Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio Swiss Classical

On my Logitech Squeezebox Touch streaming device I can access classical stations by popularity. Sandwiched between the most popular (Classic FM) and the third most popular (BBC Radio 3) is Radio Swiss Classic. So, as Classic FM and BBC Radio 3 frequently disappoint, I thought I would give Radio Swiss Classic a try. It's wonderful! It gets round the main faults of Classic FM and Radio 3, e.g:

* no news
    * no celebs
    * no promos
    * no waffle
    * no silly games
    * no phone ins
    * no adverts
    * no tedious chat at all - we simply get the names of the piece, composer, and performers. So, even though it's in German, I get exactly what I want. This is a much better experience than R3 and CFM!

Their FAQ discusses their playlist philosophy, and is worth a read to see if the station might suit you as well as it suits me:

Mal = content?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

There are 3 RSCs on iTunes internet radio, in French, Italian and German. All currently playing different music.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        There are 3 RSCs on iTunes internet radio, in French, Italian and German. All currently playing different music.
        I didn't realise that the three were different; I assumed they simply had different continuity announcers.
        I listen a lot (well, have on as 'background', I suppose) to the Italian one.
        And on my Sonos control (smartphone or iPad) the composer and piece are displayed too.
        Joseph Martin Kraus Sinfonia in do maggiore as I type.
        Last edited by Pulcinella; 15-01-17, 09:13. Reason: Missing closing quotation mark added!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          I didn't realise that the three were different; I assumed they simply had different continuity announcers.
          I listen a lot (well, have on as 'background, I suppose) to the Italian one.
          And on my Sonos control (smartphone or iPad) the composer and piece are displayed too.
          Joseph Martin Kraus Sinfonia in do maggiore as I type.
          Yes, they are all playing Kraus at the moment - but I swear they weren’t quarter of an hour ago!!!

Comment

Update: The Swiss one is playing Korngold’s violin concerto and the other two Kraus. Weird.

EDIT: They’re all on Korngold, now. It’s obviously a streaming/digital delay thingy. As you were.

Comment

Update: The Swiss one is playing Korngold’s violin concerto and the other two Kraus. Weird.

EDIT: They’re all on Korngold, now. It’s obviously a streaming/digital delay thingy. As you were.
              Did I blink? The Korngold is not that short is it?
              Cimarosa Clarinet concerto on Italian one now.
              (Which 'Swiss' did you mean in post 6, Beefy, not that it really matters!)

Comment

Did I blink? The Korngold is not that short is it?
                Cimarosa Clarinet concerto on Italian one now.
                They only played the middle movement of the Korngold.

(Which 'Swiss' did you mean in post 6, Beefy, not that it really matters!)
                Dunno, but I think she was speaking Swiss with a French accent

If you’ve been on this forum for any length of time, you’d know I’m best ignored on these matters!

Comment

They only played the middle movement of the Korngold.
                  Ah! I was out of the room for a while, so that explains it!

But it is a point worth making to Mal: they do not always play the complete piece.

Comment

Ah! I was out of the room for a while, so that explains it!

But it is a point worth making to Mal: they do not always play the complete piece.
                    They play a piece of the complete thing. A bit like wot Classic FM does. The sound quality was good though, IMV.

Comment

It sounds like a station for people who really would like to have Through the Night for 24 hours. And some of the stated 'philosophy' seems to be exactly what some listeners complain of with Radio 3 (shorter, lively pieces in the early morning, single movements, regular repeats). And nothing 'live'. This was ever the the problem: people may agree that Radio 3 is disappointing/going to the dogs; but as soon as they start explaining what they don't like they find they're hardly in agreement with each other about anything.

Radio has become the default background to many/most people's lives - and they want a service that provides just that without the irritations - a background to keep them company while they do something else. For others, let all the other stations and music sources be 'background' and keep one station for foreground listening (without the irritations). Make it difficult - and let those who find that off-putting be put off.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

#1; I wouldn't say that Radio 3 frequently disappoints. There are quite a few good programmes that have been broadcast especially recently. For example two concerts, last Sunday and Monday, which are worthy of a mention.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          For others, let all the other stations and music sources be 'background' and keep one station for foreground listening (without the irritations). Make it difficult - and let those who find that off-putting be put off.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I've always been put off trying them as they are well down the bitrate list at a measly 96kbps...

Must see if one can better that via an App or their website, rather than iTunes...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              I've always been put off trying them as they are well down the bitrate list at a measly 96kbps...

Must see if one can better that via an App or their website, rather than iTunes...
                              Pixel snob too, are we?

Comment

Working...
                              X