X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles t
    • Nov 2010

" Thank You To John Coltrane " by Paul Dunmall & Tony Bianco

Have been a sucker for this duo ever since Utoma Trio (which includes Simon Picard, tenor) and this SLAM records release will be the fourth Dunmall/Bianco (a New Yorker) collaboration in my BritCore collection.

SLAM sells on site for 10.00 pounds, including post. Not bad.

• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by charles t View Post
    Have been a sucker for this duo ever since Utoma Trio (which includes Simon Picard, tenor) and this SLAM records release will be the fourth Dunmall/Bianco (a New Yorker) collaboration in my BritCore collection.

SLAM sells on site for 10.00 pounds, including post. Not bad.

http://www.slamproductions.net/menus...il&QItemID=288
    Thanks for the for Mr Dunmall, charles - who, for me, comes with guarantee every time.

Tony Bianco is an American, domiciled in this country now for a good decade, though I haven't seen him for a while now: a thoroughly nice, quiet individual who almost always appears lost in some world of his own, but comes across as never less than concentrated to the highest degree on the stand - arguably more reminiscent of the great, now sadly departed Rashied Ali, (with whom Paul never managed to secure the gig he went after while in the States a few years ago), but equally capable of rhythmic stuff. I would anticipate echoes of "Interstellar Space" from this recording - but perhaps one shouldn't anticipate.

As an aside, I once went to the British drummer John Marshall's house. John's upstairs studio contained his kit plus a large assortement of exotic percussion, but at the far end of the room sat another kit, covered over. "That was Rashied's kit on those last Coltrane recordings", John told me, "I bought it off him, and that's the kit you hear on my side [side 2] of Soft Machine 5". The one with the all-over black cover.

Comment

• charles t
      • Nov 2010

Thank you, so much, Serialist for those informative & elucidating comments. Seeing how you are DEFINITELY into late-period Trane's drummer - Rashield Ali - hopefully this clip of a 90's group, Prima Materia - will do it for you.

Despite the slightly geeky look to tenorist Louie Belogenis in the video, this man can B L O W - very reminiscent iof the tradition of Ayler...Trane.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by charles t View Post
        Thank you, so much, Serialist for those informative & elucidating comments. Seeing how you are DEFINITELY into late-period Trane's drummer - Rashield Ali - hopefully this clip of a 90's group, Prima Materia - will do it for you.

Despite the slightly geeky look to tenorist Louie Belogenis in the video, this man can B L O W - very reminiscent iof the tradition of Ayler...Trane.

Thanks for that clip, charles - hot stuff indeed!

Glancing around the many faces at yesterday's funeral for Lol Coxhill, I was thinking of the inner Coltranes that must surely - hopefully! - lurk behind many a geeky physiognomy. Maybe they're all biding their time beavering away in local bank branches and insurance companies, just... waiting for their moment.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• charles t
            • Nov 2010

...to fellow SOFTS

(you know who you are)

Comment

Working...
            X