No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laura Jurd on JLU today

JLU

new talent to me; prog also features a crop of recent releases ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Big feature on her in yesterdays Guardyan. She certainly has chops. Good luck to her. Anyone see her live?

BN.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Big feature on her in yesterdays Guardyan. She certainly has chops. Good luck to her. Anyone see her live?

BN.
      About a year ago - I came away before the end. Maybe it was just me that day, finding her cold, but I just didn't enjoy her playing or materials, and the above clip doesn't change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        About a year ago - I came away before the end. Maybe it was just me that day, finding her cold, but I just didn't enjoy her playing or materials, and the above clip doesn't change my mind.
        There are a couple of clips on Utube with her playing Mingus and Monk in what I take to be student bands a year or so back. They are nothing too special but I thought she was strong in a kind of Don Ellis Booker Little style.

Good luck to her.

BN.

Comment

There are a couple of clips on Utube with her playing Mingus and Monk in what I take to be student bands a year or so back. They are nothing too special but I thought she was strong in a kind of Don Ellis Booker Little style.

Good luck to her.

BN.
          Probably this session, where she was given (or allowed herself) more chance to expand than in the (to me) disingenuous constraints of the stuff she appears to be doing as of now.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Keep up chaps, anyone would think you hadn't heard her in sparkling form with Phil Meadows on JRR on August 10th...

Comment

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
              Keep up chaps, anyone would think you hadn't heard her in sparkling form with Phil Meadows on JRR on August 10th...
              Well, I will interrogate the C90s then!

BTW ,on todays JRR, didn't Dinah Washington play the vibes chorus along with Terry Gibbs at Newport? I seem to remember.

BN.

Comment

Indeed she did, though her bings and bongs are not quite in the same class as Terry's...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YplMZpdKq-g

Comment

The Laura Jurd clip reminded me of the kind of stuff Dave Douglas records. I'd never heard of her either but was surprised to see that she comes from Alton like Gwyneth Herbert. It seems odd that Alton should produce jazz musicians as it is really just a small maket town. It does seem to have some pretty good colleges and I suppose that this probably helps a great deal. She is playing at a pub in Southampton in a few weeks time and, work and football permitting, I might go along for a listen.

Comment

Nowt wrong with Alton, Ian. I lived nearby (in Jane Austen's village, Chawton) for 10 years and I'd say the area had the healthiest local jazz scene I've ever encountered. Lots of local clubs and interest in the villages and towns round about, and now the College there has a first rate jazz course for 6th formers, a good big band, and workshops with the likes of John Taylor.

Comment

Well, I will interrogate the C90s then!

BTW ,on todays JRR, didn't Dinah Washington play the vibes chorus along with Terry Gibbs at Newport? I seem to remember.

BN.
                      Talking of trumpet players. Ive been watching/listening to a shed load of Roy Hargrove's quintet lately. Hugely impressed. Maybe jazz isnt dead after all....oh, be quiet.

ALSO, there's a simply stunning version of Sophisticated Lady by Oscar Pettiford and Lucky Thompson from c.1959 on Utube. A mass of German Radio tapes unearthed and released. Too late for a JRR request....but later....always later...

BN.

Comment

cor!

downloaded already!

amazon mp3 it's a steal
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                          cor!

downloaded already!

amazon mp3 it's a steal
                          What I think is also so special about that is Lucky's soprano tone. So clean and pure. And this was around the tme Coltrane first took it up. I guess Thompson owed something to Johnny Hodges here but its just glorious.

BN.

Comment

Working...
                          X