Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Geri Allen JL 6.xi.11

looks another unmissable prog

on NPR

wicki page
    Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 06-11-11, 12:46.
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

i found myself losing interest ....in the music alas ...

the elan depended on who else was on the track ..ms Allen's playing does not catch my ear ... just realised why having bought a couple of albums they do not get played ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      i found myself losing interest ....in the music alas ...

the elan depended on who else was on the track ..ms Allen's playing does not catch my ear ... just realised why having bought a couple of albums they do not get played ...
      Imv Geri Allen's best playing was in her early days - before she felt obligated to cover the history, as 'twere.. Her duet with Courtney Pine back at the 1989 Inside-Out Fest was one of the highlights of that year.

Comment

• handsomefortune

perhaps we too often forget that lots of people discover jazz via the performing arts; and also improvisation via dance etc. if it's a decent school, a pianist provides an accompaniment, though you'd be lucky to have the cash to hire geri allen on the piana for school practise sessions, 2 x weekly. so, i guess geri allen represents an icon for the US masses to aspire to. perhaps she therefore comes across as a jazz conservative in this sense? she nevertheless came alive, in remembering 'fizzing' betty carter, and as serial apologist points out, earlier in her career, when she was free of heritage duties and with great players:

Geri Allen --Piano;
        Dave Holland --Bass;
        Jack Dejohnette --Drums;
        Marcus Belgrave --Flugelhorn;
        Dwight Andrews --Saxophone;
        Clifton Anderson --Trombone.

Geri Allen - The Life of a SongGeri Allen --Piano; Dave Holland --Bass; Jack Dejohnette --Drums; Marcus Belgrave --Flugelhorn; Dwight Andrews --Saxophone; Cl...

well worth (a repeat) listen to this edition of 'jazz library' ..having snoozed through it on the radio + bonfire night bangers, the saturday before. listening to the radio late at night is hopeless imv, i might well snooze to a top fave..... and much of geri allen's music was mellow, rich, and perhaps far too snoozey ....fer me generally.

i have discovered that i'm more inclined to stay wide awake to media that annoys me intensely. the factor! what's more, i think that this is quite a common response, as a listener , and that many experience similar. (according to 'the sex olympics' film (linked below) exploiting audience tension, discomfort and agitation as an approach, can be intentional). scroll down to b/w film: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/

'jazz library' listening ideally isn't about being horizontal in a limbo, half world. but upright, google at the ready, pen & pizza leaflet recycled and ready. but essentially listened to via the radio.

this way, there's not that nagging 'will it, wont it'? as regards alyn and guests mutating at will, into a small rotating circle, without prior warning. plus, my radio sound is warm and mellow, and i find my pc speakers harsh in comparison.

this week's googletastic find for me, courtesy of 'jazz library' was betty carter, the 'grand prix queen' of superfast jazz scat. she is 'super queen', the 'fizz' described as she takes the stage, and her singing so fast was quite something.

this one's a dawdle in comparison.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Carter honed her scat singing ability while on tour with Lionel Hampton in the late 1940s. Hampton's wife Gladys gave her the nickname "Betty Bebop", a nickname she reportedly detested. In the 1950s Carter made recordings with King Pleasure and the Ray Bryant Trio. Her first solo LP, Out There, was released on the Peacock label in 1958

Her collaborators became a veritable musical school - what the New York Times called "jazz's best university: Betty Carter U. In 1993 Carter helped launch the Jazz Ahead program for young musicians at the Kennedy Center. She also devoted much of her time and energy in her last few decades touring colleges and grade-schools across the country.

for me, geri allen sounded a bit like macey grey's speaking voice and accent... . ? or vice versa.

my other best moments of geri allen's 'jazz library' appearance, was the tap dancing music - the last track, in particular, was phenominal. (i woke up fully for it ... only for 'jazz library' to promptly finish, and that jingle that starts 'going through the night' or whatever it's called. it's unfair, since it's actually a prog of pretty diverse classical music selections, but starts with a really hideous, 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest' style intro). i can't believe no one else has noticed this aspect of 'jazz library's new slot. of course, this has always been a feature of listening to 'jazz on 3' - as long as it's been broadcast late, on mondays. why is the juxtoposition of 'mad' jazz noises leading to classical hospital' apparently considered 'desireable' - and by whom?

Comment

Working...
        X