X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles t
    • Nov 2010

Keith Jarrett / IS / Somewhere

Just when this OCS (Ol' Cynical Self) - snickering while perusing ECM's info of yet

another Keith Jarrett Trio release - Somewhere - Grabbing same...expecting to

actually hear Keith luxuriating in a sonic bed resultant from all those...greenbacks...Lady Godiva fiver's (as in, 'can you spare a Lady?'), liras... paying same to hear Mr. Personality

when

title tune...19 minutes worth...transports this hearer back to those ethereal sounds of Koln.

(a taste from the CD)

• charles t
    • Nov 2010

said YouTuber's visual is a classic example of Dr. Ashley Montague's premise:

Man's Unfilled Desire To Be Weaned!

Comment

• clive heath

.... but not yet...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

............. not yet ................
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Thanks for keeping us all... abreast of Mr Jarrett's offerings, Chas.

Comment

• charles t
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Thanks for keeping us all... abreast of Mr Jarrett's offerings, Chas.
            Veritably, it reeketh of milk of human kindness, Serialist.

Veritably.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

hi Chas, how is Cal weather? ... we are having a heatwave that would not measure up to spring in the southwest ....

i did not know this
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• charles t
                • Nov 2010

Calum: God bless The Guardian...Speaking of Kerouac, I actually stayed up at John Montgomery's pad across The Golden Gate Bridge...John, of course, was the character Morley in Dharma Bums. He had intervened on my behalf for my video-taping a J.K. (based) play in SF (long story...veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long).

In my efforts to pull on the shirtsleeves of them that were left of the Beat Generation, i came across some works edited by one John McVey Montgomery, who (according to Ann Charters) appeared as the cameo character Henry Morley in Jack Kerouac‘s book The Dharma Bums. Morley was the clownish character who rambled through […]

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Interesting to hear this version of "Solar" - Jarrett recorded another on the "Deer head Inn" album.

Several years ago I sat in with a band and the guitarist called "Solar" which suited me as it is simply a blues. Unfortunately, he knew it inside out and the bars flew by so fast that it was impossible to follow the structure of the tune. The fact was made worse by a drummer who couldn't keep time and kept on accenting the wrong beat! I don't think i've ever been as lost when playing with a band but "Solar" is deceptive as the divisions between the harmonies are not quite a distinctive as some more obvious blues. Better off sticking with Aebersold!

Comment

• charles t
                    • Nov 2010

Pianist Matthew Shipp's take on Somewhere.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

...thanks for that Chas .... neat website .... Mr Shipp sure takes him down [i enjoed vj ayer's review of BoC]

the blog from Stedman on Montgomery and Kerouac is priceless

Comment

• charles t
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                        ...thanks for that Chas .... neat website .... Mr Shipp sure takes him down [i enjoed vj ayer's review of BoC]

Yea, Calum...you can hear the Black vs White undertone going on. BoC escapeth me.

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

Yes I've read more favourable reviews .......as a luke warm KJ fan I feel very much put in my place.......

Comment

• burning dog
                            • Dec 2010

I'm a Jarrett sceptic and allergic to the Koln Concert etc. but Shipps blog is way OTT, not the review but the general tone. Jarrett can swing as well as any but you don't hear it often enough. My favourite trio is the Deer head Inn with Paul Motian on drums. Dropped the "funky" drummer... Ahem..

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                              I'm a Jarrett sceptic and allergic to the Koln Concert etc. but Shipps blog is way OTT, not the review but the general tone. Jarrett can swing as well as any but you don't hear it often enough. My favourite trio is the Deer head Inn with Paul Motian on drums. Dropped the "funky" drummer... Ahem..
                              I love the Koln Concert a real Desert Island Disc .......perhaps we should go in for some heavy verbal abuse.....

Comment

Working...
                              X