• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Tune in for who will be the BBC's new jazz star

Sat 19 Nov
    5pm - J to Z

Another chance to hear a session from double bassist, composer and band leader Daniel Casimir in session, with music from his debut album Boxed In.

Daniel Casimir in session, plus Kathrine Windfeld’s inspirations.

12midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba with new jazz and improvised music, including a new recording from Peter Rehberg on electronics and Reinhold Friedl playing the inside of a piano, plus Leo Chang and Lucie Vitkova with amplified gongs and accordion performing at the Judson Memorial Church, New York.

Corey Mwamba shares adventurous improvised music that expands the horizons of sound.

Sun 20 Nov
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Meanwhile, on The Box:

Sun 20 Nov - BBC4
    8pm - BBC Young Jazz Musician: Final

Five emerging stars of jazz perform in the final of BBC Young Jazz Musician. Presented by DJ Jamz Supernova, the contest is part of the London Jazz Festival and takes place at the Southbank Centre's Queen Elizabeth Hall, in front of a live audience, pianists Luke Bacchus and Nick Manz, guitarist Ralph Porrett, saxophonist Emma Rawicz-Szczerbo and double-bassist Ewan Hastie will perform for judges Claire Martin, Bill Laurance, Emma-Jean Thackray and Ayanna Witter-Johnson.

Five emerging stars of jazz compete for the title of BBC Young Jazz Musician 2022.

This is followed, at 10pm, by the exceptional 2012 Mike Dibb documentary Barbara Thompson, Playing against Time, unflichingly following her and Jon Hiseman's brave journey into what tragically would prove to be Barbara's final journey. The write-up on the link has been superseded by her passing, and one would have thought someone should have been alerted, but this remains a vital watch.

Jazz saxophonist/composer Barbara Thompson's creative struggle with Parkinson's disease.

I am posting Saturday evening's Archive on 4:Hendrix - Everything but the Guitar over on the Experimental etc board.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 17-11-22, 21:11. Reason: URL correction
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

I would never miss a jazz talent program presented by DJ Jamz Supernova. It's obvious that "Britain's five emerging stars of jazz" are in safe hands. And the judges, just great. Really great.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      I would never miss a jazz talent program presented by DJ Jamz Supernova. It's obvious that "Britain's five emerging stars of jazz" are in safe hands. And the judges, just great. Really great.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

You mean you don't listen to Radio 1 Extra , innit ?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
          You mean you don't listen to Radio 1 Extra , innit ?
          We are a long way from "Two way family favourites", Toto...http://youtu.be/kgjUOFPdQ2o

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

The four judges are "a panel of respected British jazzers" according to Radio Times although I've only heard of one of them(who used to present Jazz Line-Up).

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
              The four judges are "a panel of respected British jazzers" according to Radio Times although I've only heard of one of them(who used to present Jazz Line-Up).

JR
              Jazzrook

Other than through work, I tend not to mix with people who are 20-30 years younger than me but occasionally I have encountered jazz fans who are it their teens, twenties and maybe early thirties at places like Vienne. It is fascinating to see how these fans perceive Jazz as it is vastlty different to the notions about improvisation that were prevalent when I discovered jazz. Just think that their concept of "innovation" is more centred around "groove" than anything else - hence the fascination with DJs. Quite salutory to think that the musicians I was discovering in the 1980s are all veterans now.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Didn't watch it but quick answer...

...Hastie

Edinburgh-born, Glasgow-based bassist Ewan Hastie has won the 2022 BBC Young Jazz Musician competition. The BBC’s press release is reproduced in full below. Ewan Hastie. Photo by Tricia Yourk…

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                  Didn't watch it but quick answer...

...Hastie

https://londonjazznews.com/2022/11/2...n-competition/
                  It was going to be him because he had the best chops of all of them. I was still surprised in a way - pretty narrow pitch range, no arco (bowing). I wasn't over-impressed by any of the rest of them, though part of the problem was the terrible sound making them all seem swamped or dwarfed by the "busyness" of the backing band. I would have gone for Nick Manze, who seemed musically the maturest and got the best interaction going with Nikki's band, though he was somewhat legato for me, and I kept imploring him to keep on top of the pace.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Who is this Nick Manze of whom you speak? Any relation of the famed violinist/conductor of the same name?

Ah, I see he is an imposter, Nick Manz.

Comment

• Constantbee
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post

JR
                      Was surprised - and pleased - to see Emma-Jean Thackray on the judges panel. I doubt whether her current output would appeal to the older generation of jazz fans here present, though. What you might like to know, though, is that she has a very interesting and distinguished jazz background: comes from Leeds, started life as a bandswoman playing cornet, studied jazz trumpet at the Royal Welsh, did a masters in orchestral jazz composition at Trinity Laban. So she’s formidably well qualified, imho. She also happens to have a great voice and sells lots of albums.

Thought Ewan Hastie was a worthy winner.

How do you get tickets for the BBYJM final, btw?
                      And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                        Was surprised - and pleased - to see Emma-Jean Thackray on the judges panel. I doubt whether her current output would appeal to the older generation of jazz fans here present, though. What you might like to know, though, is that she has a very interesting and distinguished jazz background: comes from Leeds, started life as a bandswoman playing cornet, studied jazz trumpet at the Royal Welsh, did a masters in orchestral jazz composition at Trinity Laban. So she’s formidably well qualified, imho. She also happens to have a great voice and sells lots of albums.

Thought Ewan Hastie was a worthy winner.

How do you get tickets for the BBYJM final, btw?
                        Submit a selfie holding a silver-plated spoon?

Comment

Working...
                        X