• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Jon3 24.x.11.Free Improv heaven?

... performance by free improvisers Evan Parker, Louis Moholo, John Tchicai and Tony Marsh. Parker has been at the heart of the British and international free-jazz scene for half a century, renowned for his stunning technique and more recently his use of electronics. He is reunited with fellow member of big band The Brotherhood of Breath, South African drummer Louis Moholo

Danish saxophonist John Tchicai is perhaps best known for his role in the explosion of New York free-jazz in the 1960s, including appearing on John Coltrane's Ascension album, and teams up with British drummer Tony Marsh, whose long-term collaborations include with the Mike Westbrook Orchestra and trumpeter Harry Beckett.
    and a feature on the impact of Eric Dolphy

Jon3 goes hard core man, hard core ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • diogenesdog

Embarrassed to say that a lot of those names are just names to me - it'll be a good chance to put sounds to them.
    Not sure my bank account will appreciate the inevitable next-day music splurge though.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

This all looks rather brilliant imv
      Evan is one of the few musicians that I have heard that is able to polarise audiences in an extreme way
      with some wanting to sell all their possessions and become his disciples and others wanting to have him banned from ever playing in public
      a great tonic to those who think that music should all be "easy listening"

Comment

• handsomefortune

iirc didn't serial apologist recently go to a gig featuring evan parker, louis moholo, john tchicai and tony marsh?

if it's a vortex recording, it'll be the same gig presumably.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
          iirc didn't serial apologist recently go to a gig featuring evan parker, louis moholo, john tchicai and tony marsh?

if it's a vortex recording, it'll be the same gig presumably.
          I was there for the Friday, hsf. The place was packed. First on was JT with LH, then EP with TM, then all four. Expect they'll take some from that night and from the Saturday.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Good Stuff! Even tho John Tchicai sounded like a kindly/elderly Danish primary scool teacher trying to get the kids to clap in 7/8.

I was really surprised how mellow this all now is? The Avant Garde bus pass generation? Tchicai and Evan now as the Zoot and Al Cohn of the former "terribles"? How about a record date for Concord?

WELL worth a re-listen! AGAIN, AGAIN.

BN.

BUT wasn't the sound of Dolphy in the review break spellbinding? NEVER Fails.

Comment

• handsomefortune

it was impro heaven ....absolutely. so relaxed sounding.

great programme, the avant guard bus pass crew should definitely be broadcast more. 5

for me, spoilt a teeeny bit, only by jez's graphic design/comic strip guest, on dolphy's facial profile. (in my not very humble opinion) his first pic (jo3website) is attrocious, being pc generated-looking; second, much better - but ultimately neither portrait had much to do with anything. i like watching people play music on film, but i'm not that interested in jazz + coffee table visuals. perhaps i'd much prefer to check out the pics in the jo3 photo archives. or, look at umpteen brilliant sleeves of the era, itself, on this very forum.

a woman contacted jo3 apparently specifically to say she didn't like wayne shorter, thought him cold!

i enjoyed hearing the guest from berlin, on the subject of dolphy.

marsh and tchicai playing in a church

John Tchicai (sax) and Tony Marsh (drums) play St Giles in the Fields church, London. 16th Feb 2008. Filmed by Helen Petts.

more jazz cats, doing 21st c 'impro', post cuts

Marie & Cooper have a very special treat for their fans today. They have been practicing ghoulishly on the keyboard piano just so they can perform for you. ...

contemporary polish jazz on jo3 in the new year apparently, and in between times, at 'the forge' 6th december....r3 seem to be sticking with a european thing, 'jazz library' translating portal ...which i've caught a snippet of, and he sounds intriguing.

happy halloween all.

Comment

Working...
              X