• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    In my humble opinion, surveys find the answers they are seeking.
    Without wishing to cause any offence , even in a research world of such unimpeachable integrity as academe, there are those who start off with a theory they want to prove. The vast welter of information is like a tag cloud: the 'significant' facts are huge, the 'insignificant' are disregarded and the result is QED.

And I think that Radio 3 has to provide a quality service that appeals to the people who know jazz.
    I agree - and will say more on the other thread. But for some that's a definition of 'elitism (=bad)', whether it's jazz, classical or any other type of music.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ivor Cockburn

May I just clarify that I wasn't being critical of the idea of this survey.
      Ok and you make some interesting points but your comment about surveys returning the answer they want is not fair in this instance. The survey is asking for your views. Not to tick boxes. And to complain that the methodology is flawed, maybe it is, but its the only game in town. One things for sure, lack of response will be interpreted in a way that will be negative for Jazz.
      To Alyn's comments about JSLs reports, I find his attitude thoroughly depressing. He can make his views known by writing it all in the survey. And the comments he refers to were made in 2010. So did JSL get it so wrong, do we all enjoy greener pasteurs now? Heck no, we even lost the messageboard.

But ask yourselves this perhaps: Imagine you are in the position of trying to understand what this Genre of music could do with, with the consequence of significant funding (or not) resting on the result, and you come across these forums, what do you think might be the impression?

I ask that seriously. I'm not saying theres anything wrong here, but it might be an interesting exercise to understand better how the world of jazz (or some aspect of it) might be percieved.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Ivor Cockburn View Post
        Ok and you make some interesting points but your comment about surveys returning the answer they want is not fair in this instance. The survey is asking for your views. Not to tick boxes. And to complain that the methodology is flawed, maybe it is, but its the only game in town. One things for sure, lack of response will be interpreted in a way that will be negative for Jazz.
        To Alyn's comments about JSLs reports, I find his attitude thoroughly depressing. He can make his views known by writing it all in the survey. And the comments he refers to were made in 2010. So did JSL get it so wrong, do we all enjoy greener pasteurs now? Heck no, we even lost the messageboard.

But ask yourselves this perhaps: Imagine you are in the position of trying to understand what this Genre of music could do with, with the consequence of significant funding (or not) resting on the result, and you come across these forums, what do you think might be the impression?

I ask that seriously. I'm not saying theres anything wrong here, but it might be an interesting exercise to understand better how the world of jazz (or some aspect of it) might be percieved.
        I appreciate your genuine commitment. It is easy for us to sit here and moan etc. Too easy. While I started a little bluntly, I hope and try to be constructive. I wonder if there has been any consultation on the methodology and whether there is still scope for it?

Comment

• Ivor Cockburn

I wonder if there has been any consultation on the methodology and whether there is still scope for it?
          As far as I know they (ultimately they being those with the purse strings) are asking for your views!

I don't know what the methodology is in asking for peoples views.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

the great American song book is a historical relic ergo jazz ....

dumb argument don't think Ornette ever played My Funny Lush
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
            X