Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant Steps

Xmas present from Mrs elmo a new book by Frank Bergerot dedicated to Trane's iconic album. Obviously haven't read it yet but it looks good including some previously unseen photographs and a cd, will update when I have read it.

elmo

Sounds good, elmo.

Comment

Originally posted by elmo View Post
      Xmas present from Mrs elmo a new book by Frank Bergerot dedicated to Trane's iconic album. Obviously haven't read it yet but it looks good including some previously unseen photographs and a cd, will update when I have read it.

elmo
      Looks fascinating, elmo and wonderful photo of Trane on the cover.
      Mrs elmo is costing me now!

Giant Steps - The Cornerstone of Modern Jazz by Frank Bergerot by John Coltrane on Jazz Images. The complete 'Giant Steps' album plus bonus track on 1 CD packaged together with a deluxe 88-page hardback book by renowned jazz writer Franck Bergerot.

JR

Comment

[QUOTE=Jazzrook;903317]Looks fascinating, elmo and wonderful photo of Trane on the cover.

Giant Steps - The Cornerstone of Modern Jazz by Frank Bergerot by John Coltrane on Jazz Images. The complete 'Giant Steps' album plus bonus track on 1 CD packaged together with a deluxe 88-page hardback book by renowned jazz writer Franck Bergerot.

She costs me as well ...

We were watching the old British film Geniveve yesterday with Kenneth More and Kay Kendall and she says the music for that was by Albert Ayler. I said definitely not and played her a bit of 'Bells'. She said I always get those names mixed up Larry Adler and AA but after listening to Bells and the look of horror on her face thats never going to happen again

elmo

Comment

[QUOTE=elmo;903443]
          Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          Looks fascinating, elmo and wonderful photo of Trane on the cover.

She costs me as well ...

We were watching the old British film Geniveve yesterday with Kenneth More and Kay Kendall and she says the music for that was by Albert Ayler. I said definitely not and played her a bit of 'Bells'. She said I always get those names mixed up Larry Adler and AA but after listening to Bells and the look of horror on her face thats never going to happen again

elmo
          I remember seeing Genevieve at my local cinema when it first came out in 1953 which gives my age away. Would have been vastly improved with some Albert Ayler music!
          I see that his marvellous 4-CD set 'Revelations: The Complete ORTF 1970 Fondation Maeght Recordings' came top of the 2022 Jazz Reissues Poll in Jazzwise magazine but you wouldn't know that from listening to BBC jazz programmes.

Albert Ayler – Revelations: The complete ORTF 1970 Fondation Maeght Recordings (Elemental 5-LP or 4-CD set. 5990443. Album review by Jon Turney) Three great saxophonists helped ease jazz out …

JR

Comment

[QUOTE=Jazzrook;903460]

I remember seeing Genevieve at my local cinema when it first came out in 1953 which gives my age away. Would have been vastly improved with some Albert Ayler music!
            I see that his marvellous 4-CD set 'Revelations: The Complete ORTF 1970 Fondation Maeght Recordings' came top of the 2022 Jazz Reissues Poll in Jazzwise magazine but you wouldn't know that from listening to BBC jazz programmes.

Albert Ayler – Revelations: The complete ORTF 1970 Fondation Maeght Recordings (Elemental 5-LP or 4-CD set. 5990443. Album review by Jon Turney) Three great saxophonists helped ease jazz out …

JR
            Actually Larry Adler wasn't that bad a jazz harpist, going by something I believe I heard once on JRR.

Comment

[QUOTE=Serial_Apologist;903486]

Actually Larry Adler wasn't that bad a jazz harpist, going by something I believe I heard once on JRR.
              Think it was 'The Girl Friend' with Ruby Braff, Ellis Larkins, Skeeter Best & Bill Pemberton played on JRR back in 2012:

Provided to YouTube by Xelon EntertainmentThe Girl Friend · Larry AdlerThe Golden Era of Larry Adler, Vol. 2℗ 2019 P.E.R MusicReleased on: 2019-07-14Auto-gen...

JR

Comment

[QUOTE=Jazzrook;903460]

JR
                Jazzrook

This can be easily rectified by asking for some of the Albert Ayler record to be played on JRR for your mates on the Jass Bored. Probably exactly what is needed after watching another inept Saints performance under Nathan Jones' management. Bring back Ralph!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Jazzrook;903496]
                  Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Think it was 'The Girl Friend' with Ruby Braff, Ellis Larkins, Skeeter Best & Bill Pemberton played on JRR back in 2012:

Provided to YouTube by Xelon EntertainmentThe Girl Friend · Larry AdlerThe Golden Era of Larry Adler, Vol. 2℗ 2019 P.E.R MusicReleased on: 2019-07-14Auto-gen...

JR
                  I think you're right JR - thanks!

Comment

[QUOTE=Ian Thumwood;903534]

Jazzrook

This can be easily rectified by asking for some of the Albert Ayler record to be played on JRR for your mates on the Jass Bored. Probably exactly what is needed after watching another inept Saints performance under Nathan Jones' management. Bring back Ralph!!
                    Have done so - many thanks, Ian.

JR

Comment

....listening to JRR Wayne Shorter tribute....Giant Steps constantly/regularly quoted by all instrumentalist throughout this programme....
                      bong ching

Comment

Working...
                      X