• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Happy New Ears to All Fellow Jazzers!

New Year's Day
    12 midnight

To make up for all the jazz that didn't get broadcast over Christmas, there will be no J to Z this Saturday. However, the gig mentioned below should be more than worth tuning in for; for one reason apart from the music, this would if I remember rightly have coincided with the generals in Poland seizing power in order (unsuccessfully) to put down the growing influence of Solidarnosc and the shipbuilders at Gdansk.

Corey Mwamba with music by pianist and poet Robert Mitchell and cellist Shirley Smart, who reflect on new ways of seeing* and remembering. Plus Boston-based South Korean pianist Eunhye Jeong and a 1984 jazz performance in Poland featuring an all-star lineup including Cecil Taylor, Tomasz Stanko, Jimmy and Karen Lyons, and William Parker.

*Somebody else must have noticed that John Berger's remarkable programme series of 1972, Ways of Seeing, is being commemorated in a series on Radio 4 next week!

Corey Mwamba presents music to soundtrack new beginnings and shifts in perspective.

Sun 2 Jan
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests.

Alyn Shipton with requests for Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, British vocalist Tina May and American Pianist Jessica Williams.

Alyn Shipton presents jazz records of all styles as requested by you.

Finally, the prominent Trinidad-born Errollyn Wallen is featured Composer of the Week next week, for which I'll post a separate thread.
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

....I hear you S_A....<thumbs up>....
    bong ching

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Looking forward to the commemoration of John Berger's 'Ways of Seeing' on Radio 4 but wish they hadn't broken it up into five 15-minute chunks. I'm bound to miss one or more of them at that awkward time of 9.45am.

JR

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
        Looking forward to the commemoration of John Berger's 'Ways of Seeing' on Radio 4 but wish they hadn't broken it up into five 15-minute chunks. I'm bound to miss one or more of them at that awkward time of 9.45am.

JR
        That's what Sounds is for.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Interesting connection, Mike Dibb, who directed Berger's Ways.of Seeing, also directed the documentary on Barbara Thompson and Jon, and a documentary on Keith Jarrett - "most difficult subject, most difficult person"!

MD..."This was the first of two major documentaries Mike made with the virtuoso UK jazz saxophonist/composer Barbara Thompson and her husband the brilliant jazz/rock drummer Jon Hiseman; each one filmed at significant but contrasting moments in their personal and professional lives.

Barbara and Jon had first met back in the 1960’s when they were both members of The New Jazz Orchestra. After which they married and had two children…but then for a while went their separate musical ways, Barbara towards jazz and Jon to rock.

“Jazz, Rock and Marriage” was filmed in 1979, at the beginning of the wonderfully creative period after Jon had left Colosseum to join Barbara’s band “Paraphernalia..."

Comment

Working...
          X