Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Esperanza Spalding CD ~ Radio Music Society

Wondered if anyone else had snapped up this record and were as perplexed as me? Having heard her live on two occasions I think she is a breath of fresh air and capable of attracting a new audience whilst offering a high contemporary version of jazz that compromises nothing to commerciality. Set aside the obvious glamour as I think she is a genuine talent and probably one of the most significant new figures to emerge in jazz over the last five years. Only an idiot would contest this view. If ever you want one young musician to succeed, it is Esperanza Spalding. I think this is why "Radio Music Society" is such a difficult one to judge.

Her album "Esperanza" was exceptional and demonstrated some gutsy writing and the kind of exuberance not really experience with jazz vocals since Tania Maria's best work in the 1980's. The new effort seems aimed at more air play but the melodies are not nearly so strong and her vocals steadfastly refusing to yield to any pop influences. There are moments where this record sounds like someone with Betty Carter's vocal style of refusing to compromise by singing the melody underpinned by Weather Report. Other tracks feature a big band yet eschews any traditions in this area. For me, Spalding is bravely setting her own agenda but the music is not catchy enough to be pop nor offers the potent and exciting blowing of "Esperanza." (Too pop for a jazz disc but way too spikey and abrasive for a popularist attempt.) Some of the tunes are quite knotty whereas a few eventually start to grate a little after a while. The cover of Shorter's "Endangered species" is pretty good but labours under some dodgy lyrics and the Stevie Wonder cover is great too but not quite as savvy as Gretchen parlato's version of the same tune. There are several notable names like Lionel Loeke and Jack DeJohnette in some of the line ups but they are pretty anonymous. Whilst a few horn players get to solo, Esperanza is the obvious star and this effort is entirely issued to demonstrate her considerable skills.

I've read some great reviews of this record yet, for me, it is a difficult CD to really love. quite as much as I did the earlier effort. I will be interested to hear how this material sounds like in a couple of weeks time.

Great Hairdo, and music very intriguing:

Official Online Store: http://bit.ly/xYb6ZGOrder Radio Music Society on iTunes & get exclusive bonus track! http://bzz.is/Esperanza_iTunesAmazon: http://amzn...

Jon Hendrix? As you say, music will grow on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
      Great Hairdo, and music very intriguing:

Official Online Store: http://bit.ly/xYb6ZGOrder Radio Music Society on iTunes & get exclusive bonus track! http://bzz.is/Esperanza_iTunesAmazon: http://amzn...

Jon Hendrix? As you say, music will grow on you.
      Throwing discarded stuff out of your car sets a baaaad example. Kids: don't do it!

Comment

.....don't get a speeding ticket!.....

Comment

.....don't get a speeding ticket!.....
          On my bike??? - no chance!

Comment

This is the King http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Cfx...eature=related

Comment

well it is nice [at least the clip is] and it takes me back a bit to Joni inter alia and that is the isuue it can take you pretty much anywhere ...mebbe it is not original enuff to catch one like but not buy is my vote Ian
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Calum

I've already got the disc. Not quite sure if she is quite a derivative as you suggest

This is perhaps the best track on the disc.

I didn't realise that there was a video with each track although HMV were offering an alterbative version which must have enclosed the DVD. There seems to be a lot of commercial weight behind this record yet the music doesn't seem to offer much concession to a non-jazz audience.

All in all, an ok album but not as great as I have hoped or expected. I still think she is a major talent.

Comment

"Lascia te! Lascia te, ogni speranza!"

The above is from "L' Inferno", from aural memory (Berio: Laborintus II). I think Dante was advising against buying the CD.

Comment

Seralist...the last issue I received of Downbeat Magazine, prior to my subscription running-out, featured Spaulding (w/Lovano) on the cover.

If this is the current 'face of jazz',

stop the world - I want to get off (supposed graffito inspiring musical by the same name).

Comment

Originally posted by charles t View Post
                      Seralist...the last issue I received of Downbeat Magazine, prior to my subscription running-out, featured Spaulding (w/Lovano) on the cover.

If this is the current 'face of jazz',

stop the world - I want to get off (supposed graffito inspiring musical by the same name).
                      Charles,

You are always incorrigeable in your support for new stuff from this side of The Pond. A recording to look out for in October coming will be keyboardsman Ivo Neame's stellar new Large Ensemble, which includes Jasper Hoiby on bass, Shabaka Hutchings bass clarinet, Jason Yarde alto, Jim Hart vibes. Saw 'em in New Cross on Tuesday and they made a strong impression on the assembled.

You keeping well?

bws

serial

Comment

I would place this in the Ray Charles catchment area. Ray Charles was my introduction to Afro-inspired music. Hit the Road Jack , At The Club, Halleluja I Love Her So!, the rhythms threw me into an outer orbit.

So I'm quite happy to listen to this, and leave Improv etc to those who know better.

Comment

I would place this in the Ray Charles catchment area. Ray Charles was my introduction to Afro-inspired music. Hit the Road Jack , At The Club, Halleluja I Love Her So!, the rhythms threw me into an outer orbit.

So I'm quite happy to listen to this, and leave Improv etc to those who know better.
                          It's pleasant enough, in a MOR rather than more-ish sort of way; the question is, does the CD represent Ms Spalding's main direction henceforth? If so she will upset all those who came away brimming with tears (for all the right reasons!) from her amazing self accompanying act at the S Bank last (?) year - some I talked to, for whom jazz had been unknown.

Comment

Serialist: Thank you for that. I have Spotified Ivo Neame in de past so will be on the lookout for your recommendation.

Speaking of Brit Jazz, came across bassist Jenni Molloy's take on Bach as a result of pulling off the ship's library shelf on a recent Alaskan cruise, a book about Bach and Frederich The Great...and...sought-out all things B A C H.

[Her Bach Reloaded reviewed here by BBC's Kevin LeGrande way back in March of 2010 just being digitized in the next four days. wAtCh oUt for those arms, tho!]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/jgwx

Comment

Originally posted by charles t View Post
                              Serialist: Thank you for that. I have Spotified Ivo Neame in de past so will be on the lookout for your recommendation.

Speaking of Brit Jazz, came across bassist Jenni Molloy's take on Bach as a result of pulling off the ship's library shelf on a recent Alaskan cruise, a book about Bach and Frederich The Great...and...sought-out all things B A C H.

[Her Bach Reloaded reviewed here by BBC's Kevin LeGrande way back in March of 2010 just being digitized in the next four days. wAtCh oUt for those arms, tho!]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/jgwx
                              Thanks Charles - 'll have to have a listen to those clips.

Good to see so many young women coming on the scene. Tori Freestone in Ivo's ensemble put an interestingly different complexion on the young maestro's quite complex charts.

Comment

Working...
                              X