X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

RIP Abram Wilson

In case boardees were unaware, UK-based New Orleans trumpeter Abram Wilson died yesterday aged 38. He was currently touring his quartet project based on Philippa Schuyler's music, and also the septet with Peter King and Jean Toussaint, doing work inspired by folksongs of the world. IMHO a great talent, and sorely missed.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

indeed Alyn a sad loss and an interesting talent with much still to contribute to our uk scene
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Really shocked by this as I always considered Abram Wilson to having a similar role in this country as Wynton in the States albeit maybe a bit more adventurous. The music to "Ferris wheel" toured Southampton several years back and demonstrated his ability to blend blues and jazz into some infectious writing which was lapped up by the audience.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Not sure if this link will work...

Join us for House of Jazz! Tickets for our second instalment of House of Jazz on Friday March 22nd are now on sale. We now have some great group discount ticketing options available so make sure you grab yours quick! Our House of Jazz parties are set in unique and exciting venues, bringing together the very best artists for a

Yes it did. From his postings he wasn't well. I've always loved his witty, non-reverential approach to straight-ahead playing and ever-sunny disposition, and he could go pretty free when occasion demanded. A great gift from the birthplace, and a great loss to us over here.

RIP Abram.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

This is lovely - from everybody else too

This is a song written by Abram Wilson to help continue the benefit for the people of Haiti. It was performed at Pizza express on March 29, 2010 (live) with ...
          Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 10-06-12, 19:01.

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

Absolutely terrible news. I really liked him. He toured with Wycliff Gordon last year, who is my favourite player in the Lincoln Center crew.

RIP

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

Needless to say, if any of you have requests for Abram's work, then send them to JRR to help remember this fine musician

Comment

• PUSB
                • Jul 2011

Very sad news - "Ride" is an original and interesting album. I saw him once at St Georges Bristol and he put on a good performance.

Comment

Working...
                X