Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arte TV

Not sure the extent to which Arte TV is available in the UK (I’m in France as I type so can’t be sure but I think that it’s streaming-friendly across La Manche) but it’s a source for some fine concerts, as well as some well made and interesting documentaries. Currently much enjoying Beethoven played by Alexandre Tharaud with Nathalie Stutzmann on the podium.

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    Not sure the extent to which Arte TV is available in the UK (I’m in France as I type so can’t be sure but I think that it’s streaming-friendly across La Manche) but it’s a source for some fine concerts, as well as some well made and interesting documentaries. Currently much enjoying Beethoven played by Alexandre Tharaud with Nathalie Stutzmann on the podium.
    Many thanks - I've just had a first peek at what's on offer, and will certainly investigate further!

Comment

It looks as if 'a selection' of programmes is available at

Magazine shows, concerts, documentaries, and more: the European culture channel's programmes available to stream free of charge on arte.tv.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

The Stutzmann/Tharaud recital on this page:

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

My wife is German and for many years we have had a satellite dish which enables us to receive all the main German channels free-to air in excellent HD quality. No further cost after initial outlay for dish and receiver. Arte is not the only channel with arts/cultural programming, also the joint German/Austrian/Swiss channel 3Sat and German regional channels.

ARD have a useful site which shows what cultural programming is available on a daily basis. Eg on Sunday arte has Joana Mallwitz conducting the Konzerthausorchester Berlin. https://programm.ard.de/TV/Themensch...87244001324730

Comment

Do we need to change the subforum title to include TV, or am I missing something here?

Comment

It’s available if you download the Arte app onto firestick mobile smart tv etc .

Comment

When I've watched concerts on Arte in the past, I've noticed that the choice of classical concerts and operas available for streaming in the UK was often much less than the rest of Europe.

One way round this was to change language in the App from English to French or German, and suddenly the choice of material was much better.
                "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                  When I've watched concerts on Arte in the past, I've noticed that the choice of classical concerts and operas available for streaming in the UK was often much less than the rest of Europe.

One way round this was to change language in the App from English to French or German, and suddenly the choice of material was much better.
                  That's a very useful tip - many thanks! I've been watching a concert with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Comment

OK, so still not Internet Radio but there is currently on Arte a rather fine EuroArts recording from 2004 of Maurizio Pollini doing LvB PC 4 in Lucerne with the blessed Claudio and the Mahler CO, supplemented by some pretty starry musicians. A joy.

Comment

Working...
                    X