No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sio, What Are You Listening To?

http://raremusicrecordings.co.uk/alb...ive-in-Viersen

When I ordered, I overlooked the name - Jerry Underwood - thought it was a bassist backing-up Tony.

Quite a surprise to hear on the opening tune (Alone Forever...[I]don't want to dwell on it[/I]!) this hitherto unknown (to me) tenorist roar out of the box! With some heavy tom-tom accompanying by Tony.

So, glad to have unconsciously heard of Jerry Underwood as he is no longer on the planet.

Unusual lineup including Paul Dunmall, mostly soloing on baritone and Andy Sheppard, whose solos are on the 'straight sax'.

Would have preferred to have heard both blowing their stronger axe(s), but capturing live history (particularly Underwood!) makes up for that....
    Last edited by charles t; 23-08-11, 15:17.

Good Sunday listening for all that ails you: Yazoo's The Roots of Robert Johnson. Lovely 1990 compellation of the originals from the original artists thought to be a later influence to Robert Johson. 14 magic tracks.

Comment

Grippie

That sounds an interesting CD. Having listened to quite a bit of pre-war Country blues, it is curious to see how frequently some melodies crop up with different titles / words by the various guitarists. Can't recollect the song, but one was played by the Mississppi Shieks, Robert Johnson and Charlie Patton.

Have yo ever listened to much "Blind Blake" - can't make up my mind to go for him or Frank Stokes when I buy my next blues CD.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

"Can't recollect the song." How about the old warhorse: Sitting on Top of the World?

Blind Blake: wonderful picking style.

Barbecue Bob: Unique strong low playing emphasised by lovely bright cords,

Sorry just wrote that and you asked about Frank Stokes doh! He likes to pick with a sparkly riff/rhythm.

Comment

Just replying to my own so that update makes it.

Comment

When was that Viersen gig recorded? I hope it wasn't when I was living nearby between '99 and '02. (Tried to go and see Charlie Mariano there once but couldn't find the venue - argh. Then I found out after I moved back to Blighty that Tony Oxley lived only just downt' road from me in Mönchengladbach and that Moers wasn't that far away either. Though I did bump into John Parricelli at Düsseldorf airport once.)
            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

Oh yes, NP: "Hat and Beard" off some obscure Blue Note LP from '64. Looking forward to my favourite track on that album, "Gazzelloni".
              all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

ELMO HOPE TRIO (1959) Contemporary. Elmo avec Jimmy Bond, Frank Butler.

One of the truly GREAT trio records and Elmo's finest hour. Stunning stuff where it all comes together, playing and compositions...and Butler and Elmo were made for each other.

BN.

Comment

Bill Evans and the WDR Big Band: Vans Joint

(I'm sure there should be an apostrophe in the title, but that's how it's spelled).

The saxophonist, not the pianist. The modern equivalent of an early sixties Blue Note straightahead bluesy hardbop recording like "Sidewinder" or "The Cat Walk", but with a funky post-fusion sound (and a cracking big band). Not profound, but very enjoyable.

Here's some live footage of them from about the same time, which will particularly appeal to those who like a good two-tenor battle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNj9B4r3Mkg

Comment

Sarah Ward - what a great Jazz presenter!

Previously, I had shunned Jazz FM on the basis of other presenters.

Comment

I've been spinning a collection of Blind Blake recordings. This guitarist was someone who apparently eluded the attention of fans during 1960's Blues revival and remains something of a mystery man in that no one actually knows what his real name was with any certainty and the circumstances of his death sometime in the late 30's / early 40's is open to speculation too. The recordings themselves have been described as showing an earlier, Ragtime influence on the Blues but the better tracks of this CD are demonstrative of how the critics making this assessment seemed oblivious to the fact that Blind Blake was very much influenced by the jazz of his time. Whilst he doesn't have the greatest voice, the guitar playing is staggering in it's quality. Fans of Piedmont style guitarists like Blind Willie McTell should ehck out his work. From a musical point of view (use of doubleltime, harmonic substituations and a style that owes a lot of Harlem Stride piano) Blake was probqbly the greatest of his generation. a fascinatng disc.

Comment

thanks Ian phenomenal technique and control ...

worth catching on youtube!
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

This is a better example of what Blind Blake was all about. The sound quality it a bitwierd and differss form my CD where rhe soubd is must better:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZayTp...f=list_relatedCalum

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                            This is a better example of what Blind Blake was all about. The sound quality it a bitwierd and differss form my CD where rhe soubd is must better:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZayTp...f=list_relatedCalum
                            That's a great bit of picking. I'm a guitar player myself. My personal favourite finger picker is the great Mississippi John Hurt. Here he is being patronised by some white folks:

(I've noticed you folks don't embed your video clips. Is it considered bad form?)

Comment

Originally posted by Pilchardman View Post
                              (I've noticed you folks don't embed your video clips. Is it considered bad form?)
                              Never learned how P! Great player that John Hurt - here's another of the great players - Lonnie Johnson being introduced by Sonny Boy - and what a band
                              The wonderful Lonnie Johnson performing his jazz blues song Another Night to Cry from the year 1963.🎵 Enjoy more from Vintage Video HubNicky Thomas - Is It ...

Comment

Working...
                              X