X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

S-A,

I don't think you could really call Azimuth anything other than jazz but I think the recordings were pretty typical of the mind-set in the late 70's / early 80's when the American model sounded like it had lost it's way amongst the aural glue of Fusion and when the "mainstream" seemed to involve musicians from an earlier generation continuing to produce great jazz (in a variety of styles ) in line with the tenets of their youth. I'm sympathetic to your argument to a degree and around this time ECM was at it's zenith producing jazz (and other music) that really mattered. I seem to recall a chapter in mike Zwerin's "Close enough for jazz" where he castigated the current American scene of the time and pointed out the the 1980's would seem to be dominated by labels such as ECM who could produce a wholly new esthetic to jazz.

However, that was thirty years ago and I think that jazz has woken up since the mid-80's and the baton has been picked up from where it was dropped in the late 60's. Nowadays, it is ECM that is beginning to sound very much behind the curve and I suppose that the new artists on the label over the last few years like Craig Taborn, Chris Potter, Aaron Parks and Tom Berne seem to reflect the fact that the "new" jazz that matters is now back with the US.

Curious to see Carla Bley thrown back in to the mix here as I grew up believing she was part of the avant garde movement in the 60's and she was one of the stepping stones for me in to getting in to more contemporary jazz as a teenager in the mid 80's. At that time, her music sounded punchy and great fun but I now would consider her music to be an idiosyncratic version of the jazz mainstream. She is a bit of a heroine for me and I have a number of her records in my collection. Bley has an uncanny knack of writing interesting and extremely catchy tunes . You can download a few of her leadsheets from her entertaining website and this is fascinating as the music is not too far removed from the kind of jazz you find in the Real Book. It doesn't have the complicated harmonic substitutions of other contemporary composers like Harrell, Douglas, Metheny or Binney whose music I gave attempted to play. Carla Bley is a maverick but perhaps not quite as radical in some respects as the Azimuth stuff. However, I think there is still alot of church music / gospel in Bley's writing which, for me, squarely nails it to the great jazz tradition.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I've learned, from this thread and much more, that jazz means as many things to as there are people who profess to love it.
      There's a lot of Cultural Theory (ahem) that it's not the author who really composes tbe piece but the audience/consumer, who gives it a meaning, changing over time. A post modern rejection of any idea of "timeless". Milton today means whatever the reader wants it to, or even nothing. At this point I get my machine gun. Art as comodity, Duane Eddy as Debussy.

BUT, we do bring to music a lot of wider opinions, life and attitudes that often mask and cloak our perception. Subjective et Unavoidable.

I will now get back to my Elvis box set. (non fat)

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        There's a lot of Cultural Theory (ahem) that it's not the author who really composes tbe piece but the audience/consumer, who gives it a meaning, changing over time. A post modern rejection of any idea of "timeless". Milton today means whatever the reader wants it to, or even nothing. At this point I get my machine gun. Art as comodity, Duane Eddy as Debussy.

BUT, we do bring to music a lot of wider opinions, life and attitudes that often mask and cloak our perception. Subjective et Unavoidable.

I will now get back to my Elvis box set. (non fat)

BN.
        This "Cultural Theory" is precisely what is wrong with a lot of critical analysis. Granted that you can still learn a lot from artists of the past (my piano teacher used to argue that Shakespeare and Bach told you all you wanted to know about life / the human condition" but it is impossible to really understand someone without putting them in their historical background - precisely the point made in the book that I am reading at the moment about Robert Johnson and the blues called "Escaping the delta" by Elijah Ward. (Hugely recommended as a book about music and history.) Amazing to learn that the country blues artists were largely requested to record only blues numbers and that this has totally distorted the fact that they would performe a vastly different repertoire so that 70 years on, we have a totally biased impression about what these musicians actually played.

Strange to read the reference to Elvis as I always had you down as a fan of Shakey...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
          This "Cultural Theory" is precisely what is wrong with a lot of critical analysis. Granted that you can still learn a lot from artists of the past (my piano teacher used to argue that Shakespeare and Bach told you all you wanted to know about life / the human condition" but it is impossible to really understand someone without putting them in their historical background - precisely the point made in the book that I am reading at the moment about Robert Johnson and the blues called "Escaping the delta" by Elijah Ward. (Hugely recommended as a book about music and history.) Amazing to learn that the country blues artists were largely requested to record only blues numbers and that this has totally distorted the fact that they would performe a vastly different repertoire so that 70 years on, we have a totally biased impression about what these musicians actually played.

Strange to read the reference to Elvis as I always had you down as a fan of Shakey...

Tha'ts a very good book. Btw, Shakey had a very good guitarist, Miickey Gee (RIP) who could play just about anything. A big Django nut.

BN.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
            • Dec 2010

Some kind person has posted a vinyl rip of the entire Azimuth '85 LP - well worth a listen:

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Tenor Freak
              • Dec 2010

My favourite from this LP is "February Daze" (skip to 25:00 on the video):

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                My favourite from this LP is "February Daze" (skip to 25:00 on the video):

This was the track introduced by Charles Fox when he introduced this album on his programme back then.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                  • Dec 2010

As a postscript I should mention Norma Winstone's LP Somewhere Called Home from 1987.

It's a set of standards and compositions by JT and KW, played by a trio again but substituting Tony Coe for Kenny Wheeler - to great effect, IMO, although he spends most of his time on clarinet rather than tenor. I guess it presages the recent crop of ECM LPs she has released avec piano and reeds but still, this is the kind of stuff that makes me proud to be British - in the sense that our islands can produce material such as this - easily the greatest version of this old standard, anywhere:

Comment

Working...
                  X