Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like the jam session repertoire. Mt old copy of the Real Book fell to pieces but there is now so much more music readily available that it is no longer necessary to call out "So what." Bill Evans' harmonies are terrific on this record yet no other version is really warranted. "impressions" has never little going for it - I much prefer "After the rain" which is his best composition, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Audustus View Post
      I dread Impressions or So What being callled at one of our local jam nights. They are always difficult to get right. Kids get up and think they're easy and I've got to dredge up out of the old grey-matter all those quartal voicings and try and make the comping sound interesting as they noodle away in some dorian/bluesy mish-mash.
      They need to remember, it's so many bars in this key (or mode if you prefer) and so many bars a semitone higher, alternating. Too many drinks in the interval may not help...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        Bill Evans' harmonies are terrific on this record yet no other version is really warranted.
        The odd thing to me is that, having in "So What" inaugurated the chords-built-of-fourths approach to modalism, which everyone (apart from the Taylorites) picked up on and to this day still uses, Bill Evans hardly ever employed it again!

Comment

always preferred JC with ED myself

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            always preferred JC with ED myself
            The most amazing... well for me actually, one of the most amazing jazz recordings of all time - is a version of that quintet playing Mr PC from another European concert I have on a bootleg. "Coltrane never recorded Mister PC with Dolphy" a famous tenor saxophonist who shall remain nameless insisted on telling me. Sorry bruv, not true.

Comment

HAIL CALUM Prince of Serendipity....http://www.theatlantic.com/video/ind...-one-man-band/
              bong ching

Comment

Working...
              X