish jazz if the Coronavirus Crisis ends up doing away with Montmartre,” Mogensen wrote on Facebook.

“Montmartre has been an important hub for jazz in Denmark – a place with a unique pioneering spirit that has attracted a long list of great musicians from the US jazz scene. Legendary names like Dexter Gordon and Ben Webster. Stan Getz. Bill Evans.”

A parliamentary parlay
              Mogensen said she would be willing to reach out to Parliament to allow for special aid to be set aside for Montmartre, if the city and the foundation behind the club come up with a plan.

The city had nominated Montmartre to become a regional venue earlier this year – which would have given the club 1 million kroner annually – but the Danish Arts Foundation decided against that.

Since opening in 1959, Montmartre has been one of the most respected jazz clubs in Europe."

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

Fantastic place. I saw Henry Threadgill there in 1996, a gig that's burned into the memory.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  Fantastic place. I saw Henry Threadgill there in 1996, a gig that's burned into the memory.
                  Some GOOD NEWS...

"JAZZHUS MONTMARTRE SAVED FOR FOUR MORE YEARS! (club press release)

COPENHAGEN’S LEGENDARY JAZZ VENUE, JAZZHUS MONTMARTRE HAS BEEN SAVED LAST MINUTE BY THE COPENHAGEN CITY COUNCIL IN COMBINATION WITH A LARGE DONATION FROM AN ANONYMOUS PRIVATE DONOR MAKING IT POSSIBLE TO CONTINUE UNTIL JANUARY 1ST, 2025.
                  The board of Montmartre decided a few weeks ago to close the club and had to serve notice to staff and premises.

The background was that the Danish State's Art Council had turned down an application for state funding to Montmartre as a regional venue for the next four years, despite support and a recommendation to this role from the Copenhagen City Council.

On top of that the coronavirus limitations have meant a large deficit built up over the past months, and together made it impossible to see a sustainable future for the club.

However, the sad news made a lot of people come forward with support. In particular one private donor, that wanted to step in and save the club. The substantial donation is ongoing for four years, and is given on the condition of anonymity.

The City Council has also decided to grant Montmartre special coronavirus support, and on this basis Montmartre’s board met this morning and decided to re-open the club in November.

The board has re-employed the CEO, Jonas Dyrved, and the artistic director, Jan Lundgren, and has called back the termination of rental of the premises.

This new long-term sustainable solution is made possible in part by the donation from the Copenhagen City Council of 1 million DKK annually for four years, and in part by the private donation.

But there have also been extraordinary contributions from “Augustinus Fonden” and “Konsul Georg Jorck og Hustru Emma Jorcks Fond”.

The donations make it possible to repay all debt, survive long term, and thus reopen in November."

Comment

Working...
                  X