Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

France Musique

Hello! A shout out for the fabulous streaming channels on France Musique. I listen to 'Classic Plus' and 'La Baroque'. Their programming is varied and learned, in that they feature many classic recordings of interesting repertoire and new releases. I've discovered so many new performances and new music I find it hard to keep track. Highly recommended if you want a stream of music without interruptions. BBC should consider something similar.

Totally agree about France Musique. I've been listening to Classique Plus for several months, and it's brilliant. The only problem is that there are no announcements, so to follow the schedule, it's necessary to go to their web site (I have an internet radio receiver, and usually listen via that).

This morning, for some reason, they've been doing a mini-festival of British music: Bax Tintagel; Elgar cello concerto; Britten Hymn to St. Cecilia; VW 8 (haven't heard that for ages); Walton violin concerto; VW violin sonata; Britten variations on a theme of Frank Bridge: Bridge phantasie quartet. Radio 3, hang your head in shame!

Comment

........yes a Radio 3 meets Max Headroom compromise would suit me fine 90% of the time (great use of AI)....so how does such a internet outfit without adverts make it's money??
      bong ching

Comment

From Wiki:

The Radio France group is 100% owned by the French State. Nearly 80% of Radio France's funding comes from Television licence, the remaining 20% comes from own resources, mainly from advertising and diversification activities developed by Radio France.

France Musique is part of the Radio France group

Comment

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
          From Wiki:

The Radio France group is 100% owned by the French State. Nearly 80% of Radio France's funding comes from Television licence, the remaining 20% comes from own resources, mainly from advertising and diversification activities developed by Radio France.

France Musique is part of the Radio France group
          thank you.

France has a notion of a mission civilisatrice totally alien to British political thinking

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            France has a notion of a mission civilisatrice totally alien to British political thinking
            I think they (we) just call it something else. Like elitism.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

no, it's not that at all. It is a preparedness to fund stuff that fulfils a French notion of civilization (especially if the venn diagram approximates to a notion of French grandeur... ) that the British political class just don't get at all. I have sat in on meetings between the French Ministry of Culture and the UK equivalent, and the non-meeting of minds was remarkable. The British side couldn't understand the figures the French side quoted for cultural funding (at various national, regional, local levels) because the French figures were often ten times our equivalent.

Comment

I may be wrong but I thought that 'mission civilisatrice' is linked to the French justification for colonialsism rather than something more cultural. It may have two meanings, I will investigate.

Comment

So there is this...

Mission civilisatrice — Wikipédia (wikipedia.org)

Can't as yet find anything relating to 'broadening cultural horizons'.

And it would help of course if I could spell 'colonialism'...

Comment

Originally posted by kindofblue View Post

I may be wrong but I thought that 'mission civilisatrice' is linked to the French justification for colonialsism rather than something more cultural. It may have two meanings, .
                    Wikipedia agrees with you.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I may be wrong but I thought that 'mission civilisatrice' is linked to the French justification for colonialism rather than something more cultural. It may have two meanings, I will investigate.
                      you are right that the term mission civilisatrice is/was used as the justification for France's colonial projects. But I think it can also be applied to how the French regard culture (their culture) as something to be defended and promoted - in a way that is different from how Britain regards the function of culture. And that is the sense in which I am using it here.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

you are right that the term mission civilisatrice is/was used as the justification for France's colonial projects. But I think it can also be applied to how the French regard culture (their culture) as something to be defended and promoted - in a way that is different from how Britain regards the function of culture. And that is the sense in which I am using it here.

Thanks vinteuil, that all makes sense. Not so very different from the BBC charter way of thinking.

Comment

Not so very different from the BBC charter way of thinking.
                          Though less in the way in which it's applied, perhaps?

Comment

Though less in the way in which it's applied, perhaps?
                            Certainly on R3, sadly. I did though tune in to R4 the other day and came in half way through a programme on astrophysics and references to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. Now you're talking!

Comment

After a 1000 years of peace, Its about time the French attempted a cultural invasion with programmes in English for the culturally hungry and disaffected R3 audience. Sadly 'O' level French doesn't cut it for this listener at least.

Comment

Working...
                              X