Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

serialist jazz

review by Fordham

whirlwind records festival at Kings Place

Whirlwind is the label started by bassist Michael Janisch
    Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 27-09-13, 18:44. Reason: url link to graun
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Interesting how the drums keep a sense of continuity, here. Do we prefer this:

Mobtown Modern: Hard as F#@!Contemporary Museum, Baltimore, MDDecember 15, 2008(featuring video by Guy Werner)

to this:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Mobtown Modern: Hard as F#@!Contemporary Museum, Baltimore, MDDecember 15, 2008(featuring video by Guy Werner)

to this:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

?
      Hmm. I preferred the second, but it may be that the first of those two clips conditioned my listening to hearing a piece in 4/4 with passing modulations into other meters.

This Fordham grauniad article link seems to work:

This attempt to imagine what Webern's 12-tone serial music would sound like if played by a jazz band is no opportunistic cross-genre grab, writes John Fordham

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Not actually a serial piece in this blast from the past - as far as I know, sadly the only surviving clip of a band that once won a GLAA award of the year:

A straight transcription from what my ears tell me.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

thanks for putting the link up S_A
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
            • Nov 2010

Nothing new about serialism in jazz - Franz Koglmann has been exploring this for years. Doesn't seem to have made it to Youtube yet, but you ann hear samples of the Pipetet here: http://www.allmusic.com/album/schlaf...e-mw0000123054

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Stockhausen may be a more fruitful source of serialism for Jazz. From my limited knowledge of serialism, Stockhausen's version is more accessible than that of the original Second Viennese school. I believe Stockhausen may have played in a Jazz band at some stage:

"His influence was also felt in the world of progressive jazz. Miles Davis, whose later albums make extensive use of studio techniques, paid homage to Stockhausen’s influence in his works. In his autobiography, he wrote that “I had always written in a circular way and through Stockhausen I could see that I didn’t want to ever play again from eight bars to eight bars, because I never end songs: they just keep going on. Through Stockhausen I understood music as a process of elimination and addition.” The collage-like quality of music from the ‘Electric Miles’ period was said to stem directly from his reaction to Hymnen and several of Stockhausen’s non-electronic pieces.
              Throughout the ’70s, a string of artists including Brian Eno, Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa would acknowledge Stockhausen’s influence on their increasingly innovative work. By this time, of course, the liberation of electronic music was well under way; the increasing availability of commercial synthesizers and advanced recording equipment helped to deliver electronic musical creativity to a much wider constituency — who wasted no time in taking it in more readily accessible directions."

From http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...tockhausen.htm

Wild guess: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V53-7RlbbLo ?????????????
              Last edited by Quarky; 01-10-13, 20:53.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

The mention of "serial jazz" immediately brought to my mind the name of the Dutch composer/arranger Tom Dissevelt, who was making jazz-inflected electronic music at the beginning of the 1960s, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwFSJJwT8_o - he also wrote 12-tone jazz charts in the late 1950s, some of which are currently in the process of being reconstructed from the parts so they can be played again.

Some of Stockhausen's music shows very clearly the extent to which his harmonic thinking was affected by his experiences as a jazz pianist and his liking for the voicings and sonorities of 1940s big-band music, as you can hear especially in the orchestral piece Inori from 1974 but not only there.

But that Sound On Sound article is quite inaccurate in many ways...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  The mention of "serial jazz" immediately brought to my mind the name of the Dutch composer/arranger Tom Dissevelt, who was making jazz-inflected electronic music at the beginning of the 1960s, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwFSJJwT8_o
                  Tom's name is completely new to me, so many thanks for posting this, Richard.

Comment

• Quarky
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

to this:

?
                    We prefer both. Were both pieces scored, or was there some degree of improvisation?

Interesting Monday's Jon3, where a strictly scored minimalist type piece was praised highly by Jezz and an NY critic.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                      We prefer both. Were both pieces scored, or was there some degree of improvisation?

They're the same piece - but in the first, the drummer added a "plug-in" throughout (presumably to help the non-professional players keep time). It sometimes irritates me, sometimes makes me smile - but I find it also makes me hear the Music more "tonally" than the original.

Comment

• Quarky
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                        whirlwind records festival at Kings Place

Whirlwind is the label started by bassist Michael Janisch
                        I gather John O Gallagher has written a book on 12 tone improvisation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBYziHLcNJ8

Might be useful for learning about serialism?

Not yer conventional Jazz musician!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                          I gather John O Gallagher has written a book on 12 tone improvisation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBYziHLcNJ8

Might be useful for learning about serialism?

Not yer conventional Jazz musician!

(Isn't a "conventional Jazz Musician" one who has rather missed the point?)

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

(Isn't a "conventional Jazz Musician" one who has rather missed the point?)
                            nah just plays in the Stan Kenton Orchestra .........................

Comment

Working...
                            X