Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview with US vocalist José James.

Not often do I find myself in almost total concurrence with views expressed by one of today's younger vocalists, but for me José is largely spot on with what she says here. The story of the happenstance circumstances through which she got her break - it was while over here taking part in a vocalists' competition, but not at all how you might think it would turn out! - is ironic in its outcome to say the least! Pity about the Jon Hendricks encounter, but again José stuck to her radical vision and it proved right - though who am I to say, never actually having heard her singing.

José James: Why The Female Of The Species Is Groovier Than The Male article by Peter Jones, published on April 4, 2023 at All About Jazz. Find more Catching Up With articles

SA

I am not sure if I have seen Jose James at Vienne and am not too familiar with his work. The most interesting comment he made was regarding the two camps of musicians in college who were either followers of Brad Mehldau or Robert Glasper. That is a depressing thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
      SA

I am not sure if I have seen Jose James at Vienne and am not too familiar with his work. The most interesting comment he made was regarding the two camps of musicians in college who were either followers of Brad Mehldau or Robert Glasper. That is a depressing thought.
      Her work.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Her work.
        Her or he?.Unless this is a pronoun "thing" he's a he.

http://youtu.be/-2MDxpXdJPM

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          Her or he?.Unless this is a pronoun "thing" he's a he.

http://youtu.be/-2MDxpXdJPM
          From the way that article is worded I assumed José to be female - it appears I owe Ian an apology!

Sorry, Ian!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            From the way that article is worded I assumed José to be female - it appears I owe Ian an apology!

Sorry, Ian!
            SA / Bluesnik

I came across the first reference to a non-binary jazz musician last week so had to re-read the article to see if I had missed something somewhere. The musician in question is an American - Filipina but she was self-identifying with a word which I think was "Filipinx" which is a newish non-binary term. My partner is from the Philippines and she had never heard of that word albeit , (and despite Dueterte) society is quite liberal over there. She had never heard of Susie Ibarra either. I have found Susie Ibarra's website to be fascinating, not least because she is another musician who appears to be into birdwatching and inspired by nature.

I have been listening to quite a bit music from Philippines of late and find it quite interesting how it has effectively shadowed Western music but with it's own quirks. Some of the classical music they have produced is fascinating and I would recommend reading "Noli me tangere" by Jose Rizal who was a revolutionary and novelist shot by the Spanish in 1897. For the last three months I have been obsessing on PH culture and wildlife and can't wait to go backagain next year.

Comment

Working...
            X