• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Jack's kerosene in despair room

Sat 23 July
    5pm - J to Z

Jumoké Fashola marks the centenary of the birth of US author Jack Kerouak (1922-69) with a musical journey through his influential 1957 novel On the Road and later works of poetry. Kerouak had a way of bringing the records, clubs and performances he witnessed to life, while incorporating aspects of jazz into his writing. Featuring music by artists who inspired him, including Billie Holiday, Charlie Parker, Lionel Hampton and Slim Gaillard.

Celebrating jazz poet Jack Kerouac’s centenary with the music of On the Road.

12midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba presents music that reclaims and reimagines experiences of despair and injustice. Los Angeles-based musicians Kozue Matasumoto, Patrick Shiroshi and Shoshi Watanabe collaborate on Yellow, merging Japanese instruments and styles with avant-garde sensibilities to explore Japanese-American identity. Plus music by Ashley Paul.

Corey Mwamba presents new music that reclaims and reimagines.

uly 24 July
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Today's listener requests include Lester Young, Betty Carter and Esbjorn Svensson.

Tues 26 July
    10.45pm - The Essay: My Life in Music

Soweto Kinch discusses Ella Fitzgerald's 1957 recording of Duke Ellington's Rockin' in Rhythm and the positivity and joy in such music (repeat).
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

I see the heat hasn't frazzled your wit, S_A, that title's a bit inflammatory for these conflagratory times, perhaps!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      I see the heat hasn't frazzled your wit, S_A, that title's a bit inflammatory for these conflagratory times, perhaps!
      I need a propellant right now - the hot weather seems to have slowed me right down!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Sat 23 July - BBC2
        9pm - Charlie Watts: My Life as a Rolling Stone

Fourth and final of the set of 4 programmes on (most of) the band centres on the jazz side of his proclivities, apparently. Well, it might just attract some Stones fan born in 1945 to say, "Hey, people have always been telling me about this jazz thing, but you know what - I've never bothered investigating it?"

A stellar cast of musicians reflect on the life and influence of drummer Charlie Watts.

Comment

Working...
        X