No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahmad Jamal RIP

BBC News...

Acclaimed jazz pianist, composer and band leader Ahmad Jamal has died aged 92, his wife has said.

The cause was prostate cancer, his daughter Sumayah Jamal told the New York Times.

Ahmad Jamal was a lifelong friend of jazz icon Miles Davis and influenced a generation of musicians.

He was know for a sparse playing style - often placing silence between notes - and critics hailed his "less is more dynamics".

Jamal, who called jazz "American classical music", said during his life that he liked to honour what he described as the spaces in the music.

He started his seven-decade jazz career as a teenager in the bebop age of virtuosic showmanship - but his style evolved rapidly.

His laid-back approach quickly became influential and commercial success followed with his 1958 album At the Pershing: But Not for Me - one of the best-selling instrumental records of its time.

In a piece written last year to mark the release of some of his unissued recordings, the magazine the New Yorker wrote that in the 1950s, "his musical concept was one of the great innovations of the time, even if its spare, audacious originality was lost on many listeners".

Jamal's life long friend, the trumpeter Miles Davis, once said: "All my inspiration comes from Ahmad Jamal"...

"The Awakening" album on Impulse! is the one that converted me. A superb trio recording.

http://youtu.be/L34b0ut8Loc

RIP

The first time I saw Ahmad Jamal play at Vienne was really memorable and he grabbed the attention from the savvy audience throughout the gig. Everyone was spellbound and the whole quartet gelled superbly. His playing really exploited the potential of the piano and I think the less-is-more approach really drew you in to his playing. The crowd gave him and standing ovation and they refused to let him leave the stage. I think he ended up going at least three encores. For me, tis was one of the memorable nights at Vienne.

I don't think it is too difficult to draw a line between the kind of jazz Ahmad Jamal played and that of more recent groups like Keith Jarrett's trio. Endless virtuosity on a piano can be tiring to listen to. Getting to the point quickly and staying in the zone is a sign of musical maturity. I would also have to say that the effortless swing of Jamal's playing is a quality not properly appreciated these days.

Comment

Ahmad with George Coleman, France 2000.

I hadn't seen this video before and it's wonderful from both. "There's a lull in my life" especially.

http://youtu.be/4oUR0TO-7Uk

Comment

....I've got a couple of albums....but, I didn't realise his age - or his longevity in Jazz continium....He hear a heartbeat pulse in it all i have heard....chimes, conundrums of chords and runs

....Calum da Jazzbo a great proponent....

....Bluesy thanks great link....good start musically to the week....I'll see if I can keep up that standard....
        Last edited by eighthobstruction; 17-04-23, 10:35.
        bong ching

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation, BN. He is one of those names I have heard about, but never checked out.

Comment

Ahmad Jamal Trio playing Morton Gould's 'Pavanne' which is said to have been the inspiration for Miles Davis's 'So What' and John Coltrane's 'Impressions':

Written by Morton Gould...reinterpreted by Mr. Jamal...From the Legendary Epic & Okeh Recordings of 1951 & 1955...I believe this cut to be from the 1955 sess...

Gould recorded this light orchestral version of his own composition about three years after the release of Bill Finegan’s more widely-known dance band arrang...

JR

Comment

....some very sweet stuff with funk going on here (his Two-Tone period perhaps)....
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yqc-wdhHpQ....Ahmad liked to smile....

....that is the same bassist as on BN's link isn't it??....
              Last edited by eighthobstruction; 17-04-23, 15:05.
              bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                ....some very sweet stuff with funk going on here (his Two-Tone period perhaps)....
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yqc-wdhHpQ....Ahmad liked to smile....

....that is the same bassist as on BN's link isn't it??....
                Yep, the upright bass player on the French Jamal/Coleman concert was James Cammack, he's also the electric on yours. Apparently he played with Ahmed for "nearly 40 years". That is one steady gig!

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post

"The Awakening" album on Impulse! is the one that converted me. A superb trio recording.

http://youtu.be/L34b0ut8Loc

RIP
                  I love the version of Stolen Moments on that album.

Hugely influential musician.... RIP
                  .................................................. ...............................................

Fine interview here

Ahmad Jamal is a jazz pianist whose technique, dynamics and control are something to behold. What comes out of the piano is extraordinary.
                  Last edited by burning dog; 17-04-23, 19:00.

Comment

Ted Gioia on Ahmad Jamal:

Over the course of an influential career, he transformed the rhythmic and melodic textures of improvised music.

JR

Comment

Excellent obituary in today’s Times.

Comment

My obit in Jazzwise: https://www.jazzwise.com/news/articl...-HuCWpzQucdLq4

We're remembering him on JRR on 7 May, to give listeners time to get their requests in. Email the programme if you have tracks you'd like to suggest. I first met him in 1994, and got to know him over the years, doing broadcasts and interviews. A lovely individual, as well as an astonishing musician. His 2014 RFH concert is a standout memory.

Comment

Working...
                        X