• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Sage TUSKmaster Bishop keeps punt Tandy

Sat Oct 3
    5pm - J to Z

Another chance to hear a special edition recorded in 2019 at We Out Here festival in Cambridgeshire, including an exclusive collaboration by saxophonist Binker Golding and keys player Sarah Tandy. Presented by Jumoké Fashola.

Performances by Binker Golding and Sarah Tandy, plus Jacob Collier’s inspirations.

12midnight - Freeness
    Freeness has teamed up with Radio 3's Friday night programme Late Junction to curate a stage at this year's digital-only festival TUSK, normally held at Sage Gateshead in Newcastle, and renowned for working with artists at an international and local level. Three ensembles are recording a session for broadcast across both programmes. First on the bill is a collaboration between turntablist Mariam Rezael and electronic artist Stephen Bishop, Anglo-American folk duo Cath and Phil Tyler, and jazz quartet Caröm fronted by double bass player Andy Champion, a central figure on the north-east jazz scene. Plus highlights from the rest of the festival's line-up. Presented by Corey Mwamba.

Looks well worth staying up for.

Exclusive session recordings curated by Late Junction and Freeness for TUSK Virtual 2020.

Sun Oct 4
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Jazz records from across the genre, as requested by Radio 3 listeners

11pm - A History of Black Classical Music
    3/3 - Mother Country

Composer Eleanor Alberga focuses on the impact of colonialism and immigration on classical music, plus the history of black composers in the UK.

A repeat of a nevertheless very worthwhile series. The write-up on the link below is good & offers an overview of the programme's scope.

• Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Sat Oct 3
    5pm - J to Z

Another chance to hear a special edition recorded in 2019 at We Out Here festival in Cambridgeshire, including an exclusive collaboration by saxophonist Binker Golding and keys player Sarah Tandy. Presented by Jumoké Fashola.

Performances by Binker Golding and Sarah Tandy, plus Jacob Collier’s inspirations.

12midnight - Freeness
    Freeness has teamed up with Radio 3's Friday night programme Late Junction to curate a stage at this year's digital-only festival TUSK, normally held at Sage Gateshead in Newcastle, and renowned for working with artists at an international and local level. Three ensembles are recording a session for broadcast across both programmes. First on the bill is a collaboration between turntablist Mariam Rezael and electronic artist Stephen Bishop, Anglo-American folk duo Cath and Phil Tyler, and jazz quartet Caröm fronted by double bass player Andy Champion, a central figure on the north-east jazz scene. Plus highlights from the rest of the festival's line-up. Presented by Corey Mwamba.

Looks well worth staying up for.

Exclusive session recordings curated by Late Junction and Freeness for TUSK Virtual 2020.

Sun Oct 4
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Jazz records from across the genre, as requested by Radio 3 listeners

11pm - A History of Black Classical Music
    3/3 - Mother Country

Composer Eleanor Alberga focuses on the impact of colonialism and immigration on classical music, plus the history of black composers in the UK.

A repeat of a nevertheless very worthwhile series. The write-up on the link below is good & offers an overview of the programme's scope.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jdz6
    Just for the record:

TUSK Festival is based in Newcastle.

Sage Gateshead is based in, well, Gateshead!

OG

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      Just for the record:

TUSK Festival is based in Newcastle.

Sage Gateshead is based in, well, Gateshead!

OG
      Thanks - there was me, as a bloody southerner, assuming from the write-ups they were the same place!

Anyway, with any luck the music will prove so good we won't know where it is coming from, and so it won't matter!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Thanks - there was me, as a bloody southerner, assuming from the write-ups they were the same place!

Anyway, with any luck the music will prove so good we won't know where it is coming from, and so it won't matter!
        , S_A.

Should've looked in your mother's map bewk!

OG

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

'My Shining Hour' - nice hearing this just as I tune in, I am very familiar with this tune.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

[B]Sat Oct 3

12midnight - Freeness

Looks well worth staying up for.]
            Late Junction Friday night as well, was worth staying up for. The free Jazz there was more demanding: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000myz8

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
              Late Junction Friday night as well, was worth staying up for. The free Jazz there was more demanding: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000myz8
              Yes, thanks Quarky - I listened to that programme, as I always do if there appear to be interesting items. My ignorance of many of the names on that programme is my only obstacle to publicising them on one of our named jazz programmes.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Good to hear a number from Clark Tracey's Stiperstones Suite - which I thought I remembered well from the Bracknell Festival premiere, until, switching on JRR, I imagined I was listening to an unknown track from a Clifford Brown session, mid-1950s, with McCoy Tyner sitting in. I know... I know...!

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                  • Nov 2010

Guy Barker, t; Jamie Talbot, ts; Steve Melling p; Alec Dankworth, b; Clark Tracey d. 1987

Comment

Working...
                  X