X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinch hip

Sat 22 April
    12.30pm - This Classical Life

Soweto Kinch as guest - could be interesting.

5pm - J to Z
    A special edition of the jazz series in which Julian Joseph pays tribute to influential New Jersey-born saxophonist and improviser Wayne Shorter, who died last month, aged 89. Featuring landmark recordings and rarities, from his days with Art Blakey and Miles Davis to his work with Weather Report and beyond. Plus tributes from saxophonist Shabaka Hutchings and bassist John Patitucci and extracts from Joseph's 2004 interview with Shorter - marked by the same openness, warmth and playfulness that came through in his music.

Julian Joseph pays tribute to master saxophonist and improviser Wayne Shorter.

12midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba with new jazz and improvised music with an adventurous spirit, tonight showcasing music from artists scheduled to perform at the Cheltenham International Jazz Festival (26 April-1 May), a festival started in 1996* and covering the full spectrum of jazz. Tonight's playlist includes a recording by Deadeye Reiner Baas, Kit Downes and Jonas Burgwinkel, a group with a fresh perspective on the Hammond trio format. Plus improvisation from the Norwegian septet led by drummer Paal Nissen-Love, who draws inspiration from his experiences in Ethiopia and Brazil and his fascination with Malian and Senegalese traditions. There's also music from Black Top and trio Skylla, helmed by Ruth Goller, with Lauren Kinsella and Alice Grant.

*Shurely shome mishtake? How come some of us were attending Cheltenham way back in the 1980s?

Corey Mwamba offers a foretaste of the upcoming Cheltenham International Jazz Festival.

Sun 23 April
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton looks forward to the Cheltenham Jazz Festival (26 April-1 May) with tracks chosen by some of this year's featured artists.

A great idea.

As I anticipated, the handing over today's requests to associates and forthcoming participants at Cheltenham resulted in one of the most interesting JRRs for a long time. What I particularly like about this is that it gives valuable insight into musicians by way of what they appreciate in other musicians. I hope schedulers continue with this policy. Hats off too to Julian Joseph for Saturday's J to Z tribute to Wayne Shorter, which for me got it just right - again, an excellent representation in recordings, with moving reminiscences coming from associates.

Comment

Thanks S-A, it was fun to make this programme, mixing festival-related requests with those from listeners. Hope you enjoy next week's International Jazz Day one. Some great suggestions have come in.

Comment

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
        Thanks S-A, it was fun to make this programme, mixing festival-related requests with those from listeners. Hope you enjoy next week's International Jazz Day one. Some great suggestions have come in.

Also worth hearing, as I have just now done, Soweto Kinch's enlightened insights as put forward on last Saturday's This Classical Life, which I would thoroughly recommend a listen to - linked in the OP. Soweto is certainly one among his generation whose views are well worth taking on board; and, like my appreciative friend and a fellow musician Ricky, a fellow Brummie!

Comment

Working...
        X