No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    ... Can’t be doing with these titchy mini things
    ... you've moved on from the wireless to one of those nice large radiograms, discreetly concealed by faux-mahogany doors?

Comment

Radio 3 seems, at least between 06.30 and 12.00 and 17.00 to 19.30, to be adapting to a world in which many people tune in, listen for a while, sometimes quite a short while, and then turn their attention elsewhere. I would describe this as a 'passive' approach. Although I'm no statistics expert, I'm wondering whether Radio 3 is attracting the same number of listeners - something under 2 million a week? - who are listening for shorter periods. If such 'passive' adaptation is the aim, then I guess that could be considered a success. If the aim is to attract the attention of new listeners and then encourage them to stay listening for longer and try more substantial fare, possibly at other times of the day, while retaining the loyalty of established - older? - listeners, then I don't think it's succeeding.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        Radio 3 seems, at least between 06.30 and 12.00 and 17.00 to 19.30, to be adapting to a world in which many people tune in, listen for a while, sometimes quite a short while, and then turn their attention elsewhere. I would describe this as a 'passive' approach. Although I'm no statistics expert, I'm wondering whether Radio 3 is attracting the same number of listeners - something under 2 million a week? - who are listening for shorter periods. If such 'passive' adaptation is the aim, then I guess that could be considered a success. If the aim is to attract the attention of new listeners and then encourage them to stay listening for longer and try more substantial fare, possibly at other times of the day, while retaining the loyalty of established - older? - listeners, then I don't think it's succeeding.
        What a shame, then, that the sorts of composers and music Radio 3 was partly set up to promulgate to and to enlighten the philistine nation didn't have the foresight to compose music to cater for such pop-in, pop-out listeners.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... you've moved on from the wireless to one of those nice large radiograms, discreetly concealed by faux-mahogany doors?

No, blooming iPhone. Takes all the fun out of posting
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            What a shame, then, that the sorts of composers and music Radio 3 was partly set up to promulgate to and to enlighten the philistine nation didn't have the foresight to compose music to cater for such pop-in, pop-out listeners.

And how insultingly demeaning is that to both composers and US!

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Yep, 5m a week.

But things like Youtube hits for the show are really significant, and R1 is still a very powerful voice , and leader in its field.
              As a comparison I would think that viewing figures for the evening news on the BBC are well down on their peak, but I'm pretty certain it is where the polticians most value getting their message, because all the other news sources will follow.

Of course new , much more diverse opportunities to access music are greatly to be welcomed,( as GG says)but the BBC still has enormous influence, ( and revenue) and it has a responsibility to use them well, and not just rely on other channels to fulfill requirements for the less mainstream.
              Radio 1 is still the most popular station among younger listeners, but has recently been overtaken by Heart among the over-25s.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                Radio 1 is still the most popular station among younger listeners, but has recently been overtaken by Heart among the over-25s.
                R1 specifically targets a very young audience ( 15-29), which was the one I had in mind, so it is the market leader in two thirds of its target market, as well as having huge reach via Youtube etc.

Interesting article from a few years ago.

Ben Cardew: Station adopts strategy of ‘listen, watch, share’ as it battles to stay relevant to an audience that has shifted to social media
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Purnell's speech to EBU on Tuesday:

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

(Mainly puff with escape routes if challenged on anything … )

Comment

Working...
                  X