X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon3 24.i.11

Louis Moholo 70th birthday celebration

Last November Louis celebrated his 70th birthday with a special concert at the Purcell Room in London – and you can hear it on tonight’s programme. Split into two halves, the night began with an intimate duo between old friends as Louis and pianist Keith Tippett took to the stage. In a set of high energy improv the pair showcased an expansive understanding of each other’s playing developed over their 40-year musical relationship.

In the break between sets you can hear an interview I recorded with Louis in front of a live audience at the Southbank Centre. Covering the pivotal points in Louis’ career he talks candidly about his experiences under apartheid and as the last-standing member of a generation of exiled musicians that have made such an impact on the jazz scene here in England. I have to say I was very moved by Louis’ powerful story communicated in such a gentle and at times funny way.

The second half of the concert begins shortly after midnight and features a group put together specifically for the event called Seven for 70, performing a range of songs and compositions from Louis’ back-catalogue including Creole ballads and wild swinging tunes. Joining Louis on stage are Ntshuks Bonga & Jason Yarde on saxophone, Francine Luce on vocals, trumpeter Henry Lowther, John Edwards on bass and pianist Alex Hawkins . It’s a 70th birthday party to remember for a man whose life and work deserves to be celebrated.
    from the newsletter ....
    Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 24-01-11, 11:29. Reason: omission
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

OPPPS Calum - beat me to it!

Remove mine if you can?

BN.

Comment

nah - stick it to em twice Louis is more than worth it!

..but let's use Bluesnix thread for comments, i am closing this one

aka CdJ
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
      X